Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 Performance Package Owners Switch from 20" Wheels to 19"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a friend of mine the other day, he owns a Tesla 3 Performance package as well. I checked out his wheels and tires and noticed his side walls looked larger than mine and he had Continental brand tires as opposed to Michelin which I have. His wheels were actually 19" not 20" and he has had his car for the same amount of time I have, about a 1-1/2 years and has had zero flats.
Just curious if anyone out there has had 20" wheels and switched to 19" and if they have noticed any performance changes in handling or had any less flats? I am considering buying a new set of wheels and tires and would appreciate anyone's relevant experiences before making a final decision.

There are tons of threads about tyres, wheel sizes and performance differences in the "driving dynamics" part of the forum.
Highly recommend you take a look.
For me I kept the 20" on my recent TM3P, because Tesla won't put anything smaller on and said I'd lose some of the warranties if I put an unsupported wheel size on it.
Also, I think 20" is the only registered size for it, so according to Norwegian laws I'm not allowed to put anything else on it.

He probably had the performance car without the performance package, aka “stealth” performance.

they are no longer sold in that configuration.

the next time I change my tires, I might switch wheels to 19”. Don’t necessarily have issues with the 20”, but the 19” should be better for my objectives (comfort, weight)

He probably had the performance car without the performance package, aka “stealth” performance.

the next time I change my tires, I might switch wheels to 19”. Don’t necessarily have issues with the 20”, but the 19” should be better for my objectives (comfort, weight)
Cost. Proper 20" winter tires was around $2k last time I checked.

I have a 3P (stealth, tho) and run 19s in summer and 18s in winter. Not having the larger PUP brakes affords more options (in my case, both sets of aforementioned wheels are OEM so Tesla will work on them, if needed). Those 20s sure do look great, but they’d last all of 20 minutes on these pot-holed, heaved and ill-maintained Chicago roads.

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
I have a 3P (stealth, tho) and run 19s in summer and 18s in winter. Not having the larger PUP brakes affords more options (in my case, both sets of aforementioned wheels are OEM so Tesla will work on them, if needed). Those 20s sure do look great, but they’d last all of 20 minutes on these pot-holed, heaved and ill-maintained Chicago roads.
Exactly! Philly pot holes have cost me 4-5 flats so far with my 20s...

Performance Package is what I purchased and chose the 20” wheel option. Wish I went with 19”. Every time I run over a pebble I get a flat....

• Informative
Reactions: BetterSlowDown
I have aftermarket forged 19's on mine since shortly after new. Within days of getting the car I had a few minor flat spots in the wheels from just regular expansion cracks etc in the road, no potholes. OEM wheels were replaced and then sold. I have had zero issues with my mono block forged CCW wheels. Not one flat, bent wheels, or any issue. I have hit some rough patches of road as well. The factory 20's are just too weak being non forged for having such small side walls on a heavy car.

4500 miles and no issues yet; won't get any more for a while now that I am on my 18" winter Vredesteins and can be a little less attentive!

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
I have 19" T Sportline Falcon wheels with winter tires which I am about ready to put on again. I think they look better than the 20" and am thinking of using them in the summer and getting either another set of 19" or maybe 18" for my winter tires. The first time I bend/break one of the 20's I'm making the switch.

I have aftermarket forged 19's on mine since shortly after new. Within days of getting the car I had a few minor flat spots in the wheels from just regular expansion cracks etc in the road, no potholes. OEM wheels were replaced and then sold. I have had zero issues with my mono block forged CCW wheels. Not one flat, bent wheels, or any issue. I have hit some rough patches of road as well. The factory 20's are just too weak being non forged for having such small side walls on a heavy car.
Can you post a link to the wheels and tires you bought? very interested and thank you for the great comment!!!

I have 19" T Sportline Falcon wheels with winter tires which I am about ready to put on again. I think they look better than the 20" and am thinking of using them in the summer and getting either another set of 19" or maybe 18" for my winter tires. The first time I bend/break one of the 20's I'm making the switch.
They look great! But I am confused you wrote after you Bend/Break one of the 20s you are thinking about making a switch? Please clarify I thought you already replaced to 19" wheels and tires?
Also Can you please post a link to the 19" wheels and tires you purchased and like? this is a very useful reply. Thank you!!

The Gemini design wheels are just...unfortunate looking though

Has anyone powder coated/plastidipped these to something darker? Agree they're pretty ugly as-is.

Thinking about upgrading to the 2021 P3D but figuring out wheel options. The 20" are so nice (mixed feelings on the new rims, though) but what to do in the Seattle "winter" I'm not so sure on.

Think on one of my 20" Michelin's blew out yesterday. I Missed running over a pot hole by a foot, got a sympathy flat. Seriously tho, my tire pressure dropped to 30 two days in a row. Probably a nail or something. This is starting to get ridiculous....