Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you do the upgrade trick?
There is a story of someone who bought the heat option on a SR+ M3 (rear heated seats) which apparently also added a heated steering wheel which a mobile tech came to install. After installation the tech told the person the steering wheel wouldn't work until the next update.

I call BS on this because my 2020 M3 SR+ does not have a heated wheel and the option is only $300 for rear heated seats (which are installed just need to be turned out), no wheel. Unless that changed with 2021 I doubt the story is the full truth. Seems unlikely that Tesla would offer an app upgrade for $300 that requires a new steering wheel which likely costs much more.

Reactions: Funkyjuju
I call BS on this because my 2020 M3 SR+ does not have a heated wheel and the option is only $300 for rear heated seats (which are installed just need to be turned out), no wheel. Unless that changed with 2021 I doubt the story is the full truth. Seems unlikely that Tesla would offer an app upgrade for $300 that requires a new steering wheel which likely costs much more.

The story started with me buying his one week old steering wheel (I was trying to do an alcantara wrap). I asked him why he was selling and he told me the story.

Ok, did you ever verify with him that the new heated wheel works? Or was he replacing a a heated one that wasn't working? If he did in fact purchase the heated seats option, can someone with a 2021 SR+ (with non-heated wheel) confirm that there is an option to add on the heated wheel? This sounds so un-tesla like and I question the truth in what this person is telling you. To me I would guess that he got a non-heated wheel, decided to purchase the heated wheel since it should be plug and play and the service tech said it would work but likely it did not.

This by chance isn't who you bought it from (doubtful unless you moved since it seems he isn't in SoCal)? He confirms that it does not work, even with the mobile tech onsite.

looks like the Europe LR model Ys from China are coming with new headlights, check out Bjørn's video
Interesting. Seems likely that the fremont factory just has a surplus of the old headlights and theyre just trying to get rid of them. I think the MYLR is the only car tesla makes now that still has the old ones. This would explain other countries/factories using the new ones for MYLR.

Reactions: MikeHawk
Interesting. Seems likely that the fremont factory just has a surplus of the old headlights and theyre just trying to get rid of them. I think the MYLR is the only car tesla makes now that still has the old ones. This would explain other countries/factories using the new ones for MYLR.

It's because the new headlights are only on the performance version, you pay to get the international headlights.

Because the model threes were shipped out of the country the long range model 3 came with the new headlights out of the Fremont factory, model y was US only so it only gets the old headlights for long range.

I also don't like using old and new because the original headlights are brighter than the more focused dimmer international versions. So original versus dot matrix.

The matrix headlights are global spec. They are legal in every country. However to meet this they are dimmer and use matrix to focus light better to appear brighter. Original US spec lights are still better and cheaper and why they will always be used in the US since no MY are exported from US.

There is no surplus. They are a current part and will continue to be produced and used in LR MY in the US. Zero reason for Tesla to switch. Millions ($) reasons to not switch.

Reactions: Jjrss and Maxters
The matrix headlights are global spec. They are legal in every country. However to meet this they are dimmer and use matrix to focus light better to appear brighter. Original US spec lights are still better and cheaper and why they will always be used in the US since no MY are exported from US.

There is no surplus. They are a current part and will continue to be produced and used in LR MY in the US. Zero reason for Tesla to switch. Millions ($) reasons to not switch.
Well, I wouldn’t say I know a lot about supply chain, but it feels to me like Tesla not switching the MYLR headlights and producing them specifically for MYLR goes against their typical part re use policy between the 3 and Y. I’d imagine it would be cheaper and easier to have 1 headlight for all their cars.Also if this is true why would they bother to put them in the MYP? They don’t export any MYP either.

Reactions: MikeHawk