Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You all are crazy. You are delaying the purchase of a $50,000 vehicle for a part that currently is amongst the best in its class and the new one has features that you can’t use. The only reason we are getting it is to simplify assembly on a worldwide scale.

Regarding why they haven’t switched the LR Y to the new ones is simple, the MY is not available in Europe so they don’t need to simplify worldwide assembly by using common parts. The M3 is exported to Europe so they switched the US lights to be the same. The MY P likely got them because of the higher price.

Edit: what cedcor said since he clicked post while I was writing the same thing...

You all are crazy...
You're quite entitled to your opinion, and I seriously don't take offense. Arguably anyone who spends much time here is at least a little crazy...

But, my reasons for getting a Tesla have a great deal to do with safety and driver-assistance feateres & performance. As you must know, a lot of that promise is still unfulfilled but we are playing along. Regarding these lights, it's not only the possibility of future ADB features; even without those the newer lights have a demonstrably better output and pattern. Also, despite the oft-repeated claim that the older non-projector lights are near best-in-class, my read is not that. They're good but it's easy to find better ones in terms of evenness and lateral coverage, not to mention the active-turning beam feature that is increasingly offered today.

Some people care little about the lights but obsessed over the console refresh, or the chrome vs. blackout trim, or the heated seats / steering wheel or etc.. I saw a thread questioning why anyone would not wait for a one-piece casting with 4680 cells and structural-pack design.

Regarding the outlay of give-or-take $50k and the relative importance of any such details, or the sense in paying that much with the full expectation of MIA quality control and customer service, well that is a personal and philosophical question.

To paraphrase that classic workplace sign,
'You don't have to be crazy to buy a Tesla, but it helps!'

Last edited:
I wasn’t trying to imply that in a bad way so I’m glad you didn’t take it as such.

Call me skeptical but once again someone is claiming that the new lights are “demonstratably better output and pattern” yet I have not seen one video or photo comparison in the US to back this up. All we have seen are European videos where the ADB is allowed. European lights that are detune/dimmed to meet the requirements that come with no headlight washers. My guess is with the ADB they can dim some areas and redirect this output to others making them seem brighter. Here in the US we have much brighter lights stock so it’s not an issue.

When someone comes forward with actual proof that the new lights are better I will be the first to jump on board. I think if these really were better and not just something to ease assembly on a worldwide scale that Tesla would be advertising it on the order page. Especially for the MY P since it could be considered a premium upgrade for that trim. Tesla still mentions heated seats which to me are pretty much standard in any car $40k.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHCCAZ
Well, I admit that I am relying somewhat heavily on the Electrek Article that quoted the Tesla internal memo:
We are transitioning Model 3 and Model Y to a new headlight design, which is eventually going to be consistent across all variants, globally. By Q1 2021, we expect all Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to feature this new unit.
This is a clear indication that the intent was to bring the lights to all models so I am still optimistic about that, despite the delay and the just-reported claim that the LRY exception will be "permanent". The latter seems much more like an attempt to tamp down on the annoying trend of customers delaying or refusing delivery over this detail.

Regarding the fact that most of the comparison and demonstration videos of European origin, That seems to be true, and I suppose it could be that the software restrictions associated with non-active-dimming could also produce some kind of less-even or less-bright output. However I actually doubt this (and BTW the linked article also discusses the superior beam characteristics), and hopefully we will see if somebody does a side-by-side USA video between say an MYP and MYLR. This is an idea and a request for one of the Tesla clubs or other content creators that like to post interesting Tesla videos.

Reactions: casey1202
By this point there are thousands of Model 3 and Y with the updated lights...how is it that nobody has done even a surface level review of them?
I just checked out IIHS (2021 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan.) I compared 2020 vs 2021 M3. They both rated as GOOD. They clearly indicated that 2020 had LED reflector and 2021 had LED projector. So in the US, there is no dramatic difference as far as typical performance.

The euro-spec argument for the 3 getting them and the YLR not getting them is a good one. I hadn’t thought of that. But that does beg the question, why upgrade the MYP? That will not got to Europe and 90% of buyers that don’t F5 the forums probably wouldn’t even notice. Why the extra cost?

Also, I had read somewhere that Audi and MB were lobbying to get matrix LED legal since 2015 here with no luck. They would LOVE to upsell you a headlight for $3k. So, hard to say when the regs would change.

Reactions: DaddysCar
Very interesting. It looks like the new low beam's performance is better, but the high beams might not reach quite as far ahead in the center.

The Model Y's higher ride height might change these results somewhat.

2018-Dec 2020 LED Reflector:
1616333772892.png

2021 LED Matrix:
1616333798602.png

The euro-spec argument for the 3 getting them and the YLR not getting them is a good one. I hadn’t thought of that. But that does beg the question, why upgrade the MYP? That will not got to Europe and 90% of buyers that don’t F5 the forums probably wouldn’t even notice. Why the extra cost?

Also, I had read somewhere that Audi and MB were lobbying to get matrix LED legal since 2015 here with no luck. They would LOVE to upsell you a headlight for $3k. So, hard to say when the regs would change.
They put it on the performance (higher priced trim) so you'd be tempted to dump $10k+ on a trim with all the bells and whistles.

If every car had the exact same components (bells an whistles), minus SW enable performance enhancements, fewer people would buy the higher end trims, which would impact profitability.

Telling anyone the MY LR AWD gets the lights next quarter would have the same effect. You'd delay for new lights, then before you know it, you'd be delaying for the next must have, until you're waiting for the new battery.

There is no concrete evidence to show the LR will get the lights, only assumptions that it eventually will because 1 article somewhere had a couple sentences referencing "globally". If the feature is never approved in the US, you may actually have a less functional headlight with lower performance overall. It might even cause road rage for under performing and being too bright at the wrong times.

You'd delay for new lights, then before you know it, you'd be delaying for the next must have, until you're waiting for the new battery.
Which is why I have delayed, as I consider the updated headlights to be a safety upgrade. This said, if there is no sign of the updated headlights by end of April, I’ll release my order and purchase what is then currently available.

Which is why I have delayed, as I consider the updated headlights to be a safety upgrade. This said, if there is no sign of the updated headlights by end of April, I’ll release my order and purchase what is then currently available.
I am in the same boat. I am ready to buy, but was waiting for the headlights. I have a big board certification exam in May, so I don’t want to be dealing with delivery around that time. If no lights after that, I am pulling the trigger anyway.

There is no concrete evidence to show the LR will get the lights, only assumptions that it eventually will because 1 article somewhere had a couple sentences referencing "globally".
That line wasn't just the article, it was verbatim wording from an internal Tesla memo to the sales side. Of course that can delay or change, but in the world of Tesla, that's pretty high up on the concrete scale. It's way more concrete than typical "makes sense to me that Tesla would do A vs B" arguments.

That line wasn't just the article, it was verbatim wording from an internal Tesla memo to the sales side. Of course that can delay or change, but in the world of Tesla, that's pretty high up on the concrete scale. It's way more concrete than typical "makes sense to me that Tesla would do A vs B" arguments.
When I read the article, it sounded more like, "someone on the inside leaked a memo," no picture of said memo, and therefore hearsay.

Maybe I'm too skeptical of unsourced info... seemed unconfirmed to my spidey senses.

Regarding the safety upgrade, please look at the diagrams a little closer. @ratsbrew was spot on except the new lights low beams do not perform as well on center in your lane. Off center and around corners they are better. So if you do a lot of spirited driving in the twisties then maybe it’s worth it but it’s not like the old ones are sub optimal in anything other than to the left which is by design to not blind oncoming drivers. Again, if you want to wait, join the LR RWD reservation holders. Especially considering the leaked Tesla memo.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Very interesting. It looks like the new low beam's performance is better, but the high beams might not reach quite as far ahead in the center.

The Model Y's higher ride height might change these results somewhat.

2018-Dec 2020 LED Reflector:
View attachment 646541

2021 LED Matrix:
View attachment 646542
The matrix LEDs achieved closest to low beam optimal illumination especially on the periphery. Again I’m holding off because I’m not in a rush. Esthetically I also like the darker lens on the new matrix lights. Go well with my MSM gray paint and black wheels.

Honestly, waiting for the new lights is ridiculous. It's such a small feature on the car, even if you consider it a "safety" feature. Especially considering that the matrix feature isn't legal in the US and might never be while you own the car...

Honestly, waiting for the new lights is ridiculous. It's such a small feature on the car, even if you consider it a "safety" feature. Especially considering that the matrix feature isn't legal in the US and might never be while you own the car...
Whats worse, I read in a reddit thread someone broke a new light hitting a peacock. The old light was just under $500 to replace, the new light was quoted $2,100 to replace... just 1.

Imagine having the financial risk of replacing such a high ticket item that doesnt even do what its supposed to do. Front end collision that takes out both lights... ouch.

By this point there are thousands of Model 3 and Y with the updated lights...how is it that nobody has done even a surface level review of them?

Whats worse, I read in a reddit thread someone broke a new light hitting a peacock. The old light was just under $500 to replace, the new light was quoted $2,100 to replace... just 1.

Imagine having the financial risk of replacing such a high ticket item that doesnt even do what its supposed to do. Front end collision that takes out both lights... ouch.

I have a MYP with new headlights.
Followed a friend home after road tripping to pick up a car, and they said it looked like one headlight was pointed up and blinding them. They also thought it was bobbing a lot.

It wouldn't surprise me if in a year or so someone starts a thread on TMC wanting to buy a MY with the updated console, heated steering wheel, and equipped with the horrible, awful, unsafe, and all but completely useless first generation LED reflector headlights.

These recent posts are making me feel a lot better about deciding to accept delivery of my car in a week and forget about the headlights. Keep it up!
I have to keep telling myself these things.

Obviously, the "memo" was already proven wrong, or at minimum "misunderstood until proven otherwise". People are trying to reason how an unsourced rumor mill from a "trusted" beacon of journalism didn't pan out.

I have my first baby due mid-April. Really hope to get the car before then. If it has new handicapped and excessively expensive lights with it, so be it. I'll be the first to post everything you want to know about it.