Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 Performance Package Owners Switch from 20" Wheels to 19"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to be careful when shopping for a set of sub-20" diameter wheels for your TM3P to make sure that (1) wheel barrel clears the large brake calipers; (2) wheel lip interfaces with the poorly machined wheel hubs that have a lip.
The wheel hubs weren't poorly machined; they were designed that way. The hub sticking out beyond the rotor is due to the rotor hats on the 2 piece rotors that are part of the performance upgrade package, being thinner than the hat portion of the one piece iron rotors on other Model 3s. Rather than having different wheel hubs for the performance model, Tesla chose to design the performance wheels to clear the hub.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I did this (20->19). Speedo error is ~1%.
Thoroughly enjoying the extra sidewall.
Am not a pro driver, so I cannot feel the handling difference between 20 and 19. Nor do I drive like I am on a track at the absolute limit.
And I dropped quite a bit of unsuspended weight at each corner.
Signature Wheels SV501, 19x8, ET 18.
245/40ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
View attachment 610818 View attachment 610819 View attachment 610820 View attachment 610821
Have to agree with everyone on signature wheels. Wheels are TRUE to weight. 20lbs for 20”. Didn’t go lower in diameter but shaved a ton! Wheel and tire combo only 43lbs.
37159644-230C-4B6B-BC33-495472C92224.jpeg
1F1BC9A2-7D54-43B2-9DA7-D668A307927D.jpeg

I live in the Chicago area and have been downtown multiple times with my 20" wheels. Zero issues. Pay attention and don't drive into giant potholes and they are fine. The 20" issues are overblown. Just like 19" issues were when they started shipping on cars and 18" before that. I've been watching the worry warts on different car forums for years. The basic fact is if you hit a massive pothole or an object in the road at speed with ANY setup, you are susceptible to damage.
Amen; that makes two Chicagoans with still perfect 20" wheels!

Reactions: vogz
Pay attention and don't drive into giant potholes and they are fine.
Don't drive into downtown (or, soon, anywhere) a night then. I'm in MI, and bending a rim is a matter of luck rather than skill, if you drive at all during the night.

I do see your point though, I think people using AP/FSD are probably more likely to bend their rims.

Personally, I just don't like the look/specs of OEM 20"s, so they've been collecting dust. I may pick-up some 19x10" rims, now that I'm lowered/cambered.

I did...... for my snow tires. The ride is definitely "squishier" with the snows compared to the PS4S and most of that is from the taller and softer tread blocks. Still running them at 42 psi.

I plan on running 20s when not on the winter setup. Might splurge and get some forged wheels, but suspension is first.

Attachments

• D9C298EC-BB64-4D56-BC05-25006C9B78C2-9080AE50-F705-46AA-9693-E77C79849856.jpg
    D9C298EC-BB64-4D56-BC05-25006C9B78C2-9080AE50-F705-46AA-9693-E77C79849856.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
  • 086A0BCC-30F6-4C7C-9446-01F06551BEF5-FE6AB061-40C8-4593-8A1B-1C9E2483765B.jpg
    086A0BCC-30F6-4C7C-9446-01F06551BEF5-FE6AB061-40C8-4593-8A1B-1C9E2483765B.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 184
Anybody ever have a problem getting your 245's mounted up? I went to Discount and asked for 245's Pilot Sports and the sales guy went to the MGR to talk about it. The MGR came over and said they couldn't mount the 245's because they don't have the Load Carrying Capacity that the 235's have. I was surprised but he showed me on their website where the 245's are significantly lower than the 235's.

I told him I'd take responsibility but he said it's illegal for him to do it on a public road car.

Anybody ever have a problem getting your 245's mounted up? I went to Discount and asked for 245's Pilot Sports and the sales guy went to the MGR to talk about it. The MGR came over and said they couldn't mount the 245's because they don't have the Load Carrying Capacity that the 235's have. I was surprised but he showed me on their website where the 245's are significantly lower than the 235's.

I told him I'd take responsibility but he said it's illegal for him to do it on a public road car.
It isn't a matter of size. It's a matter of load rating. I have 245s on my car, but they have an XL load rating. You might find someone, somewhere, to mount them up for you, but I'm not surprised Discount Tire wouldn't install them for you. A tire with a lower load rating could suffer a blowout under bad conditions, and if that happened, the tire store that put them on would undoubtedly be sued.

Reactions: e-FTW
He probably had the performance car without the performance package, aka “stealth” performance.

they are no longer sold in that configuration.

the next time I change my tires, I might switch wheels to 19”. Don’t necessarily have issues with the 20”, but the 19” should be better for my objectives (comfort, weight)

I am on the same wave - I want 19’s as my next set for my M3P BUT I need to know what fits - I’m sure I’ll find some thread about it here!!!!

