Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct @Jjrss, thanks.

And @Mrbrock generally the ability to retrofit is not a binary possible/impossible issue but a matter of cost. I just got done running a new display cable from the computer to the steering wheel. It wasn't the simplest job many because of access to the connector and the DIY circumstances, but it was orders of magnitude below impossible.

The biggest issue in retrofitting new cameras would be if they were to be mounted through body openings that presently don't exist. That is a big reason why the headlights idea is good IMO. Aside from being in the right place for the intended function, it solves the problems of retrofitting to existing body dedign and physical wiring access to the interior.

I have already proposed, in other threads, various possibilities of video merging using preprocessor modules, to address the question of adding or upgrading camera feeds within the current HW3 suite, and also and harness routing in case that would be pursued. This us to deal with the main issue that the HW3 FSD computer has only the 8 canera ports and it's very unlikely those are equipped for demultiplexing multiple HD video feeds.

I'm not aware of the specific limitations of the present hardware platform regarding communications bus bandwidth etc. Future platforms are likely to have very wideband buses; newer generations of CANbus are very capable and some cars are doing 100G ethernet etc.

In saying all this, I'm certainly not indicating that I believe Tesla will do it or that it's a piece of cake. But to say it's impossible is clearly incorrect. In this circumstance, the "Not happening" prediction is the safest but not the most imaginative. I've known many people who live on pessimistic naysaying, and indeed they are right at least 80% percent of the time. I care about what could be done given the will, not about Having Been Right when we check the internet comment history next year.
Has Tesla retrofitted anything that wasn’t direct plug and play? Like the new computers in Model S/X? I would guess that was all internal to that specific part so no new wiring was done. Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean Tesla will ever do it. They have shown they don’t do upgrades or retrofits. They restrict a lot of part sales so that makes it even harder. They are not in the tuning and aftermarket business so they put new parts on new cars and move on. Anything in the past is stuck with what it came with.

if anyone is curious I spoke to someone recently from service center about retrofit again. Some new info I got was that service center were given instructions not to install new global headlights by software team. So seems like its doable but idk why they are being weird about it.

Also the new global headlights are priced at $970 a piece.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
New electric parts require a new wiring harness. That’s not retrofittable. Power and signal wires to each camera having to be routed back to the computer and battery after the car is produced? Not happening.

Has Tesla retrofitted anything that wasn’t direct plug and play? Like the new computers in Model S/X? I would guess that was all internal to that specific part so no new wiring was done. Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean Tesla will ever do it. They have shown they don’t do upgrades or retrofits. They restrict a lot of part sales so that makes it even harder. They are not in the tuning and aftermarket business so they put new parts on new cars and move on. Anything in the past is stuck with what it came with.
Again these are two different points. In your prior post, first you said it was "not retrofittable". To which I responded and said yes it certainly could be retrofittable (and without gutting the car). Second you said "Not happening". That's different; it's a prediction (and what I think is indeed the safe, i.e. most likely albeit pessimistic prediction). Your follow-up post is an elaboration of the "Not happening" prediction which again I tend to agree with though I wish it were otherwise.

I think our difference is that I find it interesting to discuss how it could be done in an arguably reasonable manner, and I would wish to see Tesla put more effort into making good on FSD capabilities in the present cars. I don't think that's an unreasonable point of view from a cost or engineering standpoint but of course it isn't free. Your point of view, as with the headlights discussion, is simply to predict Tesla will do nothing of the kind, and you're not interested in how it might be accomplished because you've already decided it won't be. And for the third time, I concede you're probably right about that.

And by the way, the discussion of corner-camera retrofittability is moot if Tesla still does not believe that such cameras have any value. There is some evidence, at the rumor/leak level, that HW4 will have higher resolution cameras. But it's less clear that it will have more cameras e.g. new corner cameras.

Saw this post on Model Y Group on Facebook while searching for something about having some residue in one of my headlights (which I think I will wait until it gets worse before scheduling a service).

It looks like a service center put an MYLR headlight onto a MYP which has the updated headlights and it looks like it does plug in and work with the MYP but it looks like the DRL doesn't work properly and there are some other issues. Guessing it either is actually different wiring or different software for the newer lights.

1637716081274.png

I had some hope that least the 2022 Model Y long range would at least get the new projector headlights but looking at December deliveries and they're still on the older headlights. Wonder why all model 3 and MYP have it but not MYLR

Not legal in the US yet and they are cheaper.

On a side note, looks like the new headlights actually are matrix as it projects TESLA on the new holiday light show.

I can’t speak to the Subaru but the MYLR is definitely a downgrade from my 2018 BMW X3 with the adaptive LED headlights. It’s disappointing that the MYLR still hasn’t gotten the global lights at this point.
How much was that option on your BMW (part of executive package)? I see $3300 for premium and $3500 for executive. That’s $6800 you paid in options that you want aTesla to throw in for free. A replacement light housing is $2400 On the bmw while a standard led for Tesla can be had for $400. You want Tesla to give us a $4k upgrade for free (maybe $750 sa cost)? $1.5k x 100k cars = $150,000,000. That’s a lot of reasons for Tesla to not transition to global lights in the US.