Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any movers from model s to model y. Anything you regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came here to figure out my Model S loaner (that I'll have for about 10 days they said). My Model Y is getting the factory paint fixed... my loaner looks to be a 2015 70.

I miss my MY already (just picked this up this morning).

- Model S, sunroof that opens, it's on chill mode all the time so can't judge on the feel. Car makes some weird noises (like an older car might). Tried supercharging... slow AF (as the kids say). The loaner came to me dirty on the outside, dinged and scuffed up and with some discoloration on the driver's seat. Compared the MY I feel like I'm climbing out of a hole in ground but it's the same as my previous car (BMW 5 series).

The S just didn't feel as intuitive. No orientation so figuring out how to start the autosteer was a challenge... I couldn't see the cruise control stock. Was trying to operate it like my MY. Talking on the phone there was a handset icon on the main screen... took a while of looking around for a matching button and figured out eventually that you push the right thumb wheel.

Hopefully I'll get used to driving it... again, looks a bit like a beater. I'm going to wash it and see if I feel better about driving it.

I came here to figure out my Model S loaner (that I'll have for about 10 days they said). My Model Y is getting the factory paint fixed... my loaner looks to be a 2015 70.

The loaner came to me dirty on the outside, dinged and scuffed up and with some discoloration on the driver's seat.

again, looks a bit like a beater. I'm going to wash it and see if I feel better about driving it.

At the risk of getting terribly off topic... "Right!?!??!"

I was SHOCKED at the state of the loaner vehicle I picked up this weekend. It was filthy inside and out. There were A LOT of dead grass clippings on all of the floor mats front and rear. The dash screen was delaminating. We found someone's discarded t-shirt in the trunk. It had obviously been wrecked as the right rear quarter panel was basically Bondo and primer.

Anyone remember when Elon said:
“Our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. If you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous … Model X that we have. Same for Model S.”

"It will be the kind of thing where you hope service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line as a service loaner."

In nearly 8 years of ownership, I have rarely ever had a loaner even roughly equivalent to my car (a regular 85 RWD), much less a "fully loaded state-of the-art" anything. Hell, my current loaner is a 2014 (!) 60 (!!) named, I kid you not, "Old Blue."

Reactions: saltsman
Our S has >108k miles on it. We feel the itch for a Y but my wife loves loves LOVES the S. (I prefer driving our 3.) She likes the Y but has a huge attachment to the S. As we've discussed trading the S in on the Y, here's some of our (sometimes conflicting) thoughts.
  • The S has had some reliability issues (two new batteries, new motor, new onboard charger, new MCU, new door handles, air suspension sensor) and we don't want to get hit with a huge repair bill for, say, another MCU or air suspension leak or onboard charger.
  • The counter to the above is that the S is paid for and even replacing a few of these items is way cheaper than getting a new car.
  • We have free supercharging and connectivity on the S.
  • The counter to this is that Tesla has throttled our supercharging speed to the point that it makes long distance travel in the S unacceptably slow.
  • We love the storage in the S. Dogs, luggage, trips to Home Depot and Costco, you name it.
  • The Y is probably better in this regard, with its flush rear deck. Access into the S's rear storage area can sometimes be difficult.
  • Our S has AP1, which is useful but not as robust as the current state of FSD. (We have FSD in the 3 and even though it's not at all FSD yet, it's more useful than AP1 in the S is.)
  • The Y probably wins here because we'd get the FSD on the Y since we reserved the Y back when FSD was cheaper.
  • The S is a P85, which was impressive back in the day and still is no slouch in the getup and go department.
  • The Performance Y that we've reserved will out perform the P85 in every regard, not the least of which is the Y's AWD, which will dramatically improve handling over that of our RWD S.
All in all, I think switching to a Y would be an improvement. The problem is, neither my wife nor I want another car payment. The S is paid for and every mile we drive it now is increasing the value we get from that expense. This thinking will probably keep us in the S for the foreseeable future. One never knows, though. My wife could decide one day that she's had it with her S and wants a Y and enough of me wants a new Y that I'd offer little resistance to the upgrade.

• The S has had some reliability issues (two new batteries, new motor, new onboard charger, new MCU, new door handles, air suspension sensor) and we don't want to get hit with a huge repair bill for, say, another MCU or air suspension leak or onboard charger.

