Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any mods to make the M3P faster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can get a CNC shop to help you. I would consider working on gear reduction to get a lower gear ratio. Sort of like putting 4:10 in place of a 3:73.
I would start with an email to https://unpluggedperformance.com/. Randy was using a model 3 for hill climbing before the Plaid. They may can offer some pointers (software or hardware) on order to squeeze out a bit more.
Best of luck. When that 1/4 mile stuff bites, it bites hard.

The only real things that can be done is Lighter wheels/Better tires and weight reduction. Weight reduction would be removing the seats that you dont use/need and if you are trying to go full racecar/track only type vehicle replace the glass with polycarbonate.

There is no 'tune' out there to make the P go faster.
No "tune," but I do wonder if there are hardware changes that could be made. For example, it would be cool if a battery pack could be reconfigured/redesigned for increase voltage to the motors. I doubt Tesla's system would allow it; probably some over voltage protection built in. Going back to a stand-alone system, it'll probably be needed with a reconfigured battery.

Kenne Bell needs to make a larger version of this.... 😁

There's been speculation (there's an article somewhere with tests I believe) that the P software is designed to hit a specific 0-60 and there is variation in power delivery available based on load. I think the test involved doing it on a slight incline vs. a flat road and they got the same 0-60 result. I haven't looked into it much, but if that is indeed the case it would indicate that there is hardware capacity and it is being limited by software. This is something an aftermarket company could potentially unlock.

As others have mentioned, weight reduction will help - and tire/wheel combos will have the most dramatic effect.

Reactions: Adam3
If you can get a CNC shop to help you. I would consider working on gear reduction to get a lower gear ratio. Sort of like putting 4:10 in place of a 3:73.
My car throws errors when I put tires on it that are too big. I can't even imagine how annoyed it would be after you swap gear ratios and the motor speed doesn't match the hub speed.
If you can make this work, you're deep enough inside the software to make actual power upgrades possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
"If you replace your tires or install different ones, reset the tire configuration (see Tire Configuration). This resets the learned tire settings and improves the driving experience on your new tires."
That function has only existed for a few months now. Plus, there's no indication it corrects for large, 20% errors like we are talking about here.
In my case, it's pointless because I switch tires every couple hundred miles, and it says it can take hundreds of miles to calibrate.

lol it's funny you buy a "performance" model of a car and you get trolled asking if there are mods to make them faster. Guess I am dealing with much different crowd than my 20+ years of having fast cars....
This is why I have a love/hate relationship with the P3D. It is so good out of the box that it beats almost anything else you can buy, but there is also very little for you to do to the car that will make it perform better.

When I was into modding WRX or SE-R Sentras there was always something else you could add... bigger turbo, headers, exhaust, injectors, new tune, intercooler, clutch, etc. Plus you had rims and suspension mods. It was expensive and time consuming but you really got to personalize the car and try to stay ahead of your friends.

It is a good problem to have, a great car that is faster than 99% of the cars on the road out of the box and is efficient too. But I get it, if you come from a street tuner background it does leave you wanting more options. I did do coilovers, rims, and a few other suspension mods to my P3D- and I am very happy with the results but my buddy just ordered a c8 Z06 3LZ and I am jealous of all the customization available and the mods he can do. Plus his car will smoke mine and there is nothing I can do about it.

It is a good problem to have, a great car that is faster than 99% of the cars on the road out of the box and is efficient too. But I get it, if you come from a street tuner background it does leave you wanting more options. I did do coilovers, rims, and a few other suspension mods to my P3D- and I am very happy with the results but my buddy just ordered a c8 Z06 3LZ and I am jealous of all the customization available and the mods he can do. Plus his car will smoke mine and there is nothing I can do about it.
You're right, this is a great problem to have. I don't want to call it a money pit but as you start down that modification rabbit hole, you're always chasing the weakest link. I'll call it an addiction. It doesn't stop with just cars. I picked up a new Honda Monkey and my end game will probably cost as much in performance parts than I bought the bike for.

