Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3s have had the new lights since pretty much beginning of 2021 model year (whenever Tesla decided that started with the refreshed console and wheels and other bits). Same for MYP. Hence this thread and all the pointless speculation on when the LR MY will get them.
I have a model Y LR on order with target date of August 8 to 28th in my portal, contemplating on changing to P just to get the new headlights, but not sure if that will delay my delivery by putting me to the back of the line. thoughts?

I have a model Y LR on order with target date of August 8 to 28th in my portal, contemplating on changing to P just to get the new headlights, but not sure if that will delay my delivery by putting me to the back of the line. thoughts?
Ps have a shorter delivery lead time. however if you had gotten your Y at a lower price, your price will be adjusted to current pricing.

$6-10K (depending on options) just for new lights seems extreme (but it's not my money). If you want the P for the P I would go for it. But just for lights? I would pass.

I would expect you to go back to the end of the line, but the MYP line is shorter to start with so that's good.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I don't mind paying more, given that I get better brakes and some other goodies. But I am not sure on loosing range that is the reason I ordered the LR originally. Is the 21" wheels the reason why P has 23 miles less of range? or are there other factors? Asking because I am not planning to keep OEM wheels in either case.

I don't mind paying more, given that I get better brakes and some other goodies. But I am not sure on loosing range that is the reason I ordered the LR originally. Is the 21" wheels the reason why P has 23 miles less of range? or are there other factors? Asking because I am not planning to keep OEM wheels in either case.
I was in your shoes and upgraded mine to P. I'm not looking back and feel excited about my decision and I do plan on trading someone for the 20s.

Reactions: ucsdsig
If you are able to afford a MYLR then you should be able to afford the MYP. If you want the lights and don’t mind the other stuff then go get the P. If I remember correctly, i read in Tesla website that all P models have a more robust, higher output motor. That and the bigger wheels affect the range loss. Just like a v8 would burn more gas than a v6 normally.

If you are able to afford a MYLR then you should be able to afford the MYP. If you want the lights and don’t mind the other stuff then go get the P. If I remember correctly, i read in Tesla website that all P models have a more robust, higher output motor. That and the bigger wheels affect the range loss. Just like a v8 would burn more gas than a v6 normally.
I ended up converting my order to make sure I get the lights. I wear glasses and have bad vision so the better light output I can get the less I have to squint. I figured if I get the LR, then powder-coating brake calipers + spoiler + acceleration boost, might as well get the P and skip all that. now lets see if that change puts me back at the end of the line and when I'll get delivery.

I ended up converting my order to make sure I get the lights. I wear glasses and have bad vision so the better light output I can get the less I have to squint. I figured if I get the LR, then powder-coating brake calipers + spoiler + acceleration boost, might as well get the P and skip all that. now lets see if that change puts me back at the end of the line and when I'll get delivery.
It has never been confirmed to have "better" or "more" light output. In fact, it is likely "less" light output due to European laws regarding light intensity and headlight washers. The implementation of the "matrix" function allows light to be focused where it is needed (where you are going but maybe leaving side areas darker) without increased output. In the US we don't have those laws for headlight washers so our lights likely have higher output anyways and could be better for you as a whole. I would explain this to your SA and see if you can demo them side by side to compare lighting. I think there may have been some pictures posted here or in the M3 forum with comparative pictures and IIHS or one of the other safety letter agencies issues light ratings that you can compare across the 2020 and 2021 M3.

Reactions: MBx4 and mluu510
From IIHS:
79E11016-F6E2-45ED-868F-EF231A56F9B6.jpeg
0693D1CB-FC6C-4EE3-8010-678E79651845.jpeg

It's a $8k difference, man. That requires some consideration, it's not a free upgrade.

Reactions: Wolfhausen
Hate to burst your bubble, it's not a night and day difference. If it was, we'll all be pining it.