Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a call from Tesla telling me that if I ordered a model Y by the end of the week they would guarantee delivery by the end of the month. After that, I wouldn’t expect to receive the car before June. My guess is that the next round of domestic manufacturing will include the new headlights.

Yeah I would call that bluff. I would almost guarantee you could get a car the first week of April. It’ll be leftovers they couldn’t sell in Q1, but I don’t think you’d be waiting till June. I would respond, I will guarantee to order and accept delivery if you can guarantee me X features.

5C774853-F752-4E70-AB3F-F37C85890965.jpeg

Shows as 2-5 weeks. On Friday there were 25 days left in the month. I wouldn’t dnt say it is guaranteed but definitely possible.

I went to the delivery center here in St. Louis a few days ago. TONS of Model Ys, but only one had the updated lights (it was performance).

The sales girl said they all have them, but she had no idea what she was talking about. All the cars on the lot were mid-February builds according to the window sticker.

Reactions: DaddysCar
Visually, how do you recognize the difference with the new projector headlights from the original? I’ve been told by my SA the LR is also shipping with the new headlights but I don’t believe that to be true.
1615245236311.png

Red is new, metallic is old. On the lateral edge of the light you will see a circular bulb rather than vertical slots all the way across.

yah the only info we have right now is that the MYP has the new headlights. Not sure about LR AWD built in March.

Also, I was talking to a buddy here and he told me his friend said that there's no point getting the updated matrix led's because regardless, you, the driver, won't be able to enjoy it. If anything it may hinder the ability to see as if there are future updates that allow matrix style LED compatibly, it would for instance turn off a few LED's if it sees a pedestrian, etc.

Something to think about it..

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddysCar
Also, I was talking to a buddy here and he told me his friend said that there's no point getting the updated matrix led's because regardless, you, the driver, won't be able to enjoy it. If anything it may hinder the ability to see as if there are future updates that allow matrix style LED compatibly, it would for instance turn off a few LED's if it sees a pedestrian, etc.
I agree with your comments on matrix led headlights. Projector headlights and matrix led headlights are different technologies aren’t they?

I agree with your comments on matrix led headlights. Projector headlights and matrix led headlights are different technologies aren’t they?
Projectors are the round bulbs you see in a lot of cars' headlights. They typically provide a more uniform and even beam of light than reflector housing. Matrix LED can you projector style housing to provide LED lights as the main lighting source. These can also turn on or off certain LEDs depending on what's in front of the car. It's like having always on hi beams except they can turn off LEDs that would blind another drive or a pedestrian while keeping other parts lit.

This video does a goos job of explaining it.

I was able to confirm today that all MY LR now have the heated steering wheel and the news console. They do NOT have the projector headlights. As many others have stated the MYP does have all three features in the latest February builds.