Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is a really interesting discussion. There is evidence and logical conjecture to support both sides of the argument (old lights forever vs new lights any day now). I personally think the new lights are coming because it seems more Tesla-like, but the cost and US only arguments are strong. At the end of the day, Tesla themselves may not know. They may make a final decision on a Monday and then on Tuesday they change their mind. Maybe they have a plan, and then Elon tweets and everyone scrambles to change that plan.

What you linked is a banana in an already apples to oranges discussion.

It's hard to discuss it at all when someone is being logically inconsistent.

You argue its too expensive to maintain uniformity because it's too expensive?
But it's okay for some reason to give it to NA Model 3's LR because M3 gets exported to Europe?
But it's too expensive a part to give it to NA Model Y LR.

Let's follow the bouncing ball, what's the symmetry breaker?

Last edited:
12CF4C55-CF94-45F1-8EEC-E76DA2CBC6AE.jpeg

Reactions: Jjrss
It's hard to discuss it at all when someone is being logically inconsistent.

You argue its too expensive to maintain uniformity because it's too expensive?
But it's okay for some reason to give it to NA Model 3's LR because M3 gets exported to Europe?
But it's too expensive a part to give it to NA Model Y LR.

Let's follow the bouncing ball, what's the symmetry breaker?
No. Not my argument.

Tesla wants to maintain a sub $50k model Y with profitable margins.

Prior to the Model 3 getting the new lights, you could order the base model for $35k. Post new lights, $37k+

The base price went up, when the lights were added. They added them to exportable and performance models.

Not inconsistent or illogical. Add the lights to the Y, they cant maintain a sub $50k price tag, and remain competitive in states that provide incentives for cars up to $50k.

No. Not my argument.

Tesla wants to maintain a sub $50k model Y with profitable margins.

Prior to the Model 3 getting the new lights, you could order the base model for $35k. Post new lights, $37k+

The base price went up, when the lights were added. They added them to exportable and performance models.

Not inconsistent or illogical. Add the lights to the Y, they cant maintain a sub $50k price tag, and remain competitive in states that provide incentives for cars up to $50k.
Well there's some mental gymnastics if I've ever seen them.

So let's ignore the price changes on the Model Y, and the fact that the price changes on the Model 3 don't correspond to changing the lights. Even though your entire argument is hinged on these facts?

Then I guess they decided to keep the more price sensitive M3 with more expensive lights while keeping the costs down on the less price sensitive Model Y?

Well there's some mental gymnastics if I've ever seen them.

So let's ignore the price changes on the Model Y, and the fact that the price changes on the Model 3 don't correspond to changing the lights. Even though your entire argument is hinged on these facts?

Then I guess they decided to keep the more price sensitive M3 with more expensive lights while keeping the costs down on the less price sensitive Model Y?
Because... they export the M3 to countries that can actually use the full functions of the lights legitimately ;) they are dud eye candy on a M3 that is still under $50k and qualify for incentives where applicable

Now you're all caught up.

Last edited:
Cant we all just get along? I mean you guys are having a “civil debate” and all, but who really cares?! Both headlight units are acceptable and awesome. The logic that Tesla wants to control the cost and keep this car under 50k is interesting (the dude who put Captain Obvious eating popcorn is the hero here) but since when in the past 5 years has Tesla been worried about adding features and it affecting their bottom line? The heated steering wheel and mirrors, the new console etc..

When the new parts are available, they get fitted. Right now they have a surplus of “old” headlight units to use up. It’s just that simple.

Because... they export the M3 to countries that can actually use the full functions of the lights legitimately ;) they are dud eye candy on a M3 that is still under $50k and qualify for incentives where applicable

Now you're all caught up.
Sorry how do the extra $2000 in lights do anything different in an M3 in North America? Why not take them out for NA since according to you they cost more. As a frame of reference your suggesting as much as the difference in battery between LR and SR @ $100/kW.

