Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove from LA>SF>LA last week and there were dozens of car haulers with new 3’s and Y’s coming down I-5 here in CA. The few I was able to get close to had old style headlight Y’s only and I assume these were built in recent days...
44478324-9EAE-4669-AC3A-3F79B9480400.jpeg

The reason they are on M3 is there is now no changeover for that part of the production line when changing quarters. The only difference is whether RHD or LHD depending on market. If they didn't change over the headlights they'd have to switch not only to new headlights but for any cars not receiving the matrix headlights they'd have to switch based on RHD and LHD for the cutoffs. With the matrix overseas that is a software change so all the parts are identical. And no production line changes. With the Y not being exported there is no reason to change over the lights for production changeover savings. For M3, if there are extra LHD cars at the end of a quarter they can go to worldwide LHD markets without having to change parts.
Looks like some Model Y will be shipped over seas per this image (license plate frame):

No new headlights though.

I went to test drive a Model Y last week. This is the performance version I drove. Is that the new ones? I am new to Tesla and looking to get one so I didn’t realize there was this discussion about new vs old headlights

Attachments

• 772497EE-3AFF-456D-93BD-8478E999FD66.jpeg
    772497EE-3AFF-456D-93BD-8478E999FD66.jpeg
    763.2 KB · Views: 55
Looks like some Model Y will be shipped over seas per this image (license plate frame):

No new headlights though.
Maybe they are sending some demo units over to entice buyers to commit ahead of Berlin starting production. They have been pretty adamant that they won’t sell the Y in Europe until it is produced there. But you know how it goes with statement from Elon and whether they hold true down the line...

Maybe they are sending some demo units over to entice buyers to commit ahead of Berlin starting production. They have been pretty adamant that they won’t sell the Y in Europe until it is produced there. But you know how it goes with statement from Elon and whether they hold true down the line...

I would guess its for media / influencers like TeslaBjorn to start doing evaluations before launch.