Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either way, if the projector HL are as advanced as people say, there should be a higher cost, possibly significant, per unit.
That could be so; I think someone did show a high replacemt-parts cost for new compared to old headlights, but i dont recall the specifics.

OTOH, the beautiful thing about technology is that new and much more capable systems can come in cheaper. Capability increases and costs decrease over time.

In this case, the LED matrix is a monolithic chip replacing several separate LEDs. The projector housing and optics are modified but not very different from a single-emitter projector, and BTW don't need the extreme-temperature resistance of the older incandescent, halogen or xenon-discharge lamps. (LEDs produce much less heat but cannot themselves run super-hot, which is why you ofter see a finned heatsink integrated into the assembly).

The very first examples of adaptively-dimming lights that I read about used a very coarse 1-d array of electromechanical vertical blinds or shutters; that would surely be a more expensive yet inferior version of adaptive beam control.

I don’t know how the matrix control is communicated to the headlight, my guess would be CANbus that I think is already used for dumber headlight control, but a lot more bandwidth is involved so there could be a costly dedicated comm harness. Here is a paper I found discussing the strain on the present-gen CAN bus.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjADegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw2Y1x7roAq3qRBJxHiICDjl

Reactions: DanCar
Yeah but that argument falls apart when you take into account that they are including them on the MYP. If it’s just due to exporting than they shouldn’t be using them on any MY. If it’s because the lights are considered “premium” then why aren’t they detailed on the list of items that the P gets over the LR on the website? Any way you look at it, including them on even one MY but not on all of them doesn’t make much sense.
Do you see the carbon fiber spoiler in that list? Didn't think so
They have to justify that price difference between the LR and the P and putting the newest hardware on this more "High-end" variant is one way to do it. Why don't they mention it? Bc they don't have a very good marketing team lol. If I remember correctly (I might be wrong), at first they did the same thing with the 3P vs the LR/SR.
Another potential reason could be liked to the chip shortage. Samsung and other suppliers can't provide enough lights for the entire car production so Tesla had to prioritize.
Also, I'm sure the lights supplier has raised his prices because of that global shortage
At the end of the day, the only reason behind this decision is about money and how they can cut costs to absorb this "Price increases due to major supply chain price pressure industry-wide. " (Quoting Elon Musk)

Do you see the carbon fiber spoiler in that list? Didn't think so
They have to justify that price difference between the LR and the P and putting the newest hardware on this more "High-end" variant is one way to do it. Why don't they mention it? Bc they don't have a very good marketing team lol. If I remember correctly (I might be wrong), at first they did the same thing with the 3P vs the LR/SR.
Another potential reason could be liked to the chip shortage. Samsung and other suppliers can't provide enough lights for the entire car production so Tesla had to prioritize.
Also, I'm sure the lights supplier has raised his prices because of that global shortage
At the end of the day, the only reason behind this decision is about money and how they can cut costs to absorb this "Price increases due to major supply chain price pressure industry-wide. " (Quoting Elon Musk)
Valid points and I think in general we agree. But for every explanation why they include the global lights on all the M3 trims and the MYP but not the LR, there are perfectly reasonable counter arguments as to why those explanations don't make sense. At the end of the day, I doubt we will ever know. They'll probably pop up on the MYLR at some point without warning - or they won't. I mean, after all it is Tesla.

This is the way.

I agree that the MYP is the outlier in the equation but let’s just leave it at it costs more and likely has a different wiring harness anyways than the LR for some reason so might as well add the new lights. There was a cost quoted earlier in this thread or another and it was like $2100 vs $500.

I will also disagree with the fact that some of you think Tesla is “drawing down” a stockpile or depleting a standing order of the old lights. If you are Tesla and this LR/SR Y using headlights that are quite good yet “old” and it is easy to build and maintain your supplier of these lights (they have only been using them for 4 years people), why wouldn’t you continue to use them for many years until you have to switch because you are giving the car a facelift that requires a new design? The supplier will keep making them if Tesla pays them so keep things simple and continue with the status quo (and save 100s per car).

I agree that the MYP is the outlier in the equation but let’s just leave it at it costs more and likely has a different wiring harness anyways than the LR for some reason so might as well add the new lights. There was a cost quoted earlier in this thread or another and it was like $2100 vs $500.

I will also disagree with the fact that some of you think Tesla is “drawing down” a stockpile or depleting a standing order of the old lights. If you are Tesla and this LR/SR Y using headlights that are quite good yet “old” and it is easy to build and maintain your supplier of these lights (they have only been using them for 4 years people), why wouldn’t you continue to use them for many years until you have to switch because you are giving the car a facelift that requires a new design? The supplier will keep making them if Tesla pays them so keep things simple and continue with the status quo (and save 100s per car).
Yeah there's no reason to assume tesla has a warehouse full of old lights. All manufacturers try to hold as little inventory as possible typically.

Took delivery of my 211K VIN yesterday, and it has old headlights. It's fresh off the production line listed as a June build. I wanted the lights, but I also wanted the white interior that extends to the door panels, so picked my battle.
Do you mean the little white strip on the interior door panel - as opposed to the large panel? I still see the large panel on the MY configurator in the US.

Do you mean the little white strip on the interior door panel - as opposed to the large panel? I still see the large panel on the MY configurator in the US.
Correct. Eventually the Y will have the 3 interior, so the trim in the center of the door panel will remain black, regardless of your interior trim color choice. You can see the impact on the 3 configurator. I prefer the white trim insert vs. the white strip that continues around from the dash.

Reactions: sgalla04
Correct. Eventually the Y will have the 3 interior, so the trim in the center of the door panel will remain black, regardless of your interior trim color choice. You can see the impact on the 3 configurator. I prefer the white trim insert vs. the white strip that continues around from the dash.
Maybe I'm confused. So, did you order a Y or a 3? And did it come with the large white panel, or the small strip continuing from the dash? I think I want the small strip for my Y with white interior.

Maybe I'm confused. So, did you order a Y or a 3? And did it come with the large white panel, or the small strip continuing from the dash? I think I want the small strip for my Y with white interior.
If you want the small strip, wait for the updated door panel. That’s what the Model 3 currently has, and what the Model Y will eventually move to.

Looks like Tesla updated the website.. Now the LR Model Y shows the Old Headlights whereas the Performance one shows the New Headlights. Before, both of the trims showed the same headlights. Guess they decided to change and save some money and not put the newer headlights on the LR. Sucks!! Wish I had bought it during the $48,990 then and gotten my state rebate as well! Oh well too bad.
6hElTNO.png

GMSmZMX.png

There was no decision to change and (not) put new headlights in the LR. Tesla has never ever ever indicated they would put the worldwide headlights in the LR Y.

A picture on a website to illustrate color and wheel choices when headlights are not an option is the least reliable thing to use to interpret what Tesla’s plans are. Someone finally pointed out that people are holding back orders waiting for headlights (that aren’t coming) because of the (inaccurate) picture on the configurator so they changed it.

Valid points and I think in general we agree. But for every explanation why they include the global lights on all the M3 trims and the MYP but not the LR, there are perfectly reasonable counter arguments as to why those explanations don't make sense. At the end of the day, I doubt we will ever know. They'll probably pop up on the MYLR at some point without warning - or they won't. I mean, after all it is Tesla.

This is the way.
This is the way

Reactions: casey1202