Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any minor/major problems with vehicles produced in 2014?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery in July 2014 and have taken two SC trips to northern NJ already and one major stretch to Bethany Beach Del ( down to 18 miles on that trip!). No, real problems. Had to reboot the big screen a few times.... Called Tesla Service and they did something remotely and problem went away.

Picked up my S85 in late June 2014(2,000 miles). One minor issue, car would not charge above 30 amps. Car still charged but not at the 40 amp rate. I brought it into the SC at my convenience and they replaced the master charger. Had fun with a new Tesla loaner for the day (it had a few options I did not get - confirmed I made right choices). All good since. No other issues.

Spoke to soon got "Car needs service" message yesterday. Tesla remotely diagnosed it as a coolant pump taking it in on Friday. Wife asked if we got a lemon.

Unfortunately, the design flaw that leads to creases in the frunk, or hood, remains in even the newest vehicles. Take a look the next time you walk by a parked Tesla -- a good number of them have creases at the very front of the frunk because the frunk can't be closed unless by using Tesla's own specific method. So, many owners, including me, have had our frunks closed by regular people without special trunk-closing training (car detailers, family members, friends, valets who mistakenly open the frunk with the fob) -- and hence the creases on hundreds and hundreds of cars. The only fix is re-paint of part of the hood, which runs $2,000 or more -- and even after the fix, the crease could re-appear the next time a non-trained frunk opener gets his hands on the car. It is a ridiculous flaw in a car that costs more than $100,000. Showing my frunk crease to two friends had the effect of dissuading both from buying a Tesla -- I just wish someone had shown me The Tesla Crease before I bought!

Unfortunately, the design flaw that leads to creases in the frunk, or hood, remains in even the newest vehicles. Take a look the next time you walk by a parked Tesla -- a good number of them have creases at the very front of the frunk because the frunk can't be closed unless by using Tesla's own specific method. So, many owners, including me, have had our frunks closed by regular people without special trunk-closing training (car detailers, family members, friends, valets who mistakenly open the frunk with the fob) -- and hence the creases on hundreds and hundreds of cars. The only fix is re-paint of part of the hood, which runs $2,000 or more -- and even after the fix, the crease could re-appear the next time a non-trained frunk opener gets his hands on the car. It is a ridiculous flaw in a car that costs more than $100,000. Showing my frunk crease to two friends had the effect of dissuading both from buying a Tesla -- I just wish someone had shown me The Tesla Crease before I bought!

I was at the Tesla Short Hills NJ location and the manager showed me the proper way to close the frunk. You cant apply pressure at the front middle.. right above where the Tesla logo is because it doesnt have a lot of strength there since its aluminum so it can bend.

The proper place to apply pressure is along the slanted lines that come down since there is strong support there which keeps it from bending or causing damage. So you kind of have to stretch your arms and place your hands on those two spots to close the frunk.

Or, another option--since you know of the issue--is: don't let anyone close your frunk unless you show them how to do it.

Or, another option--since you know of the issue--is: don't let anyone close your frunk unless you show them how to do it.

My frunk has only been closed as instructed by Tesla and it has a dent. I'm a Tesla fanboy but can't defend them here, they made a mistake with the design. Having a design that doesn't allow others to use it is ridiculous. Imagine having a truck that had special instructions to close the tailgate or a car with a door that couldn't be closed without a training video. The frunk is part of what makes Tesla "Tesla". We should be able to use it like any other part of the car. It would cost Tesla at least $115M to fix the a cosmetic blemish, so don't expect that to happen anytime soon. I would have taken a non-aluminum hood, even if it meant worse range. Hate looking at my frunk now.

Just weird that some report issues and others say everything is fine.
I think there are a couple of things going on:

1. The hood design has changed two, or maybe more times since 2012. I guess that at least one iteration is more susceptible than the others.
2. Perhaps there's an external force impacting user experience. I have the Tesla wrap on my hood and never heard of this problem before reading the thread (and frankly haven't been all that careful closing the hood). Perhaps the wrap distributes closing force, mitigating dent risk.

galangg, The Tesla Crease is, unfortunately, a widespread problem -- there are numerous threads on this Forum, and on the Teslamotors.com forum detailing the issue which began with the very first vehicles produced and continues to this day. When I took my Tesla Crease to the Tesla-authorized body shop, the attendant just laughed, told me than he has seen many, many of these, and advised me not to get it fixed because of (1) the expense and (2) the near certainty that it would just happen again.

galangg, The Tesla Crease is, unfortunately, a widespread problem -- there are numerous threads on this Forum, and on the Teslamotors.com forum detailing the issue which began with the very first vehicles produced and continues to this day. When I took my Tesla Crease to the Tesla-authorized body shop, the attendant just laughed, told me than he has seen many, many of these, and advised me not to get it fixed because of (1) the expense and (2) the near certainty that it would just happen again.

I've seen the documented reports. I just find it interesting that some people are not seeing it. It makes me wonder what the differences really are.