Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Maybe* the new LR at Austin have Matrix? (a bit blurry and possibly just wishful thinking.... but:

At 11m 23s in this clip:
If you zoom in on the right most car, 4th from the front, being pushed into its parking spot, the headlight looks like a projector one (it has about 4 distinct regions rather than the more continuous ones on the current LR). At 10m 44s if you zoom into the front right wheel, it has 7 spokes, which should be a Gemini and hence an LR. That was the clearest one I could find in the clip, maybe there's a better view elsewhere. We can but hope :)

Also at 11:49, the lights on the car on the right look more like projector rather than reflector: (I use windows magnifier to zoom)

(comparison between the two type of light here (ignore the title, that is referring to original rollout of projectors on MYP: Tesla starts Model Y deliveries with the new center console and projector headlights - Tesla Oracle )

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjectTrinity
*Maybe* the new LR at Austin have Matrix? (a bit blurry and possibly just wishful thinking.... but:

At 11m 23s in this clip:
If you zoom in on the right most car, 4th from the front, being pushed into its parking spot, the headlight looks like a projector one (it has about 4 distinct regions rather than the more continuous ones on the current LR). At 10m 44s if you zoom into the front right wheel, it has 7 spokes, which should be a Gemini and hence an LR. That was the clearest one I could find in the clip, maybe there's a better view elsewhere. We can but hope :)

Also at 11:49, the lights on the car on the right look more like projector rather than reflector: (I use windows magnifier to zoom)

(comparison between the two type of light here (ignore the title, that is referring to original rollout of projectors on MYP: Tesla starts Model Y deliveries with the new center console and projector headlights - Tesla Oracle )

They look like the old ones to me, the new MYP ones are slightly darker and it doesn't shine as much. I see 4 regions which is more like the current headlights, if you see 2-3 regions then it is likely the new headlights from what I have seen but I couldd be wrong as well.

They look like the old ones to me, the new MYP ones are slightly darker and it doesn't shine as much. I see 4 regions which is more like the current headlights, if you see 2-3 regions then it is likely the new headlights from what I have seen but I couldd be wrong as well.
Yes it is tough to tell for sure from these views, maybe new drone flights will get a little closer or zoom more (but need to be there before the covers go on which must have been pretty lucky this time). On the other hand if they are updated we'll here soon enough I expect.

the harness is in fact different.
There are prior posts from a few months ah=go documenting it.
No, they relate that someone at Tesla said so

Let's look at how things work:
- there's a camera that captures the image
- that image is processed and it is decided what the state of each of the (78 from memory) LEDs should be
- a 78 bit packet is addressed to the matrix array on the LIN
- the headlight receives the packet and turns the LEDs on or off as required
(Repeat the process for the other matrix)
Tge LIN also controls turn and DRL functions

There are only 3 connections into the headlights unit - ground, live and LIN

Supply chain issues? And I doubt Tesla will authorize dealers to replace headlights installed at the factory that are functional, if it’s a supply chain issue. If it is a one off mistake then no problem. Otherwise that’s 2 sets of headlights for each car. That will lead to more supply issues.

doesn't sound legit. lots of nonsense braggarts out there......
I have seen several reports of this. It’s real. Likely to save cost or supply chain issues like Mrbrock said.

There is one person who refused delivery because of the headlights and the service center is going to place the new global headlights in the same car to appease him.

Clearly a retrofit is technically possible, but unlikely to be offered.

I have seen several reports of this. It’s real. Likely to save cost or supply chain issues like Mrbrock said.

There is one person who refused delivery because of the headlights and the service center is going to place the new global headlights in the same car to appease him.

Clearly a retrofit is technically possible, but unlikely to be offered.

We know that the wireing is differernt on cars which normally don't come with the Projectors . The MYLR has differtent wireing then the MYP for the headlights. But It may be possible to downgrade to non projectors.

I don't believe the story of them installing them after refusing delivery unless it was some kind of mistake . Hell, I couldn't get a SC to fix a door aligement when I told them I wasn't taking delivery like that and they just sold it to someone else. So I can't see them replacing perfectly good parts unless they weren't suppose to be there.

We know that the wireing is differernt on cars which normally don't come with the Projectors . The MYLR has differtent wireing then the MYP for the headlights. But It may be possible to downgrade to non projectors.

I don't believe the story of them installing them after refusing delivery unless it was some kind of mistake . Hell, I couldn't get a SC to fix a door aligement when I told them I wasn't taking delivery like that and they just sold it to someone else. So I can't see them replacing perfectly good parts unless they weren't suppose to be there.
Connectors are not different. Just different coding on the canbus. Needs a config change. Two people have already done it. Plug the lights in directly and convince someone with access to change a config id value and they work.

As for a SC offering to change them after a guy refusing delivery… just saw that on Reddit. Can’t confirm.

I'm unsure what wiring you believe is different to the old/new headlights.
There are 3 pins - ground, live and LIN, LIN being the network that provides the instructions for which LED to activate ie turn, sidelight, main beam, full, or within the matrix array.
So it's s simple gateway configuration change to switch in the new matrix lights.