I got a flat 3 months into owning my 2020 M3P and I learned the hard way that if you take it to the SC it’s $400 for a tyre replacement. I thought I was going to need winter tyres but the winter in MD is very mild so I’m still rocking the stock summers lol. I did buy a set of 20’ all season tyres but they are some beat off brand - the whole set was $375 for brand new tyres lol. I’m keeping them in case I ever get another flat - I will have a spare ready and the SC can replace it for $100 (still expensive IMO) OR I can just slap those on the stock rims once these summer tyres are due for replacing. In any case - I am excited for a new set of 19’ wheels! Because I do think the 20’s are a bit uncomfortable. My car does show the option to choose which wheels I have on and I think the 19’s do come up but I could be wrong.

Exactly! Philly pot holes have cost me 4-5 flats so far with my 20s...

Dang y’all making me NOT want to drive into the City with my M3P - so far I had a flat but it wasn’t really a flat flat. I had a nail in it but lost no pressure - I freaked out bc we were going on a road trip the upcoming weekend so I had the Tesla SC replace it - it was $400. They let me keep the damaged tyre and that’s when I learned that the nail was tiny and hadn’t even gone through the tyre. I was mad AF and $400 broker lol but I still love the 20’s.

After this traumatic experience I bought a hole set of all season tyres that fit the stock 20’s for like $375 lol it was from a website they shipped them from philly and tbh I thought it was a scam until the tyres got here and looked legit and brand new - from some random ass brand but still look great lol. I haven’t even put them on because the winters in Maryland are mild and with Rona and the riots in DC - I’m
Not going anywhere lol. But my goal is to be able to get a set of 19’s that fit in my M3P because I do feel like the ride in the 20’s is a little rough

I live in Wisconsin and have a different set of Wheels/Tires for winter driving (the TSportline Falcons and Pirelli Sottozero). I believe this is a link to them Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TS5 Flow Forged Tesla Wheel and Winter Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories . I use the original Tesla 20" wheels and tires for summer driving. If and when I bend/break one of the original Tesla 20" wheels I believe I will use the previously mentioned 19" TSportline wheels mounted with summer tires and buy a different set of 18" wheels and tires for winter driving. My current TSportline winter/wheel tire setup is in my profile picture.

Do you know if the lug covers from the OEM Zero-G wheels fit these? I emailed T Sportline about it and all they would tell me is to buy theirs, which are completely different.

Reactions: Dr3AM3R

I never have trouble with this because I remove the wheels, throw them in the back of the van, and then take them to the tire shop. Most times they don't even ask what they fit.

Reactions: Dr3AM3R
Yes, I swapped from 20 to 19 Titan 7. Lovely wheels, lovely things. Not super expensive but not the cheapest either...

Well worth it imho. Slightly more rubber, just enough more. I would probably go 18s next, this was such a pleasant difference. Also, going from 235 or whatever to 275 was a revelation for handling. Not ideal for distance obviously, but it works enough for distance if I keep the speed down... (m3p is hard to do this...)

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr3AM3R and ianc
Dang y’all making me NOT want to drive into the City with my M3P - so far I had a flat but it wasn’t really a flat flat. I had a nail in it but lost no pressure - I freaked out bc we were going on a road trip the upcoming weekend so I had the Tesla SC replace it - it was $400. They let me keep the damaged tyre and that’s when I learned that the nail was tiny and hadn’t even gone through the tyre. I was mad AF and $400 broker lol but I still love the 20’s.

After this traumatic experience I bought a hole set of all season tyres that fit the stock 20’s for like $375 lol it was from a website they shipped them from philly and tbh I thought it was a scam until the tyres got here and looked legit and brand new - from some random ass brand but still look great lol. I haven’t even put them on because the winters in Maryland are mild and with Rona and the riots in DC - I’m
Not going anywhere lol. But my goal is to be able to get a set of 19’s that fit in my M3P because I do feel like the ride in the 20’s is a little rough

I think we used the same website LOL

I have had the M3P for around a month. Since it came with 20" summer tires, and I like to stay alive (live in Boston Metro area) I immediately got 18" wheels with Pirelli Sottozeros. (After speaking with my tire guy, Jay Condrick of Tread COnnection, mobile tire service). I was initially thinking of 20" snows and just swapping the tires off the rims, but the 18" wheels and tire package was basically the same price as 4 20" snows (image attached). I thought the 18"s might look funny, but they don't at all, and much better with a bigger sidewall in the snow.
FWIW I'm a little nervous about the 20's in the summer with everything I'm reading. Never had an issue with flats before....

Attachments

• WheelsOnVehicle.pdf
    570.8 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: BayAreaCelt