Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped off some trade-in papers. Saw the car we're going to take delivery this weekend. MY LR w/hitch build date April 25th. No idea what the VIN is, SA is going to enter it into the system tomorrow. It just arrived at the lot this morning. Sadly, no new lights.

Am I missing something? I have a 2015 BMW X4 XLine with adaptive lighting. It’s basic in a sense that the beams follow the steering wheel position. What’s new with this amendment?
Steering responsive headlights have been around a long time and are legal. Matrix headlights combine high and low beam which adapt to not blind oncoming traffic. Different technology. The regulations in question relate to a separate high and low beam.

Just dropped off some trade-in papers. Saw the car we're going to take delivery this weekend. MY LR w/hitch build date April 25th. No idea what the VIN is, SA is going to enter it into the system tomorrow. It just arrived at the lot this morning. Sadly, no new lights.
That's too bad. This drops us back to no recent hope of getting the new headlights. The car will be great anyway!

That's pretty bad news. Not sure why these employees are saying yes my car will have the new headlights when I asked.
Yea what's even more weird, I called my SA and he confirmed that I will have it, so we will see if he was lying or not. Plus he claims he checked with the service department and that person also claimed that I will have the updated headlights. We will see.

Reactions: qman66
Yea what's even more weird, I called my SA and he confirmed that I will have it, so we will see if he was lying or not. Plus he claims he checked with the service department and that person also claimed that I will have the updated headlights. We will see.
Are you getting performance or LR? I haven’t seen and LR with the updated headlights. As of now only all model 3 and Model Y performance are coming with the updated headlights.

Reactions: gfoo and MIK3
How difficult would it be to swap them out from either purchased parts or another car? Basically, could you later update the headlights yourself, or is the wiring harness different? I'm making an assumption that the current software already supports them (as they are out in China) or will support them in the future as they become standard on new(er) vehicles.

How difficult would it be to swap them out from either purchased parts or another car? Basically, could you later update the headlights yourself, or is the wiring harness different? I'm making an assumption that the current software already supports them (as they are out in China) or will support them in the future as they become standard on new(er) vehicles.
I don't remember where I saw it but someone with a M3 tried to retrofit the new headlights and if I remember correctly it didn't work. I don't remember what the problem was...where there's a will there's a way so I wouldn't be surprised if someone figures it out. I don't know how Tesla would know you have them for software updates though...I have no idea how that works.

Yeah, they are essentially saying “the car is brand new, it has all the latest tech!” They have no idea what we are even talking about.
Even the very best Tesla SA has about average level of knowledge that is disseminated on this forum (but only because they are reading these posts). Tesla simply keeps these people in the dark. The average SA woefully misinforms the public with outright lies about everything from FSD (“they’re just waiting for the regulations to catch up!”) to tax credits (“it will apply to all 2021’s! Buy now!”) to vehicle specs (“new headlights!“).

Hey I'm one of those annoying people thats been trying to get the new head lights ever since I found out I got old head lights end of December 2020 Model 3. What I know so far retrofit is not possible as of right now b/c connecters are different according to service center. I was looking through Ebay couple weeks ago comparing two head lights the connector does look different, but what do I know.

I guess what is giving me hope is that service center said maybe in the future just check time to time if something changes for retrofit on new headlights. If I hear anything I'll update you guys here.