Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S or X received the Holiday update yet? What about external speakers on s/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With no official model year/generation development cycles like traditional car makers, this is the unfortunate side effect. Same thing happened with the transition from Tegra MCU1 over to Intel MCU2. If you took delivery of the last batch of Tegra cars and then found out if you only waited a month...

And it is rampant in Tech. No sooner had I ordered a new gaming rig w/ dual 2080's, NVIDIA announces the 3080. C'est la vie.

Personally, I am super glad that I do not have an external speaker. At some point the feds will require Tesla to make them emit some obnoxious sound as a pedestrian warning. Part of what I love about EVs is that they are quiet. The external speaker in any future EV I purchase will suffer some sort of untimely malfunction.

But, I understand the OPs frustration. Elon has said multiple times that S/X will be where new tech is implemented first. But those are just another in a very long list of Elon's lies. I've been lied to repeatedly for over 10 years now. You get used to it.

Reactions: umair239
Only Model S manufactured in September 2020 have an external speaker as confirmed from the manual. This makes me extremely mad at Tesla and it almost feels like I was honey dicked into this purchase. I not only missed the range increase but I also missed the external speaker. Of course, for Model 3 the external speakers started a year ago. This is very upsetting.

I feel you. Not pissed as much for the speaker but more at missing the range increase. The rep almost sworn several times that there is A) No refresh B) No new battery and we will get regular improvements.
Picked the car in September which had few minor build issues. They convinced me to take it and that they'll sort it. Honey dicked twice! Should have had the courage to reject it lol

When I confronted the rep at tesla. He was saying the car appreciated in value. I was no, the build after September had the range increase. He claimed that mine did too but it doesn't show on the dashboard...

Looking forward for Mercedes EQS in 2022 and I'll be moving on from the Tesla experiment to proper car manufacturers.

Looking forward for Mercedes EQS in 2022 and I'll be moving on from the Tesla experiment to proper car manufacturers.

I've been an owner of multiple Teslas for 6 years now. I'm as frustrated as any owner with the hype Musk generates, but if you think the legacy automakers are immune from hype, poor quality, and misinformation at the sales rep level, you might not have purchased a vehicle in the last 80 years...Mercedes, in particular, and most of the legacy car companies, have had numerous issues over the years adapting tech into their vehicles. And promises broken ? How many new vehicles / features were announced that never made it to production ? How long have they been talking about alternative fuel vehicles, with all their resources, and what has actually been released to market successfully ? I wouldn't hold your breath on the EQS...

My FIL had an SL550 they couldn't make the Bluetooth work for 5 years...so, while we all deserve to receive accurate, timely, and functional updates and information, Tesla is just one among the many that aren't able to do so.

That said, my vehicle is substantially superior now to when I originally purchased it, and no other vehicle manufacturer on the planet today provides that opportunity to their customers. Oh, yeah, and I still love driving it every time I get into it.

I've been an owner of multiple Teslas for 6 years now. I'm as frustrated as any owner with the hype Musk generates, but if you think the legacy automakers are immune from hype, poor quality, and misinformation at the sales rep level, you might not have purchased a vehicle in the last 80 years...Mercedes, in particular, and most of the legacy car companies, have had numerous issues over the years adapting tech into their vehicles. And promises broken ? How many new vehicles / features were announced that never made it to production ? How long have they been talking about alternative fuel vehicles, with all their resources, and what has actually been released to market successfully ? I wouldn't hold your breath on the EQS...

My FIL had an SL550 they couldn't make the Bluetooth work for 5 years...so, while we all deserve to receive accurate, timely, and functional updates and information, Tesla is just one among the many that aren't able to do so.

That said, my vehicle is substantially superior now to when I originally purchased it, and no other vehicle manufacturer on the planet today provides that opportunity to their customers. Oh, yeah, and I still love driving it every time I get into it.
Have to agree - the Tesla Way has its own problems, but in the balance of things I find it generally superior to the “proper car manufacturer” way. Though I understand why some reach a different conclusion.

