Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I wouldn’t say I know a lot about supply chain, but it feels to me like Tesla not switching the MYLR headlights and producing them specifically for MYLR goes against their typical part re use policy between the 3 and Y. I’d imagine it would be cheaper and easier to have 1 headlight for all their cars.Also if this is true why would they bother to put them in the MYP? They don’t export any MYP either.
Because it’s a premium car and they wanted to see if the lights would drive people to buy it? Because they needed to see what it would cost to change over and it’s easier to do on the smallest production MY model with highest margin. There wasn’t enough demand so not worth it to switch LR over. At best guess the Matrix lights cost Tesla at least $100 more each (they charge 5x for replacement I believe). $200 per car times 200,000 per year is $40mil per year extra cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: SushiMY
Well, I wouldn’t say I know a lot about supply chain, but it feels to me like Tesla not switching the MYLR headlights and producing them specifically for MYLR goes against their typical part re use policy between the 3 and Y. I’d imagine it would be cheaper and easier to have 1 headlight for all their cars.Also if this is true why would they bother to put them in the MYP? They don’t export any MYP either.

So MYP is going to be made out of the GigiTexas, all the cars made out of there I hear will have the new headlights. (and batteries if interested).

Fremont will maintain MYLR and Standard for US market.

It's cheaper to use the US headlights, and since there is no confusion with them going out of the country they use them.

@Maxters FYI, Elon hinted that Giga Texas and/or Giga Berlin could launch initially with the 2170 battery packs rather than the 4680s. Most speculation is that this will be the case.
Also interesting that fremont got some LFP batteries for the SR+, I think they are trying to take some of the orders for the long range since the range is only about 10 miles..

I think they are changing their tactics due to battery and chip supply and timing.

At this point everything is about supply and cost, as for the headlights, I like the ones on the US destined LR.
Who knows if they'd put the matrix lights in the LR if the cost came down. I'd think it's a feature upgrade (perceived) that makes the Performance better?

Testing and full scale production are two different animals. Tesla will have to rectify the challenges they have with mass production of the new cells before they roll out in any capacity. That said, even when Austin begins shipping cars with the new battery, Fremont will still be producing the current cells and your order may be filled from that plant. More so if you are on the west coast. Personally, I just want my car. If major upgrades that I can not live without are implemented down the road, I'll upgrade, but not until they have been in circulation for at least a year to get the bugs out.

So MYP is going to be made out of the GigiTexas, all the cars made out of there I hear will have the new headlights. (and batteries if interested).

Fremont will maintain MYLR and Standard for US market.

It's cheaper to use the US headlights, and since there is no confusion with them going out of the country they use them.
The preproduction models of MY from TeSAs have US headlights. No reason to stock a facility and test with old parts if they won’t be used in actual production. There is a picture on Twitter that has been posted in the Texas factory thread proving this. Sorry to bust the bubble so soon on all cars from Texas having new headlights. And as far as anyone can tell, there are no new SR Y orders being taken so there shouldn’t be any production of those happening. And if they are only making LR Y in Fremont, what else will be made in Texas? Surely not just MYP?

The preproduction models of MY from TeSAs have US headlights. No reason to stock a facility and test with old parts if they won’t be used in actual production. There is a picture on Twitter that has been posted in the Texas factory thread proving this. Sorry to bust the bubble so soon on all cars from Texas having new headlights. And as far as anyone can tell, there are no new SR Y orders being taken so there shouldn’t be any production of those happening. And if they are only making LR Y in Fremont, what else will be made in Texas? Surely not just MYP?
Are we sure it has the US headlights? I was zooming in on the picture and it kind of looks like it has the global headlights. The corner of the headlight almost looks like it has the projector in it.

This part that I circled really looks like a projector in the headlight housing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-021242_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210829-021242_Twitter.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 132
I wish There is a side by side comparison.

I want to see how much dimmer the matrix lights are compared to the ones we have.

Reactions: Maxters
The matrix headlights are global spec. They are legal in every country. However to meet this they are dimmer and use matrix to focus light better to appear brighter. Original US spec lights are still better and cheaper and why they will always be used in the US since no MY are exported from US.

There is no surplus. They are a current part and will continue to be produced and used in LR MY in the US. Zero reason for Tesla to switch. Millions ($) reasons to not switch.
This is bad news, I'm holding out to order, waiting on MYLR to get the new headlights before I take the plunge. I would pay extra $$ for the new headlights, wish that was an option.

Testing and full scale production are two different animals. Tesla will have to rectify the challenges they have with mass production of the new cells before they roll out in any capacity.
Keep in mind that the factory isn't going to instantly be at full production capacity when it opens...

It's entirely possible for the Austin cars to start with 4680 packs, *and* for the battery production to be limited, at the same time. Full-scale 4680 production isn't necessarily a requirement for limited production of 4680-based cars. 👍