Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm unsure what wiring you believe is different to the old/new headlights.
There are 3 pins - ground, live and LIN, LIN being the network that provides the instructions for which LED to activate ie turn, sidelight, main beam, full, or within the matrix array.
So it's s simple gateway configuration change to switch in the new matrix lights.

I believe it was shown that the new lights have an extra pin in their connector.

Hopefully this is true but if they posted a picture of the main screen with car details it would be more proof. There is nothing preventing them from taking pictures of a MYP and saying it’s LR.

There have been a few different cars that were posted and they definitely didn't have the MYP wheels with the Matrix headlights.

Looks like this is a temporary change as they don't have the supply of Reflector headlights and they will change back in October.. Guess the people who get cars produced in the next 2-3 months will get Matrix headlights unless they decide to make it permanent. Seems like you were right in that they are using the Reflector headlights for MYLR and that they weren't just going through the supply that they had left..

However, the change is unfortunately only temporary. Tesla is currently experiencing a shortage of the non-matrix headlights, so has been forced to switch to using the matrix LED headlights.

According to information relayed to employees, Tesla does not know exactly when they will have enough supply but they are currently expecting to revert back to the old headlights sometime in October.

There have been a few different cars that were posted and they definitely didn't have the MYP wheels with the Matrix headlights.

Looks like this is a temporary change as they don't have the supply of Reflector headlights and they will change back in October.. Guess the people who get cars produced in the next 2-3 months will get Matrix headlights unless they decide to make it permanent. Seems like you were right in that they are using the Reflector headlights for MYLR and that they weren't just going through the supply that they had left..

"
The interior changes appear to have been made somewhere between VIN F5160 and F5169. You may be able to use this information to determine whether or not you’ll be getting the new white interior if you’re waiting for a Model Y delivery from Fremont.

In addition, Fremont-made Model Y Long Range units have gained matrix LED headlights, according to u/sudowork on their Model Y with late VIN 516xxx."

From this site: Fremont Tesla Model Y Gets New Door Panels, Matrix Headlights on Long Range - TeslaNorth.com

If this is the case my VIN qualifies for them upgrades. I guess Ill find out if its true when I get my delivery call

"
The interior changes appear to have been made somewhere between VIN F5160 and F5169. You may be able to use this information to determine whether or not you’ll be getting the new white interior if you’re waiting for a Model Y delivery from Fremont.

In addition, Fremont-made Model Y Long Range units have gained matrix LED headlights, according to u/sudowork on their Model Y with late VIN 516xxx."

From this site: Fremont Tesla Model Y Gets New Door Panels, Matrix Headlights on Long Range - TeslaNorth.com

If this is the case my VIN qualifies for them upgrades. I guess Ill find out if its true when I get my delivery call
Tesla Vins arent sequential so you’ll likely find out when you see the car.

they appear to be sequential, Fremont is 510000+ and Austin is north of 9000 now.
What @Mrbrock means is that they tend to build a bunch with a similar configuration/color together, so changes that are applied may not always follow a straight sequential VIN order. That's why you can't really use VIN as a dividing line between one config and another. Build date (which is only available from your Sales Associate) is a better delineator.

Reactions: tangible1
What @Mrbrock means is that they tend to build a bunch with a similar configuration/color together, so changes that are applied may not always follow a straight sequential VIN order. That's why you can't really use VIN as a dividing line between one config and another. Build date (which is only available from your Sales Associate) is a better delineator.
According to the Article I read my VIN should have the Upgrade. As of the other article stating Ys that were built after Aug 5, then I should also get the upgrade as I got my VIN the 13th and a txt that my MLRY left the Fremont factory to the dealership on the 14th. So i guess well find out upon pick up if its true about the upgrades. fingers crossed.

According to the Article I read my VIN should have the Upgrade. As of the other article stating Ys that were built after Aug 5, then I should also get the upgrade as I got my VIN the 13th and a txt that my MLRY left the Fremont factory to the dealership on the 14th. So i guess well find out upon pick up if its true about the upgrades. fingers crossed.
call and have your local SR check your VIN for the details. Assuming you have one you worked with; or did you just place an order online?

Ok Im seeing there are confirmations with pickups this month that there are upgrades on the LR. I also found a youtube video its a diff. language but its a pick up at Fremont sometime this week. Its a LR because I didnt see a carbon fiber spoiler that it had the wood door trim and the matrix projector Headlights.
Timestamped on the headlights. Those are the matrix headlight correct?