Reactions: msm859

I have to agree with you. Bought a Model 3 in 2018 and never looked back at legacy automakers products again. It'll take some convincing for me to move to other automakers at this point. As frustrated as I am I still love my Tesla

Reactions: 2101Guy
.... I have the Unwrapping Present screen up, and Cream "Sunshine of your Love" is playing in the X...

"I've been waiting so long... to be where I'm going... in the sunshine of your looooooove..."

Can't believe I'm in the first few thousands on the Model X to install 2020.48.26...
Must be rolling out wide. Teslafi.com is stalling ;- )

-TechVP

I got the update on my 2020 Model X.

The "new and improved" supercharger graphic is worse.
Instead of showing 20 chargers near me, how large they are, and how many stalls are free, I just get to see how many are free. Less information is never better...

Attachments

• PXL_20201226_233315883 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20201226_233315883 - Copy.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20201226_233421619 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20201226_233421619 - Copy.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 79
An Accessibly mode will now be necessary for font size. I concur with others. That was an abrupt font change. To note:
The Park, Reverse, Drive and Neutral indicators are now on the MX (in my opinion) too small and in a position easily occluded by a slightly turned steering wheel.
I’m going to be patient as this is a warm up to the V11 layout, I suspect. Hope they do better.
-TechVP

Tthe last over-the-air update I got was for my Equinox, not my Model S. Tesla is no longer the only company updating OTA.

Several legacy companies have or will have limited OTA updating - but none that I know of are adding additional features to their vehicles. Most are bug fixes or navigation updates. My Teslas are doing things they weren't able to do when I bought them - and not just optional features you could have chosen to to buy and didn't, but completely new features not available at the time of purchase. No other vehicle does that yet.

Is the rep correct?
After all, it is an update , not a new battery.

Nop the rep is obviously incorrect. There is no improvement in battery unless you have a September build which is when tesla increased the MS price . Just shows they have no knowledge of their own cars. Or they are straight forward lying which I don't believe is the case.

Ive been watching the market closely, and I fear for tesla in 2022 unless they do a drastic change. They did lead the market and actually moved the market and other manufacturers to wake up. But if you look at how proper car manufacturer are now gearing to go proper electric, tesla shortfall from the quality of build, and superiority of the interior and exterior they'll fall behind. Porch tycan build quality and attention to detail is just a start. And I know a few that went witb tycan instead of tesla.

Benz mbux system beats tesla OS by miles. The EQS interior and features is simply in a different league. Eqs platform they are producing is different with atleast 435 mile range expected.

S CLASS is an executive car, and it does reflect that. MS is supposed to be a signature car. You should not get squeaks, plastic feel, misaligned body work. And certainly better interior that matches the price. I ask you to Google the new S class and watch a video of it and Compare it to the MS.
Lucid air next year. New kids on the block focusing on build quality and features coming.

Not to mention all the above options are cheaper than MS P.
Tesla is showing alot more focus on mid market cars M 3 and M Y and this is where I believe they will focus on. But they will not be able to compete on executive range once the self driving and battery tech is caught up on...

I honestly was a Tesla fan at heart and was so excited to get mine. And dont get me wrong, I like driving my Tesla. But how I've witnessed the sale process, the update process, the sales rep, the delivery process, the build quality. I see alot of the gaps that other specific car manufacturers that focus on tech combined with mechanical engineering and build quality will excel at. As much as I wanted to, I honestly struggle to recommend the high end models when people ask for my opinion.

When I had the M 3 as a courtesy car, that is a car I felt was well built more than the MS. And I do actually recommend when asked, but I simply can't recommend an M S as a high end car. It simply does not meet the level required.

Last edited:
I got the update on my 2020 Model X.

The "new and improved" supercharger graphic is worse.
Instead of showing 20 chargers near me, how large they are, and how many stalls are free, I just get to see how many are free. Less information is never better...
Not to mention the fact that the so called superior animations for parked car that shows windows movement and everything is not even present in S or X. It's specifically a 3/Y feature because S and X are supposed to be bland. I don't get it at all. We can't even zoom in or out on the car like one can in a 3 or Y. I love the driving experience of my S as it's far superior to a 3 but man do I feel upset for paying so much more for it for so much less. Not cool of Tesla but what can we really do about it? Literally nothing.