Last edited:
That's the point a few of us have been trying to make. But some seem to think these lights are super duper special and expensive and will never make it to the LR.
No, just not Q1, and probably not any time soon.

And maybe not ever. Maybe they'll get newerest more gooder lights that people will delay delivery of M3s in hopes Tesla will swap them out based on a memo no one has seen.

That's the point a few of us have been trying to make. But some seem to think these lights are super duper special and expensive and will never make it to the LR.
They are super duper special if they are fully used like Europe markets approve. But here in the US, true “matrix” and “laser” headlights aren’t allowed yet. It makes total sense that the lenses would go to the “functioning” markets first before they come to us as eye candy and maybe an updatable feature. USDOT is way behind in that regard.
I’m borrowing my mother-in-law’s 2008 Toyota Rav-4 until my MYLR comes in 2-3 days. Anybody wanna talk about how awesome the headlights are in those? Lol. Hope that thought humbles all the people crying over the new lights not being fitted to their new car.

• Funny
Reactions: Jjrss
As someone who ordered last week, I figured there will always be something new coming. Everyone has something they consider a must in their perspective, the new headlights are not worth holding an order for me. I can understand for someone they might be.
Agreed. IIHS had tested both versions in the US market M3 with equally 'Good' rating. Yes, there is a chance that future software updates may make new one better, but one could say any new future update is better than current. Just be happy that the version you bought is the latest version at that time and accept that there WILL always be a newer version coming.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
My argument against the margin argument, is that if it is true, why put the new lights on the MYP? Why not increase the margin on that trim? If someone counters by saying it’s an upsell, then why doesn’t Tesla mention as one of the “performance upgrades” on the order page. It talks about the calipers, and even the pedals. Why not tout the lights?

While true, you can get the wheels, tow and FSD after taking delivery. If you are being frugal, you can still qualify, pay a bit more after delivery, and still come out ahead.
With all due respect this no longer becomes a decisive argument for the 50K threshold. Most buyers won’t delay purchasing options (except for FSD) and be forced to buy white. Additionally the added fees push the cost over the threshold.

They are super duper special if they are fully used like Europe markets approve. But here in the US, true “matrix” and “laser” headlights aren’t allowed yet. It makes total sense that the lenses would go to the “functioning” markets first before they come to us as eye candy and maybe an updatable feature. USDOT is way behind in that regard.
I’m borrowing my mother-in-law’s 2008 Toyota Rav-4 until my MYLR comes in 2-3 days. Anybody wanna talk about how awesome the headlights are in those? Lol. Hope that thought humbles all the people crying over the new lights not being fitted to their new car.
Well they're allowed here. So personally I can wait. Very few places open that are worth going to for the time being anyhow. So no point in rushing to spend money to have something depreciate in my garage. If I needed a car right now; might feel differently about it.

But folks insisting they're never coming because they cost $ 2000 to add sound like someone desperate to hit a quarter end number, or a serious case of cognitive dissonance/buyers remorse.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
Well they're allowed here. So personally I can wait. Very few places open that are worth going to for the time being anyhow. So no point in rushing to spend money to have something depreciate in my garage. If I needed a car right now; might feel differently about it.

But folks insisting they're never coming because they cost $ 2000 to add sound like someone desperate to hit a quarter end number, or a serious case of cognitive dissonance/buyers remorse.
Glad to hear that Canada has approved them. The lower 48 (and especially the other 2 states) always get legislation last. Sucks, but it is what is.

The reason they are on M3 is there is now no changeover for that part of the production line when changing quarters. The only difference is whether RHD or LHD depending on market. If they didn't change over the headlights they'd have to switch not only to new headlights but for any cars not receiving the matrix headlights they'd have to switch based on RHD and LHD for the cutoffs. With the matrix overseas that is a software change so all the parts are identical. And no production line changes. With the Y not being exported there is no reason to change over the lights for production changeover savings. For M3, if there are extra LHD cars at the end of a quarter they can go to worldwide LHD markets without having to change parts.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung