Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason they are on M3 is there is now no changeover for that part of the production line when changing quarters. The only difference is whether RHD or LHD depending on market. If they didn't change over the headlights they'd have to switch not only to new headlights but for any cars not receiving the matrix headlights they'd have to switch based on RHD and LHD for the cutoffs. With the matrix overseas that is a software change so all the parts are identical. And no production line changes. With the Y not being exported there is no reason to change over the lights for production changeover savings. For M3, if there are extra LHD cars at the end of a quarter they can go to worldwide LHD markets without having to change parts.
Sounds plausible, however doesn't explain why the MYP has the new lights.

Reactions: casey1202
I may have uncovered ground truth related to all of this headlight drama: apparently this picture was taken last week - at grave personal risk - from inside the "Old Model Y Headlights Tent" in Fremont. Only Elon, Kimbal, Franz, and a couple of Boston Dynamics robot dogs are allowed inside. Looks like you LR MY holdouts might be waiting for quite a while. 🍕🍺🧻🛌

1__yLPwLk129MAHJnZjMHidw.jpeg

Glad to hear that Canada has approved them. The lower 48 (and especially the other 2 states) always get legislation last. Sucks, but it is what is.
It sounded like they were reviewing the legislation
I may have uncovered ground truth related to all of this headlight drama: apparently this picture was taken last week - at grave personal risk - from inside the "Old Model Y Headlights Tent" in Fremont. Only Elon, Kimbal, Franz, and a couple of Boston Dynamics robot dogs are allowed inside. Looks like you LR MY holdouts might be waiting for quite a while. 🍕🍺🧻🛌
The way things are selling, should have them next week! ;)

Reactions: _tb_
The way things are selling, should have them next week! ;)

I'm doing my part and will be picking up my LR MY tomorrow. 👍 All of you who are holding out for the new improved headlights can thank me for reducing Tesla's enormous inventory of the ancient, ineffective, and completely unsafe first generation MY headlights by one set. Who knows - I may completely throw caution to the wind and actually drive my new car AT NIGHT! 😲

I'm doing my part and will be picking up my LR MY tomorrow. 👍 All of you who are holding out for the new improved headlights can thank me for reducing Tesla's enormous inventory of the ancient, ineffective, and completely unsafe first generation MY headlights by one set. Who knows - I may completely throw caution to the wind and actually drive my new car AT NIGHT! 😲
Doing my part too, on Tuesday. Installed my wall connector last night.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If that is your thinking, don't buy a Tesla. There is always something newer and better coming out and it doesn't always coincide with a new model year. If you have FOMO Tesla is not the brand to buy. Hence, when you are ready to buy, buy and don't worry about little do dads here and there.

Reactions: EchoDelta
Good luck guys!

Thanks! For those of us who are driving around with the old headlights, we need all the luck we can get! ✌️

As I'm not one to leave much to chance, I stopped by Harbor Fright on my way to the Tesla store and picked up a couple of LED "helper" lights for my inaugural drive home, just in case I got caught out after sunset. Safety first, of course, and let's face it - those first generation headlights simply cannot be trusted, and I knew I wouldn't be able to follow a MYP or a M3 with their amazingly inoperative matrix LED technology all the way home.

Lots of truckers going the opposite direction on the highway were honking at me - I'm not sure why. 🤔

PXL_20210325_214222712.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks! For those of us who are driving around with the old headlights, we need all the luck we can get! ✌️

As I'm not one to leave much to chance, I stopped by Harbor Fright on my way to the Tesla store and picked up a couple of LED "helper" lights for my inaugural drive home, just in case I got caught out after sunset. Safety first, of course, and let's face it - those first generation headlights simply cannot be trusted, and I knew I wouldn't be able to follow a MYP or a M3 with their amazingly inoperative matrix LED technology all the way home.

Lots of truckers going the opposite direction on the highway were honking at me - I'm not sure why. 🤔

View attachment 647954
You won the internet.

Reactions: EchoDelta and _tb_
Do I risk losing the $5K CVAP grant if I wait for the new headlights since it's only valid until May 9th? Short and sweet answer is I'll get whatever is in my destiny. Are the new headlights worth $5K? Not to me they're not. So I've pulled my delivery date forward. Now awaiting a VIN and delivery date.