Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S Owners planning on Model Y purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S reserved, but might just stay with my ordered BMW 5 Series and wait it out another 3 years. All these posts make me nervous about sinking that much money in a car and have to worry about all the possible issues and service problems above. Just want a flawless experience for the price I would be paying.

I love the timeless design of the Model S and also the though of driving an EV vehicle though.

I have a Model S reserved, but might just stay with my ordered BMW 5 Series and wait it out another 3 years. All these posts make me nervous about sinking that much money in a car and have to worry about all the possible issues and service problems above. Just want a flawless experience for the price I would be paying.

I love the timeless design of the Model S and also the though of driving an EV vehicle though.

Most of us don’t have these “nightmare” scenarios and enjoy our vehicles every day. Can always find fringe cases. Buy used. To expect “flawless” is a bit much. I’m sure over the course of ownership, you will probably experience some things you may not agree with. True for most vehicles I wager.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS and DBV1
I do not regret trading my S for the Bolt as it has a much better cabin comfort
I found that sitting in a Bolt felt like sitting on plastic furniture. My next-gen seats are far more comfortable. My wife didn’t like the Bolt seats either and the narrower Bolt had less front seat room.
If I had been coming out of a subcompact like a Spork, maybe the Bolt would have felt like an upgrade, but my S and my wife’s Impala were both far more comfortable.

Reactions: SO16
Most of us don’t have these “nightmare” scenarios and enjoy our vehicles every day. Can always find fringe cases. Buy used. To expect “flawless” is a bit much. I’m sure over the course of ownership, you will probably experience some things you may not agree with. True for most vehicles I wager.

Have fun with your BMW.

No where in my post did I say I would positively stay with BMW. So, not sure why you said that. I said might. People need to really read the statements, before taking responding.

Why do people have to exaggerate everything these days and take offensive to everything too? Way to many hurt feelings if someone asks a potential negative question.

That is the problem in this current world. Say one thing and someone then states it differently, which was not the original intent. That is why their is so much misinformation anymore. Sorry for the rant, but getting tired of people misrepresenting.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
Just sold 2 Model S (Model S 2019 Raven long range, and 2018 P100DL), and getting 2 Model Y.

Interior wise it is nowhere close to Model S - can't beat the deep 2nd row seat, but overall it is very spacious (unlike claustrophobic Model 3), and getting Y almost 50% the price was worth taking the plunge.

What I'm looking forward to on Model Y is the ability to fold the center seat on 2nd row to slide the ski bags.

Also, Model 3/Y are relatively better in holding the value vs S.

Let's see how it goes once I take the delivery.

I currently drive a 2015 Model S 85D - perfect condition, tricked out the way I want it (things like chrome delete). It has been an amazing car, and I've loved driving it. Im having some thoughts about moving to the Model Y, and wonder if anybody here has both and could give me some input.

1. Im really not generally a "big low sedan" guy. My Model S is hard to get in and out of, and is much larger than a car I would typically drive. The MY would be a more upright driving position.
2. I hate the SC nerfing that is going on for these cars. I don't have to SC often, but when I do its a real pain having to wait so long to charge. The MY would charge much quicker when needed.
3. Being on the newer tech would be nice - I have MCU1, which we all know isn't great. I'm also on AP1, which works great for me, but will be left in the dust soon.

My one big concern (other than paying for the MY) is the step down in design and luxury from the Model S to the Y. The Y drives well, but feels much less like a luxury car to me - more like driving an Accord. Does anyone have both? I'd welcome your insight on the 2 cars and how they compare.

I just swapped my 2017 MS 100D for a Model Y P (non PUP). The Y at first glance doesn't appear to be quite as 'nice' as the S, but I just got back from a 3,000 mile drive to see grandkids in the Y, and my wife and I both thought it was very comfortable. After that drive (I did a similar one soon after I got the S), I've concluded that the Y is actually ok for me, and it's spare interior isn't necessarily less nice, but just different. I know some say that Tesla drivers just don't know what a nice car is, but for me, I had five BMW Series 7 cars over many years, so I have some perspective. The Y is really cute and drives great, has nice space, good rear seat legroom, and the new tech will please you I think.
Good luck,

I have a 2013 Model S 85 with 135k miles on it. I have been super happy with it. Only 11% loss of range and it was charged to 90% for most of it’s life with Supercharging a couple times a month. I will get 100kW Supercharging to start when the battery very low. Many small issues over the years but never left me stranded.

I am getting a Model Y to replace it though as it’s always been too big a car for me, but back then there just was not compelling EV option in the BMW 3 Series cateory of which I owned 3 of in the years before Model S. I had thought I would get a Model 3 but I got spoiled with the versatility of the Model S hatchback over the years and hence why Model Y seems like a perfect option for me. I test drove it recently and was happy.

important to remember: people generally post on car forums when there are issues, not when everything is working as intended. So mathematically speaking, cant go exclusively by forum posts to gauge a cars reliability.

I went from 5 series BMW, AMG Mercedes, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, M3 BMW, etc to Tesla.
Will NEVER go back to gas engine. EVER. When we think about the excess complexity involved in the operation of a combustion engine (cooling systems, exhaust systems, twin turbochargers in some cases and all that goes along with turbo systems, starter motors, 8-10 speed transmissions (why so many gears? Tesla uses...ONE) and are still slower than a Model S..
Multiple filters (Oil, Transmission) and so many fluids (Oil, Power Steering, Differential, Transmission) to maintain..

I'd be here for hours listing all of the things I no longer have to worry about maintaining and fixing (i work on my own cars) EVER again.
Even brakes...With regen, I may never have to touch my pads/rotors again.

We wont even get into the tech advantages EV holds over ICE/Tesla holds over other carmakers.
Who else makes the car better over time, via over the air updates?

Its NO COMPARISON.

Reactions: SilverGS
And factor in that almost all car makers have announced plans to either reduce the # of ICE cars they make, or to transition away from ICE altogether in the coming years...

its clear which is the future, and which is the past/history...