Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S or X received the Holiday update yet? What about external speakers on s/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in knowing more from S and X users about the new holiday update. Did you guys even receive it? I haven't been able to find a single S or X user to confirm this on r/teslamotors. Also does anyone know if the model S and X have external speakers? It almost seems like Tesla stopped giving a sh*t about S and X a long time ago and even now when a refresh is on the horizon I feel like I got double screwed especially because I picked up my car in October. I'm already salty about that and now I'm experiencing the second hand citizen status of owning the expensive model for which I can't even find proper interior vinyl wraps. It almost makes me upset that all the new features have been for the cheaper variants while the more expensive models S and X are ignored by Tesla. It's such a shame and a disappointing way of doing business. Anyways, back to the topic.

Can someone please confirm if Mode S and X have external speakers and if any of you guys received the update? Won't be surprised if the answer to both is no, since Tesla is now a 3 and Y brand any way.

No update here yet.

No external speaker on the S/X yet to my knowledge.

I’m not sure the lack of aftermarket chintzy vinyl wraps is a useful indicator of “second class” status vs reality of the market and sales volume.

If you think you’re disappointed now, wait ‘til they refresh the S/X in January and add all the stuff you’re pissed you don’t have! ;)

Lol yup! As expected. Here at Tesla, the late and the cheap bird gets the worm. Vinyl wraps aren't indicative of the second class citizenship but you know what I'm talking about. There are way less choices for Model S and X than there are for 3/Y due to the former being more expensive. But you know what I meant by that lol

Refresh was to come in Q1 according to the guy who predicted a bunch of Tesla stuff back in August and was proven right by October. Oh well, I cannot wait to be more pissed in a few weeks. Thanks for confirming my point though

I’m mostly just sayin, love the one you’re with. ;)

The 3 is a cool car, but I’m happy every time I get into my “second class” four year old drop-dead beautiful Model S. The 3 looks like a platypus from a few too many angles for me.

There’s always something newer or better. The S/X is never going to be the bleeding-edge rapid iteration/improvement model again. Maybe if you think of it more as “artisan” or “hand crafted” you’ll be happier? ;)

Oh I agree with you 101%
Model S/X are superior to 3/Y in my opinion, especially when it comes to comfort level for long drives. In fact, that's the reason I upgraded to model S from a 3 since I was driving upwards of 700 miles a week and 3 was giving me tinnitis and headache due to insane road noise and bumpy ride. I test drove a model s and was convinced it's a better car so I got one. I absolutely love it but I'd be lying if I'd say that it doesn't bother me seeing all the 3s and Ys with features that are missing in my S but then I think about how comfortable the ride is in a S and I feel better lol
Anyways, still crazy to see that us s/x owners didn't get the holiday update. Looking forward to being left out big time in a few weeks once a refreshed S and X comes out

Does the update have a 360/Birdseye view?
No, it doesn't. Musk tweeted and said more to come so may be they'll add the stuff that people are expecting:
360 degree bird's eye view
In-app access to the cameras
Sideview cameras availability during lane changes
Way points etc etc.
The fact that none of this was in this update makes it a very lackluster update to say the least but still Tesla is at least updating their vehicles unlike other dealerships so that's that.

No, it doesn't. Musk tweeted and said more to come so may be they'll add the stuff that people are expecting:
360 degree bird's eye view
In-app access to the cameras
Sideview cameras availability during lane changes
Way points etc etc.
The fact that none of this was in this update makes it a very lackluster update to say the least but still Tesla is at least updating their vehicles unlike other dealerships so that's that.
agree but I would really like to have the waypoint update

Reactions: TravelFree
Only Model S manufactured in September 2020 have an external speaker as confirmed from the manual. This makes me extremely mad at Tesla and it almost feels like I was honey dicked into this purchase. I not only missed the range increase but I also missed the external speaker. Of course, for Model 3 the external speakers started a year ago. This is very upsetting.

it almost feels like I was honey dicked into this purchase.
Ok, I get the frustration. Things change and sometimes you miss them. But really?

If it’s any consolation, your 2020 performance Model S costs about the same as a RWD S75 when I bought my car in 2016. You are driving a modern marvel at an incredible value. If you’re gonna get “honey dicked” mad about missing out on an external speaker and a few miles of range on the display, you’re playing the wrong game. You need to get yourself back in a traditional car from a traditional company pronto.

Less than 12 hours ago the only mentions of external speakers on this forum were all variants of the question “how do I disconnect my external speaker?”

Only Model S manufactured in September 2020 have an external speaker as confirmed from the manual. This makes me extremely mad at Tesla and it almost feels like I was honey dicked into this purchase. I not only missed the range increase but I also missed the external speaker. Of course, for Model 3 the external speakers started a year ago. This is very upsetting.
Mate, you got a great car, the car you were happy to pay for!
Enjoy the hell out of it and try to have not so much FOMO- that way unhappiness lies.
Every Model S built in 2020 is a fabulous car, and good value. If you want to compare., compare the value of what you got to something form, say, 2015: yours has WAY more features and range. Enjoy!

It's not the a few miles of range and external speaker that gets me. My biggest bother is the timing of the refresh. I am just worried that a refresh will significantly reduce my car's value. Not to mention, some people who ordered in November aren't assigned vin and will be getting a refreshed model s/x which gets me the most because I missed that by a month.

By "honey dicked", I really was talking about the rep I talked to who was convincing lol but it's nobody else's fault but mine. Nah! I am not going to a traditional car company. Been driving a Tesla for 2 years and doubt I'll ever go back

But you guys are right. What's happened was bound to happen regardless. Need to quit complaining about it. Thanks for your replies guys. I appreciate it.