Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have any source. I’m holding my order because of the updated headlights. I hope somebody can post the new headlights for LR soon.

Where did you hear the LR are going to get the Global headlights? All I've heard is it only goes in the Performance Y,3 , and SX.. Month or two ago there was something from Tesla that doubted the LR versions would ever get them due to cost.

The US Reflector headlights are the norm.

Maybe Gigi factory Texas will be the Global Headlights and 4680 batteries, whereas Fremont maintains the LR versions of 3 & Y and maintain US headlights with the 2170 Batteries.

🚘

The US Reflector headlights are the norm.
Well we all hope not for long. Actually the MYLR is, I think, the only version that still has the reflectors, as all M3 versions + MYP + i think the refresh S and X have projectors.

(Has anyone yet determined whether the M3/MYP lights are the newest PixCell matrix units, or some intermediate-equipment projector light? AFAIK this is still an open question.)

Well we all hope not for long. Actually the MYLR is, I think, the only version that still has the reflectors, as all M3 versions + MYP + i think the refresh S and X have projectors.

(Has anyone yet determined whether the M3/MYP lights are the newest PixCell matrix units, or some intermediate-equipment projector light? AFAIK this is still an open question.)
They seem to be the PixCell matrix. People have posted pics of their car against a garage door and you can see how the spread is broken up by segments.

The YLR is probably going to be switched over to the projectors once supply of the reflectors are out. It doesn't make sense for them to have a unique headlight only for the YLR in N/A.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and S3XY1138
They seem to be the PixCell matrix. People have posted pics of their car against a garage door and you can see how the spread is broken up by segments.

The YLR is probably going to be switched over to the projectors once supply of the reflectors are out. It doesn't make sense for them to have a unique headlight only for the YLR in N/A.
Thanks. I agree that some kind of semi-coarse matrix is revealed in those videos. I guess I'm still not entirely clear that this isn't a similar-but-not-same Hella assembly. Note that e.g. 2021 Porsche in Europe reportedly uses an 84-pixel array, but the PixCell promo video shows 100, being 4 rows of 22 plus another 6 at both left & right sides.

Why should this matter? Because I'm hoping that Tesla eventually activates the full feature, after NHTSA finally legalizes it
(hello-ello-ello-ello-ello...)🤷‍♂️

And if/when that day comes I'd like to have the unit that's most likely to be activated without a retrofit or a no-can-do, and that's presumably the newest version.

Right now MYLR is getting neither, but the need is becoming clearer considering Tesla Vision with its AutoBeamGate controversy.

I realize this is a lot of ifs, and no doubt kind of silly, but hey this is the 725th post in this thread alone - so I'm not the only headlight nut around here!

Well right now it does make sense that the Y LR has the old headlights because it is only sold in NA. That is why it won’t get the Global lights. MY for Europe will be produced in Berlin. This supply that people are waiting to run out may never run out because they are much cheaper to build. So unless you are prepared to not own a MY (as in not ever), you shouldn’t be waiting for the new headlights. Just being stubborn at this point. Most of you put orders in before the lights were seen on MYP and then placed your orders on hold to get the new lights. That means you were ready to buy the car with the old lights.

Well right now it does make sense that the Y LR has the old headlights because it is only sold in NA. That is why it won’t get the Global lights. MY for Europe will be produced in Berlin. This supply that people are waiting to run out may never run out because they are much cheaper to build. So unless you are prepared to not own a MY (as in not ever), you shouldn’t be waiting for the new headlights. Just being stubborn at this point. Most of you put orders in before the lights were seen on MYP and then placed your orders on hold to get the new lights. That means you were ready to buy the car with the old lights.
I agree with most of what you said except, "the Y LR has the old headlights because it is only sold in NA." That makes sense but then the argument falls apart when you consider they're using the global headlights in the MYP ... which is also only sold in North America. I've come to accept that the lights are most likely not coming to the LR any time soon, but I still can't explain why. There's really no good explanation.

I agree with most of what you said except, "the Y LR has the old headlights because it is only sold in NA." That makes sense but then the argument falls apart when you consider they're using the global headlights in the MYP ... which is also only sold in North America. I've come to accept that the lights are most likely not coming to the LR any time soon, but I still can't explain why. There's really no good explanation.
Maybe they just need to get through their existing stock of old headlights?
And they don't use the MYP for that because of the higher price tag, to reinforce perceived value difference?

Reactions: Ghostedd
And they don't use the MYP for that because of the higher price tag, to reinforce perceived value difference?
What is the price difference? Has anybody actually tried to order the headlight part from Tesla? Maybe somebody here working at a body shop who had ordered both versions. One of mine was replaced under warranty but the price was not listed in the invoice.

I'd be surprised if Tesla actually has any significant "stock" of headlights. If it is using lean mfg practices, it probably keeps a very limited amount of stock of any 3rd party sourced items.

Because they are exporting M3s to European markets. the MYLR is only for the US and Canada. So this is the perfect car to dispose of the remaining stock of old headlights. If you are a business this is the move that makes the most sense financialy
Yeah but that argument falls apart when you take into account that they are including them on the MYP. If it’s just due to exporting than they shouldn’t be using them on any MY. If it’s because the lights are considered “premium” then why aren’t they detailed on the list of items that the P gets over the LR on the website? Any way you look at it, including them on even one MY but not on all of them doesn’t make much sense.

Yeah but that argument falls apart when you take into account that they are including them on the MYP. If it’s just due to exporting than they shouldn’t be using them on any MY. If it’s because the lights are considered “premium” then why aren’t they detailed on the list of items that the P gets over the LR on the website? Any way you look at it, including them on even one MY but not on all of them doesn’t make much sense.
Exactly my argument a few months ago probably also on this thread :)

My guess is that they either have a lots of these in stock, or have a contract for buying another X thousand, so they will just use them up until there are no more. And to simplify the build process overall they decided to move over all M3 variants, and only keep using these in the LR MY.

Often with these kinds of supplier contracts it's less expensive to just keep buying instead of cancelling, e.g. considering the supplier needs to set up a factory line that somehow needs to be paid for.

Last edited:
Exactly my argument a few months ago probably also on this thread :)

My guess is that they either have a lots of these in stock, or have a contract for buying another X thousand, so they will just use them up until there are no more. And to simplify the build process overall they decided to move over all M3 variants, and only keep using these in the LR MY.

Often with these kinds of supplier contracts it's less expensive to just keep buying instead of cancelling, e.g. considering the supplier needs to set up a factory line that somehow needs to be paid for.
Exactly. Working down the purchase agreement, not necessarily parts in Tesla inventory.

My consideration is model 3 has been released in 2017 and Tesla hasn’t refreshed this model yet so they decided to add new features/parts but MY is a new car and they’re ok with the current headlights. MYP is about $10K more expensive so they added new lights to MYP too