SOME reliability issues? By two new batteries, do you mean the 12v battery, or the full pack? Cause, damn!

Our S has >108k miles on it. We feel the itch for a Y but my wife loves loves LOVES the S. (I prefer driving our 3.) She likes the Y but has a huge attachment to the S. As we've discussed trading the S in on the Y, here's some of our (sometimes conflicting) thoughts.
  • The counter to the above is that the S is paid for and even replacing a few of these items is way cheaper than getting a new car.
  • We have free supercharging and connectivity on the S.
  • The counter to this is that Tesla has throttled our supercharging speed to the point that it makes long distance travel in the S unacceptably slow.
  • We love the storage in the S. Dogs, luggage, trips to Home Depot and Costco, you name it.
  • The Y is probably better in this regard, with its flush rear deck. Access into the S's rear storage area can sometimes be difficult.
  • Our S has AP1, which is useful but not as robust as the current state of FSD. (We have FSD in the 3 and even though it's not at all FSD yet, it's more useful than AP1 in the S is.)
  • The Y probably wins here because we'd get the FSD on the Y since we reserved the Y back when FSD was cheaper.
  • The S is a P85, which was impressive back in the day and still is no slouch in the getup and go department.
  • The Performance Y that we've reserved will out perform the P85 in every regard, not the least of which is the Y's AWD, which will dramatically improve handling over that of our RWD S.
All in all, I think switching to a Y would be an improvement. The problem is, neither my wife nor I want another car payment. The S is paid for and every mile we drive it now is increasing the value we get from that expense. This thinking will probably keep us in the S for the foreseeable future. One never knows, though. My wife could decide one day that she's had it with her S and wants a Y and enough of me wants a new Y that I'd offer little resistance to the upgrade.

It's discouraging that your S is crippled for long distance travel at only 100,000 miles. Is the pack in your years P85 particularity vulnerable to degradation?

It's discouraging that your S is crippled for long distance travel at only 100,000 miles. Is the pack in your years P85 particularity vulnerable to degradation?
My S is the same, and it's only just coming up on 50k miles. It's likely they nerfed the charge rate to avoid battery warranty claims. The early S examples are coming up on their 8 year battery warranty expirations.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing to the 3 and Y when their time comes up.

Additionally, on some S packs they also capped the cell voltage, which came with a corresponding loss of range. That one hasn't affected mine yet, but all indications are it will eventually.

New Model Y Performance owner (50 miles) coming from 2017 Model S and previously 2014 Model S. Agree with all of the above comments. The computer in the Y is way better than my 2017 S. Auto wipers are actually way, way better. Auto high beams fine. Speed of computer and modem are much better. The most significant difference is the wheel base. The shorter wheel base, combined with the Performance upgrade in the Y, is so much fun to drive. It feels small, while the S felt big. All in all, I wish the Y had a center dash, but I will learn to deal with it. Buy either the S or Y without regret.

Don’t forget you can do an overnight test drive with the Y... can give you more time to drive it and determine if it’s worth the switch from the S.

I did it so I had time for a long drive to dinner with my g/f, so she could drive it, and more importantly so I could load the car as if I was going to a track day (motorcycle track day) because I wanted to make sure it had enough space to load all of my gear.

Don’t forget you can do an overnight test drive with the Y... can give you more time to drive it and determine if it’s worth the switch from the S.

I did it so I had time for a long drive to dinner with my g/f, so she could drive it, and more importantly so I could load the car as if I was going to a track day (motorcycle track day) because I wanted to make sure it had enough space to load all of my gear.

i didnt know about this. Was never offerred an overnight tester. After doing it what did you decide?

New Model Y Performance owner (50 miles) coming from 2017 Model S and previously 2014 Model S. Agree with all of the above comments. The computer in the Y is way better than my 2017 S. Auto wipers are actually way, way better. Auto high beams fine. Speed of computer and modem are much better. The most significant difference is the wheel base. The shorter wheel base, combined with the Performance upgrade in the Y, is so much fun to drive. It feels small, while the S felt big. All in all, I wish the Y had a center dash, but I will learn to deal with it. Buy either the S or Y without regret.