Stickier tires also.
The M3P is not traction limited in a straight line, and the OP asked about 1/4 mile times, so this is not effective. In fact, these may slow you down as they have higher rolling resistance.

but my buddy just ordered a c8 Z06 3LZ and I am jealous of all the customization available and the mods he can do. Plus his car will smoke mine and there is nothing I can do about it.
Well, you can do something. Buy a Plaid. Because a Z06 3LZ is a $200K+ car right now, and a Plaid is a lot cheaper than that. Unless your goal is to beat him on a road course, which I am guessing it is not if you started with a P3D-.

Plus, he can't do mods like you think he can. The Corvette ECU's are the modern generation ECU's that have the same kind of software protection that Teslas have. Nobody has cracked them and likely never will. To add stuff, you need to go with piggybacks and such, and of course completely trash any warranty on that new $200K car. Plus of course the fact that any engine mods are technically federally illegal under the EPA, and they are starting to crack down hard on this after all the Diesel bros ruined it, so fewer companies are focusing on this.

The future is non-power mods for any street driven car, and the Tesla has the same options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apprunner
Well, you can do something. Buy a Plaid. Because a Z06 3LZ is a $200K+ car right now, and a Plaid is a lot cheaper than that. Unless your goal is to beat him on a road course, which I am guessing it is not if you started with a P3D-.

Plus, he can't do mods like you think he can. The Corvette ECU's are the modern generation ECU's that have the same kind of software protection that Teslas have. Nobody has cracked them and likely never will. To add stuff, you need to go with piggybacks and such, and of course completely trash any warranty on that new $200K car. Plus of course the fact that any engine mods are technically federally illegal under the EPA, and they are starting to crack down hard on this after all the Diesel bros ruined it, so fewer companies are focusing on this.

The future is non-power mods for any street driven car, and the Tesla has the same options.
Nah it was around $130k pretty similar to a plaid. Agreed that aftermarket modding is harder than it used to be but you can still do exhaust and other mods plus places like trifecta performance claim they can do “native” tunes on the C8. I’ll also be shocked if Hennessy doesn’t get access at some point.

I’m not knocking the bang for the buck of a Tesla. It’s just a different mentality for folks that grew up wrenching on their engines and enjoy the process and community around it as much as the results. If I pull up next to another P3D I know it’ll be exactly as fast as mine every time. It wasn’t like that in the WRX community, we’d pull over and talk about what we’d done to the car and what we’d like to do.

There's also the gotcha when comparing fully modified cars and an out of the box M3P. M3P you can daily drive, I hardly see modified beasts driving around the streets doing errands at my local Target or grocery stores.
Without a doubt it is the most practical 11 second car I have ever seen. Great storage, seats 4 adults comfortably, quiet, smooth, cheap to operate and efficient. I bought one for a reason 😉.

Reactions: Kokukenji
Nah it was around $130k pretty similar to a plaid.
Getting a Z06 for MSRP required you to put your name on a list over a year ago with a serious deposit, and also winning the lottery of being early in that list. Many dealers got 2,000 people on their Z06 list in the first day (about a 10 year wait).
Thus, given nobody can just go buy one for MSRP, and you could easily sell the car for $200K, it's a $200K car. If you want one for MSRP, you're going to have to wait 3-5 years.
Meanwhile, Tesla will sell you a Plaid before EOY, for less money, and it will eviscerate a Z06 in a straight line.

Agreed that aftermarket modding is harder than it used to be but you can still do exhaust and other mods plus places like trifecta performance claim they can do “native” tunes on the C8.
Trifecta claims to have cracked it, but doesn't sell any tunes, and has indicated there is no power left on the table with stock tunes. Given the OBDIII / OTA nature of the C8, Chevy can close this door when they want. So unless you are going to throw forced induction on the already 670HP car,
Changing the exhaust won't make the car any faster.

Meanwhile, companies like AEM are coming out with ways to increase EV performance:

(I say all of this as someone with a day one Z06 on "order", yet still years away from getting one, but my use case is road courses)

Last edited:
Just wire in some extra battery cells (in series) and you'll get a decent boost in acceleration. :)

It worked on my old electric RC car. Ripped long wheelies all day long!

Attachments

• mpW.jpg
    mpW.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 126