Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 Performance Package Owners Switch from 20" Wheels to 19"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you post a link to the wheels and tires you bought? very interested and thank you for the great comment!!!
I bought CCW Monoblock forged wheels in 19x9 size in gunmetal gloss finish. They aren't cheap but I've used them before without ever having a bent wheel, when when driving over some pretty rough stuff. You can spec nearly every aspect of the wheel and they are machined specifically for you. Send me a DM if you want more details on my specs. Also, I put 245/40/19 Michelin PS4S tires on it since I don't' drive the car in the winter.

CCW SP16A Forged Wheels - CCW Wheels

Do you have a Tesla Model 3 2019? Konig says this year and model has a max offset of 40 and the tires you recommend has a 45 offset?
I have a 2020... The wheels I got are 19x9.5 35mm offset, running 265/35/19. I went wider as I wanted something with a little more grip

Attachments

• IMG-20200901-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20200901-WA0004.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 886
I bought CCW Monoblock forged wheels in 19x9 size in gunmetal gloss finish. They aren't cheap but I've used them before without ever having a bent wheel, when when driving over some pretty rough stuff. You can spec nearly every aspect of the wheel and they are machined specifically for you. Send me a DM if you want more details on my specs. Also, I put 245/40/19 Michelin PS4S tires on it since I don't' drive the car in the winter.

CCW SP16A Forged Wheels - CCW Wheels

BTW, I was just looking, and the is definitely an error in the gunmetal gloss price. It seems like someone added a zero. I'm sure it's the same as any of the other gloss colors. Just give them a call or email for a quote.

They look great! But I am confused you wrote after you Bend/Break one of the 20s you are thinking about making a switch? Please clarify I thought you already replaced to 19" wheels and tires?
Also Can you please post a link to the 19" wheels and tires you purchased and like? this is a very useful reply. Thank you!!

I live in Wisconsin and have a different set of Wheels/Tires for winter driving (the TSportline Falcons and Pirelli Sottozero). I believe this is a link to them Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TS5 Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Winter Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories . I use the original Tesla 20" wheels and tires for summer driving. If and when I bend/break one of the original Tesla 20" wheels I believe I will use the previously mentioned 19" TSportline wheels mounted with summer tires and buy a different set of 18" wheels and tires for winter driving. My current TSportline winter/wheel tire setup is in my profile picture.

I have an M3P+. I changed from the 20's to 19's just to drop a few pounds. The ONLY thing I can complain about is the speedometer. No matter what tire size I pick, the error is still +5% on the speedo.

I went with signature. Great help and they didn't complain as I he
20191102_164435.jpg
m-hawd about which set to get.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I did this (20->19). Speedo error is ~1%.
Thoroughly enjoying the extra sidewall.
Am not a pro driver, so I cannot feel the handling difference between 20 and 19. Nor do I drive like I am on a track at the absolute limit.
And I dropped quite a bit of unsuspended weight at each corner.
Signature Wheels SV501, 19x8, ET 18.
245/40ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
FCB25B41-D0A6-4482-A48D-8791894328D0.jpeg
94121910-CE9A-4E7E-BA6A-A39840BA170A.jpeg
D8385ECA-FC86-4280-A350-4D864666A28D.jpeg
99F58F74-34B6-4881-9696-7B6B069E2D49.jpeg

I have a 3P (stealth, tho) and run 19s in summer and 18s in winter. Not having the larger PUP brakes affords more options (in my case, both sets of aforementioned wheels are OEM so Tesla will work on them, if needed). Those 20s sure do look great, but they’d last all of 20 minutes on these pot-holed, heaved and ill-maintained Chicago roads.

I live in the Chicago area and have been downtown multiple times with my 20" wheels. Zero issues. Pay attention and don't drive into giant potholes and they are fine. The 20" issues are overblown. Just like 19" issues were when they started shipping on cars and 18" before that. I've been watching the worry warts on different car forums for years. The basic fact is if you hit a massive pothole or an object in the road at speed with ANY setup, you are susceptible to damage.

I live in the Chicago area and have been downtown multiple times with my 20" wheels. Zero issues. Pay attention and don't drive into giant potholes and they are fine. The 20" issues are overblown. Just like 19" issues were when they started shipping on cars and 18" before that. I've been watching the worry warts on different car forums for years. The basic fact is if you hit a massive pothole or an object in the road at speed with ANY setup, you are susceptible to damage.
100% agree.
I've blown 3 tires in my life, 2 from a metal rod that a trailer dropped on the highway (glad I wasn't impaled), and once when there was a massive pothole that I couldn't see in the dark. On my Mazda2, which I believe had something like 185/45/r15.
Cracked the rim as well, government paid for a new one because they assessed the pothole as a danger to traffic.

Reactions: vogz
Yeah, this is pretty much true. I remember when I had an RX-7 with 16s, and 18s were the "big" wheel. Fast-forward to today, and 18s are now small, lol.

In my experience, more tire is better in theory and I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but in practice, it comes down to a number of factors and a degree of luck.

Reactions: vogz
Just curious if anyone out there has had 20" wheels and switched to 19" and if they have noticed any performance changes in handling or had any less flats? I am considering buying a new set of wheels and tires and would appreciate anyone's relevant experiences before making a final decision.

I still have original Michelin PS4's on my 20" wheels, but have bought and been riding on 18" winter wheels and tires for the last two seasons.
I set of 18x8.5 wheels and 235/45-18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires ran me ~$1800 a year and a half ago:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...19&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=

You have to be careful when shopping for a set of sub-20" diameter wheels for your TM3P to make sure that (1) wheel barrel clears the large brake calipers; (2) wheel lip interfaces with the poorly machined wheel hubs that have a lip.
Other than that, there are plenty of 19" and 18" wheels that can be installed on TM3P, if one so desires.

For me I kept the 20" on my recent TM3P, because Tesla won't put anything smaller on and said I'd lose some of the warranties if I put an unsupported wheel size on it.

That's not true - installing any size wheels and tires has no direct impact on warranty.

Buy the Tesla Gemini 19” winter wheel package ( Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package ) and switch to all seasons when you wear out the winter tires

Whatever you do, please don't switch to all-season tires. They suck in all seasons.
If you have need for real winter tires, all-seasons will leave you in a ditch in a snow/ice storm.
If you live in an environment where summer tires are appropriate, riding on all-seasons would be a massive handling downgrade. Please don't neuter your car, you will regret it !

Does anyone know if the original tire pressure sensors from the factory 20” wheels and tires will work with new after market 19” wheels and tires?

Yes, of course they will.
Tire pressure sensors are not depending on the size of the wheel on which they are mounted.

HTH,
a