This is very helpful. Id be doing the non performance anyway as the performance wont be eligible for the nj rebate. Any difference in suspension between performance and non? Did you have fsd before and did you rebuy it?

i didnt know about this. Was never offerred an overnight tester. After doing it what did you decide?
It’s not advertised on their website so I just asked the SA and we scheduled a date.

Oh, I also wanted the overnight test so I could see what my wh/mi would be with my normal driving. I drove around 75-80moh on the highway and IIRC averaged around 270-300 on a 45 mile trip. This was also with a Performance Y.

I was very happy with it and purchased the AWD with 20” induction wheels. Taking delivery this afternoon.

They definitely nerfed the battery's charge rate. Our battery died and they gave us a new pack (probably refurbished) that returned our range to what it was when the car was factory new, so obviously the subsequent throttling was not because the battery was degraded. They're doing it based on the car's age/mileage, presumably to avoid battery warranty claims down the road. The side effect of making the car unusable for long trips is really annoying. We discovered this on a trip from Dallas to Galveston to take a cruise, a trip we've taken many times before. It was obvious that charging was being throttled. We would plug in at a low SOC, the charging would begin at 120 kW and instantly drop to 80 kW and begin tapering from there. Overall, we noticed a 50% increase in the total charging time for the trip. Very annoying and far too much of an increase to consider a longer range trip with the car.

What good is lifetime free supercharging if it's throttled to unsuitability? It reminds me of AT&T's "unlimited" data plan that they throttled to uselessness after a certain amount of data had been consumed. Telling me that I can have all the oxygen I want but giving it to me one molecule at a time doesn't prevent me from suffocating.

They definitely nerfed the battery's charge rate. Our battery died and they gave us a new pack (probably refurbished) that returned our range to what it was when the car was factory new, so obviously the subsequent throttling was not because the battery was degraded. They're doing it based on the car's age/mileage, presumably to avoid battery warranty claims down the road. The side effect of making the car unusable for long trips is really annoying. We discovered this on a trip from Dallas to Galveston to take a cruise, a trip we've taken many times before. It was obvious that charging was being throttled. We would plug in at a low SOC, the charging would begin at 120 kW and instantly drop to 80 kW and begin tapering from there. Overall, we noticed a 50% increase in the total charging time for the trip. Very annoying and far too much of an increase to consider a longer range trip with the car.

What good is lifetime free supercharging if it's throttled to unsuitability? It reminds me of AT&T's "unlimited" data plan that they throttled to uselessness after a certain amount of data had been consumed. Telling me that I can have all the oxygen I want but giving it to me one molecule at a time doesn't prevent me from suffocating.
I wonder if M3 and MY will also suffer from chargegate and rangegate when their warranty is up. Guess we will find out in a couple of years

SOME reliability issues? By two new batteries, do you mean the 12v battery, or the full pack? Cause, damn!

Two full packs. I think it the problem was that the first replacement pack they gave us had an underlying issue because within six months the "new" pack died again had to be replaced. Knock on wood it's been fine for the 10 months since then. FYI, during all this I learned that Tesla proactively replaces the 12v battery any time they replace the HV pack.

In total we've had (from memory):
  • Motor replaced due to the "motor whine" (under warranty)
  • MCU replaced and then immediately replaced again, within the hour. (The SC said a corrupted USB music drive that was plugged in to the USB port had killed the new MCU while the car was still at the SC so they had to replace the replacement MCU.) (warranty)
  • door handle (barely within warranty)
  • the other three door handles (I rebuilt those)
  • onboard charger ($2000)
  • HV battery (warranty; around 90k miles)
  • HV battery again six months later (warranty)
  • steering wheel control wheel ($300)
  • air suspension, sensor bracket misalignment (not leak), ($100)
  • rear oil seals ($400)
  • recurring axle "clicking" noise from the "rear axle splines", cleaned and lubed a couple of times ($100) but the noise always returns so Tesla is now saying the vehicle is "operating as designed," so apparently the Model S is designed for the rear axle to make clicking sounds, especially when traveling at low speeds

This is very helpful. Id be doing the non performance anyway as the performance wont be eligible for the nj rebate. Any difference in suspension between performance and non? Did you have fsd before and did you rebuy it?

I think the performance suspension is lowered, but unsure if stiffer. Honestly. I would not have gotten performance had the $2,000 0-60 upgrade been available. I had enhanced autopilot on the 2017 model S, but did not get FSD on the Y.