Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any model 3 owners with a 3D printer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a project in mind that I think others might be able to utilize as well.

I volunteer with my local FD and use my model 3 to respond to calls. As such, I have some warning lights in the front of the vehicle.

Rather than using the suction cups, I would love to develop some sort of plastic tray that uses the design of the dash for stability. There is a grove that runs all along the dash, I was thinking of a piece that goes into that groove, connected to a thin plastic tray (roughly 8 inches wide).

I’ll include some photos of what I’m thinking but it’s hard to describe over text. I’ll try and sketch out the thought process as well

Attachments

• 21014F7E-82B6-4790-9741-1591196A1954.jpeg
    21014F7E-82B6-4790-9741-1591196A1954.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DD78271C-FD56-4E64-A0AA-5E53E1440DD7.jpeg
    DD78271C-FD56-4E64-A0AA-5E53E1440DD7.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 43323300-AB68-4852-9B60-B9BD404965B8.jpeg
    43323300-AB68-4852-9B60-B9BD404965B8.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
Having a 3D printer - and having the skills to design working original designs to print on them - are two distinct things. Some people can do both, most of us can't. One of my covid quarantine projects was to learn how to do 3D cad stuff for my printer, but alas I also was presented with a simultaneous quarantine divorce project, so the CAD project has had to take a back seat. Having said all that, yours sounds like a worthy project, and I wish I could help! Hopefully someone will come through.

Having a 3D printer - and having the skills to design working original designs to print on them - are two distinct things. Some people can do both, most of us can't. One of my covid quarantine projects was to learn how to do 3D cad stuff for my printer, but alas I also was presented with a simultaneous quarantine divorce project, so the CAD project has had to take a back seat. Having said all that, yours sounds like a worthy project, and I wish I could help! Hopefully someone will come through.
Appreciate the information! I have absolutely no knowledge on 3D printing or the complexities involved with it. So it’s interesting to hear how difficult the process could be.

Get a caliper and have a look at tinkercad.com and there is a free to use version of fusion360 by auto desk.

I can print for you, just need the dimensions of what your looking to do. Are you just setting there or does it attach to the lights?

if you can get me some basic dimensions I can see what I can come up with. I can measure the channel on my 2020

Reactions: Krash
/just went to look at dash

The groove isn't very deep. Wonder if a printed part would jump out of the groove with a bump in the road or slid to the side during a turn. Might need some anti slip padding on the bottom to keep it still at least side to side. Didn't really see where a printed part could "grab" onto the dash close to the base of the windshield.

What does the front of the lights look like? From the first pic, it looks like a shroud somewhat contoured to mate to the windshield.

Get a caliper and have a look at tinkercad.com and there is a free to use version of fusion360 by auto desk.

I can print for you, just need the dimensions of what your looking to do. Are you just setting there or does it attach to the lights?

if you can get me some basic dimensions I can see what I can come up with. I can measure the channel on my 2020

thank you! I will get some measurements and get back to you. I figured the lights could attached to the plastic “table” via 3M strips or some adhesive putty. Something to keep it in place without having to use the suction cups on the windshield.

/just went to look at dash

The groove isn't very deep. Wonder if a printed part would jump out of the groove with a bump in the road or slid to the side during a turn. Might need some anti slip padding on the bottom to keep it still at least side to side. Didn't really see where a printed part could "grab" onto the dash close to the base of the windshield.

What does the front of the lights look like? From the first pic, it looks like a shroud somewhat contoured to mate to the windshield.

I could probably just spray the curved part that sits in the groove with plastidip or some other thin plastic coating to give it an anti slip property.
The front of the light does have a shroud that contours to the window in order to prevent flashback.

Attachments

• 482591A3-D0AB-4B3E-9AC0-0C90FA7B1AC9.jpeg
    482591A3-D0AB-4B3E-9AC0-0C90FA7B1AC9.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 3CD8CDB2-C317-4B41-BD2D-EAFACCC8BC55.jpeg
    3CD8CDB2-C317-4B41-BD2D-EAFACCC8BC55.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 100
Can I ask why you dont want to use the suction cups? Looks like if you remove and install the bracket upside down it will sit flat on the dash for more support and hold your light in place.
The idea was to limit having to mount anything to the windshield or to the car.

by flipping the bracket upside down, I would have to figure out a way to attach it to the dash/speaker grill. The goal is to keep it removable with no modifications to the vehicle.

using the suction cups as they are is perfectly fine, but it looks a lot cleaner and less noticeable without them.

I figured developing some sort of “table” set up that rests on the speaker grill and uses the curved indention in the dash for support would be the cleanest method. Not to mention others can use the same set up to rest radar detectors or whatever else they might want to.

First prototype printing to check fitment.
yes!! I am so excited to see this is a 3D format.

I did some measurements:
Light: 10"w x 4"d

When the light is in the window:
Distance from glass to back of light: 4"
Distance from glass to indent in dash: 4.55" - 4.75" (tough to get a perfect read from the tape measurer.

The image you linked above could totally work with just the back section of the light being adhered to the piece while the front portion rests on the speaker grill.

The other option is to extend the flat portion so it goes all the way to the windshield. I dont think it matters one way or another.

Let me know what other measurements, photos, or videos I can send to you

Pennies or dimes....if you have a printer..... I can make you a pair to test fit. Without the light kinda hard to get close. What are the diameter of the screws?
I do not have a printer. That’s sort of the problem. Would you be able to print some different versions of these and then I can pay you for shipping? Or know how to get local 3D printing done?

according to the manual the screws are 10-24 X 3/8 PHILLIPS PAN HEAD MACHINE SCREW WITH IT LOCK WASHER

I can print you some and mail. Or, sometimes there are some local groups that might be able to do it. Would take a little googling to find out. I can you send you the model and the "stl" file if you find some one local.