Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be that Tesla is getting ready to sell US produced Model Y Performance in Europe because of the delay with the Berlin gigafactory?
Possibly. But then you have to ask why would they only be selling the Performance in Europe? Seems more likely that if that were to occur, they’d be exporting the LR as well since it’s the trim that sells in higher volumes.

Has anyone picked up a LR MY with the new headlights recently? I ordered on May 2 and I believe my delivery date won’t be until end of June or July so I wonder if I will be able to get the new headlights. I don’t mind either way, but it would be nice!
You will not need to ask. It will be plastered on the home page and every other EV site and there will be many posts about who has. If you don’t see that, you don’t need to ask.

Since we are about halfway through Q2, it is looking like no go for another quarter.

As far as exporting the MYP, maybe they are doing that along with 82kwh battery and those batteries are only available in US so they’d need to export the MYP so it has the same range. Or all the demo cars being sent over for reviews are Ps..

If anyone has a 4k monitor, could you set the May 15 drone flyover video to 2160p at around 1:27, take a screenshot and zoom in to see if any of these have the new headlights:

Sorry, I zoomed in at 4k but was unable to "enhance" all the pixelation that we see from TV shows. Hehe. =P
I'll save you the effort.

None of them have the Global lights unless they are the Performance model.
And yes, Jjrss is correct for what we know so far.

So does this mean then new MY P's have the new headlights? Does anyone actually know what the advantages are to these new ones?
Yes, MYP have them. They do have matrix capability but it does not work in the US. The matrix capability is designed to enhance the reduced output required in Europe due to there being no headlight washers. It allows the headlights to focus the reduced output where it is needed so it is brighter in those areas. The US lights have full output across the entire beam pattern so we don’t need matrix.

Reactions: Marcust99
Keep in mind, just because all the other brands are super advanced matrix projectors, does not imply that the Tesla Global headlight is anywhere as capable. (No one has shown a video of Tesla Global lights doing the advanced stuff)
I think this is a very good point that’s often overlooked. Other than an admin filing in Germany (which itself was fairly ambiguous) we really don’t have any proof that the global lights are all that advanced. It’s still pretty speculative but my guess is they’re nowhere near as capable as the “digital matrix” products we’re seeing in MB and Audi models.

They are not. They are merely designed to focus the reduced output where you need it most instead of spreading the reduced output across the whole road. At the best, the global lights can provide output in a small section to equal the US spec lights but across the whole beam pattern they are no better. Definitely not in Europe. In the US they are maybe equal but the upper cutoff seems to be not as precise based on pictures floating around this forum.

Reactions: Jjrss and casey1202