Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model 3 with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old:
00CC777D-2BB7-450A-B9C5-A14C98E7E742.jpeg

New:
0DC7E3A8-E5B8-401F-88BA-CC3B4D4C6539.jpeg

"though I do wish the headlights steered"
I read somewhere that the new lights are capable of left/right movement for turning illumination and just need to be activated and/or approved? Or I could just be tripping?
I recall reading something similar. May have been a reddit thread or something, but there was mention that U.S. regulations prevent the left/right movement at the moment.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Confirmed. My 2007 3 series had them. They were physically turned by the steering arms. I miss them!

Not quite. The link to the suspension arm goes to an electronic box that determines which way to move the headlight. This allows for the headlight to move up and down, and the sensor on the steering determines left & right. In true BMW fashion that is an expensive box that breaks often...

Ah, good to know. Does this mean I can't believe everything I read on the internet? :)
Matrix LED is not the same as turning headlights. Turning headlights have been a thing for like almost two decades in the US. Matrix LEDs are NOT allowed yet, maybe the law will get updated soon.

Matrix LEDs can dim certain sections within the headlight that is shining on opposite cars. So Matrix LED headlights don't have to flick the highbeams on and off when it sees a car.

These new headlights look like upgraded projector LED headlights, not Matrix LED.

Rule is still final stages.

Last edited:
These new headlights look like upgraded projector LED headlights, not Matrix LED.

"Projector" and "Matrix" are not mutually exclusive. Projector-like optical design is he generalized type, i.e. the superset.

A projector-type optical path design implies that there is a focusing projection lens (what you see from the outside). The illuminated source is placed at the focal plane so that its focused image is projected (and usually inverted in a simple projection design) to the outside. So the illuminated source can be a bulb or LED in a properly-designed shaped reflector to project a well-controlled beam pattern. But it can also be a detailed image, formed possibly by an LED matrix of somewhat coarse pixels. The first examples, AFAIK, were a 1-D array of columnar "pixels" that could selectively illuminate or suppress columns of light in the projected beam pattern. Newer examples have a 2-D array of row/column pixels that can selectively illuminate regions in both X and Y. I've seen videos of these newer matrix lights that can create projected text messages, logos and other images onto the pavement or a wall in front. This is of course a kind of cool party trick in the same vein as the Tesla animal and bathroom sounds from the digital audio horn speaker.

In theory, the projector headlight could be morphed into a real image projector with high resolution RGB images, just like a digital conference-room projector - though that seems probably wasteful considering the main intended purpose: full-time high-beams with no light-blinding effect on other drivers, pedestrians and perhaps animals.

So are all Model 3's coming with the new headlights now? Anyone know / recall if it made its way through the M3P first then the other trims? How long did it take to make it though all trims?

MY buyer here, trying to get some sort of indication how long I'll be waiting for the new headlights in the MY LR.

"Projector" and "Matrix" are not mutually exclusive. Projector-like optical design is he generalized type, i.e. the superset.

A projector-type optical path design implies that there is a focusing projection lens (what you see from the outside). The illuminated source is placed at the focal plane so that its focused image is projected (and usually inverted in a simple projection design) to the outside. So the illuminated source can be a bulb or LED in a properly-designed shaped reflector to project a well-controlled beam pattern. But it can also be a detailed image, formed possibly by an LED matrix of somewhat coarse pixels. The first examples, AFAIK, were a 1-D array of columnar "pixels" that could selectively illuminate or suppress columns of light in the projected beam pattern. Newer examples have a 2-D array of row/column pixels that can selectively illuminate regions in both X and Y. I've seen videos of these newer matrix lights that can create projected text messages, logos and other images onto the pavement or a wall in front. This is of course a kind of cool party trick in the same vein as the Tesla animal and bathroom sounds from the digital audio horn speaker.

In theory, the projector headlight could be morphed into a real image projector with high resolution RGB images, just like a digital conference-room projector - though that seems probably wasteful considering the main intended purpose: full-time high-beams with no light-blinding effect on other drivers, pedestrians and perhaps animals.
Please show me this trick where a select area inside a projector bulb can be turned off. I would like to see this also.