Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Ys in Showrooms yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont think we will see showroom vehicles for at least another 3 months. 100% of the vehicles produced initially will be for customers.

In all honestly, the Model Y is the same as Model 3, just bigger. If your wife were to test drive the model 3 and visualize a bigger cabin interior, higher ride height.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I stand corrected. Showrooms. Either way, would be nice to see these sooner than later. Still struggle why Tesla doesn't show up at the auto shows around the country. I get it, that would fall under marketing, but when you drop 50K on something, seeing it would help a lot.

Many auto shows are dealer shows, where Tesla is not welcome because they sell directly rather than follow the dealership business model.

Another reason is because demand is already greater than supply, so there is no reason to further increase demand by participating in conventional marketing activities.

If your wife needs to sit in one before buying, your best bet is to find a Tesla meet-up once Ys start getting delivered and ask the owner for a look.

Many auto shows are dealer shows, where Tesla is not welcome because they sell directly rather than follow the dealership business model.

Another reason is because demand is already greater than supply, so there is no reason to further increase demand by participating in conventional marketing activities.

If your wife needs to sit in one before buying, your best bet is to find a Tesla meet-up once Ys start getting delivered and ask the owner for a look.
Indeed, Tesla won't have a problem selling their Model Y's to someone else.

Reactions: decrypt and Fiddler
I stand corrected. Showrooms. Either way, would be nice to see these sooner than later. Still struggle why Tesla doesn't show up at the auto shows around the country. I get it, that would fall under marketing, but when you drop 50K on something, seeing it would help a lot.

With over 300,000 Model Y orders and an estimated 450,000 CyberTruck orders why bother with auto shows and the expenses associated. The company does not even show S and X's at autoshows, local Tesla car groups show their cars. And anyone that wants either vehicle has made a reservation since those reservations are cancellable with minimal penalty. Plus having a friend give someone a test ride or post a video on YouTube has worked pretty well until now.

Wife really wants to see one of these before she gives the final green light. Any out there in the wild yet?

A few have been spotted at superchargers. These are test units and are occasionally spotted. I don’t know if any have been spotted testing in Illinois.
While the Y is based on the 3, I would suggest waiting till you can see it, as it is different enough.
I am assuming you have seen the image comparisons online?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Tesla dealerships don't exist!

No Model Y's are currently in Tesla showrooms, and I wouldn't expect them to be for awhile.

You are probably correct, but if I was Elon, I'd make the first run deliveries to friends & families (and employees) to get the bugs out, and I'd send the second run to showrooms to build up more buzz and sales backlog. After all, it's only a few hundred cars if he delivers one per showroom.

You are probably correct, but if I was Elon, I'd make the first run deliveries to friends & families (and employees) to get the bugs out, and I'd send the second run to showrooms to build up more buzz and sales backlog. After all, it's only a few hundred cars if he delivers one per showroom.

Doubt if you'll see showroom Model Y before Q2, so say early May at earliest.
All Model Y produced in Q1 that can be sold, will be sold.

My wife is also waiting on the Y and had lots of questions about the size of the trunk etc and lately started feeling like maybe the Y wasn't for her. Then we saw a Y in the wild in Quebec city, got a chance to walk around it and see in side the trunk. It has confirmed her stand that she loves it.... It really is going to be a top seller....

My wife is also waiting on the Y and had lots of questions about the size of the trunk etc and lately started feeling like maybe the Y wasn't for her. Then we saw a Y in the wild in Quebec city, got a chance to walk around it and see in side the trunk. It has confirmed her stand that she loves it.... It really is going to be a top seller....

What made her change her opinion about being right for her once she saw it in person?

Best way to see a Y in person is to drive over to a delivery/service center when they get released. They will be in the parking lots there, after prep and waiting for customers to pick up. Should be able to see the different colors and interiors by peaking inside.

Of course, don't bother the employees to open them up, let you sit inside etc. They are already to go to the customers.

Also see them at local Superchargers once they get a bunch on the road. Maybe get a chance to chat up a new owner there.

Also tend to see new models at our local Tesla Club events. We have clubs here in LA, Orange County and San Diego. New owners tend to bring their latest cars to allow other members to check them out.

Always exciting when Tesla rolls out something new...

By the time they get to showrooms there will be thousands of them on the street.

Reactions: Big Earl
While many order their Tesla sight unseen, others want more details. Some want to try out the seats, check out the leg room in the back, see how it drives, if it fits in their garage, what it looks like in different colors, how it rides, how quiet it is, how much ground clearance, is it easy to get in and out, what about the size of the trunk/frunk, how do the headlights work at night, etc.

Takes a while to get all this information available to potential buyers. They usually need to wait quite a while to get all the answers. Even Auto Magazines need to wait a long time for testers an ability to release their evaluations to the public.

More often than not, buying a new model Tesla is a leap of faith. True believers get the first ones.