Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model 3 has great lights, can’t understand why MY lights are not up to par. Maybe subjective?
It’s partly subjective I believe. I briefly looked to previous posts and did not find anywhere that the MY ratings from IIHS changed. I did find comparisons between the Model 3 reflectors vs projectors in this thread though.

E108A39D-DCA1-45DA-A88D-3A8FD48B2FFF.png

Here is the 2020 model 3 reflectors. Maybe the Good rating takes into account the high beams.
61DB68FD-0293-4F5E-8297-AE94691578BB.png

Here is the Model Y with reflectors. Similar performance with the M3 reflectors but rated lower. Could be the high beams.
CBF7BF97-F9D1-43FC-88E4-017219F06FE5.png

And here is the Model Y with LED projector. It shows a better performance in my opinion.

Whether it’s significant or not it’s subjective. I can still enjoy the car even with led reflectors.

Attachments

• 21B1C90A-95D3-4F51-951A-B5974C819E7B.png
    21B1C90A-95D3-4F51-951A-B5974C819E7B.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BnGrm
It’s partly subjective I believe. I briefly looked to previous posts and did not find anywhere that the MY ratings from IIHS changed. I did find comparisons between the Model 3 reflectors vs projectors in this thread though.

View attachment 765071
Here is the 2020 model 3 reflectors. Maybe the Good rating takes into account the high beams.
View attachment 765074
Here is the Model Y with reflectors. Similar performance with the M3 reflectors but rated lower. Could be the high beams.
View attachment 765073
And here is the Model Y with LED projector. It shows a better performance in my opinion.

Whether it’s significant or not it’s subjective. I can still enjoy the car even with led reflectors.
Nice info but that is not how I rate my headlights. I either struggle to see or I don’t. And I don’t . But again subjective.

Since I am still waiting/postponing my MY LR delivery, I definitely hope this Drive Tesla Canada's report that "Tesla did make one other change to specs page, updating the image of the Model Y LR to have the newer matrix LED headlights." means the LR will be shipping with the Matrix headlights soon.

The table below is from IIHS 2021 Tesla Model Y 4-door SUV
under Headlights expand Technical measurements for this test.

Performance
Long Range​
Performance​
Long Range​
Low Beams​
Avg min distance​
Avg min distance​
Glare​
Glare​
Straightaway right edge​
97.2 m​
94.4 m​
None
15.80%​
Straightaway left edge​
73.9 m​
60.0 m​
None​
15.80%​
250m radius right curve, right edge​
89.2 m​
62.3 m​
None​
None​
250m radius left curve, left edge​
70.5 m​
52.5 m​
None​
None​
150m radius right curve, right edge​
71.4 m​
54.1 m​
None​
None​
150m radius left curve, left edge​
55.6 m​
45.1 m​
None​
None​

Reactions: ProjectTrinity
Reactions: ProjectTrinity
I suspect this and the "Acceptable" rating by IIHS on the MY LR headlights will push Tesla to use the new headlights in the MY LR, if they haven't already started the cut over to the matrix headlights.

I hope so. They appreciate the IIHS crash rating enough to advertise it on their website so it’s not just some random group doing random testing.