Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone has compared and there is an extra plug and plugging them into a Model 3 with regular lights they did not work. Or is was a regular MY. Can't remember. But it has been done and talked about in one of these threads. Definitely does not work. Also, it is not just a physical harness, it is also likely programming which will be undone with every OTA update. People have tried with puddle lights and footwell lights to only have it undone with the next update.

As far as eBay, I only see 2 listings, for $7-800 per light.

Reactions: casey1202
On a positive note, there are already many projector headlights available on ebay and as these are the standard M3 lights, many more will appear, so if they are retrofittable there will be ample supply.
Actually, opinions, speculation, and rumors on Internet forums are the least reliable...
Has anyone pointed out that
Someone has compared and there is an extra plug and plugging them into a Model 3 with regular lights they did not work. Or is was a regular MY. Can't remember. But it has been done and talked about in one of these threads. Definitely does not work. Also, it is not just a physical harness, it is also likely programming which will be undone with every OTA update. People have tried with puddle lights and footwell lights to only have it undone with the next update.

As far as eBay, I only see 2 listings, for $7-800 per light.
They disappeared fast, so I presume someone is trying. My only point is that hundreds of thousands of Model 3s are being produced with the new headlights. Some of them will crash and go to dismantlers, if they are retrofittable prices will remain high, if not, demand will be lower. I didn't say it would be cheap or even possible, but at the very least we won't be at the mercy of Tesla's parts systems to get them. Whether that matters is still very much up in the air.

I agree with most of what you said except, "the Y LR has the old headlights because it is only sold in NA." That makes sense but then the argument falls apart when you consider they're using the global headlights in the MYP ... which is also only sold in North America. I've come to accept that the lights are most likely not coming to the LR any time soon, but I still can't explain why. There's really no good explanation.
Actually both of you are wrong since MY are also sold in China not just in North America.

Reactions: RatsFPV
Got it! Hopefully Tesla runs out of the old headlights and continues forward with the new headlight For the LR.
If it was going to happen, it already would have. They tried it on the MYP and decided it wasn't worth it to do all the LR MY. Based on VINs, they produced over 60,000 MY in Q2. Probably 90% non MYP? So 55,000 cars at $1000 per car for the parts and new wiring harness. That's at least $55mil so why would Tesla EVER make the choice to switch to lights that aren't better? It only makes sense for cars where they export them to keep the production lines the same so they don't have to switch out wiring harnesses and parts when they decide where a car goes. The less parts to switch out (charging ports, RHD, etc), the cheaper it is to manufacture. Since MY for Europe will be produced in Berlin, there is no reason to put the global lights in Fremont or Austin MYs.

If it was going to happen, it already would have. They tried it on the MYP and decided it wasn't worth it to do all the LR MY. Based on VINs, they produced over 60,000 MY in Q2. Probably 90% non MYP? So 55,000 cars at $1000 per car for the parts and new wiring harness. That's at least $55mil so why would Tesla EVER make the choice to switch to lights that aren't better? It only makes sense for cars where they export them to keep the production lines the same so they don't have to switch out wiring harnesses and parts when they decide where a car goes. The less parts to switch out (charging ports, RHD, etc), the cheaper it is to manufacture. Since MY for Europe will be produced in Berlin, there is no reason to put the global lights in Fremont or Austin MYs.
Its already in the other cars just not on the MY LR. You would think it would be easier and cheaper for tesla have it on the LR. They wont have to purchase different wiring and headlights just for the LR. It would also benefit auto pilot and fsd since its using the same headlight on all the cars being manufacture.

Reactions: casey1202
Actually both of you are wrong since MY are also sold in China not just in North America.
I think someone else already clarified, but the MY produced at the Fremont factory are not exported. They’re only sold in North America. Those produced at Giga Shanghai were only shipped to Asia previously but just last week it was reported they’d be shipping to Europe as well, presumably because Berlin has been delayed and won’t be ready to ramp production as quickly as originally planned.

What is the big deal about the projector lights? Are the LED's that inefficient?

Technically speaking, the lights have a nicer cut-off from the spill. Plus once the software is available & activated, they'll become adaptive headlights which will benefit you when driving more roads with more twists & turns.

Real reason - everyone just wants the latest & greatest with what Tesla is offering. Just like the biodefense supposedly getting installed on current production Model Y cars, so the people currently waiting right now for their car (while upset they didn't get their car in Q2 like they were supposed to) are now actually content with the delay knowing they'll get the biodefense option on their car.