Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any mud flaps effectiveness or efficiency tests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read many threads on the flaps and I am aware that the MY's rocker areas get a beating from the front tires kicking up road debris. PPF in the area helps and there is no doubt that giant, low and out protruding mud flaps would substantially migite the damage. At the same time, the flaps I've seen are designed to be a compromise between aesthetics, fit, and function.

Now then, has anyone done effectiveness tests on any of the available mud flaps (a test like one side with and the other side without) and see how much the limited low and out protruding flaps actually help? I'm sure they help some, but are they worth the [subjectively] affected appearance and potential reduction in efficiency?

And there is the next question--I imagine that there is some aerodynamic drag, so has anyone observed the range effect mud flaps have on the Model Y?

I'm just trying to find out how much they help, how they affect the range, and if they are worth it.

Thanks.

The very first thing I did was put PPF on the rear doors! And when I got home I put the mud flaps from Tesla on. I was unable to determine about efficiency -- but I didn't care. If I could protect the paint I didn't care if I lost a few miles range! 11k miles and 15 months later -- no paint damage at all! On another note about the mud flaps from Tesla -- they are somewhat flexible. I occasionally have to drive through an area that has some MONSTER speed bumps. Those flaps just bend with bump causing no damage to the flap without breaking.

I installed some from Amazon

A-Premium 4 Pcs Mud Flaps Splash Guards Fender Mudguard Compatible with Tesla Model Y 2020 2021 2022 Front and Rear

and they made a huge difference. Not 100% solved, but way better nothing and the look ok.... I mean for mud flaps on a "performance" car. I also go MYP mode and its AWD so i suspect damage will still happen at 1/3rd the rate. Lol. Save your PPF dollars for a down payment on your next respray.

Reactions: snovvman
Now then, has anyone done effectiveness tests on any of the available mud flaps (a test like one side with and the other side without) and see how much the limited low and out protruding flaps actually help? I'm sure they help some, but are they worth the [subjectively] affected appearance and potential reduction in efficiency?
Pretty good comparison between Tesla OEM mud flaps and the lower profile versions found on Amazon.

This has been keeping me up at night lately. Literally, it's 1am and I'm researching MY mud flaps. I HATE that this is even necessary...I fall into the camp that thinks mud flaps are hideous, but with the flared rear panel design of the MY it beats having a ruined paint job after 6 months. I ended up going with the A Premium flaps on Amazon. I think the lower profile molded plastic versions look 1000X better than the Tesla or even Rally Armor monstrosities (no offense, just not trying to build a rally car here), and of all of those I liked the A Premium the best for not having a hollow scoop design and a being fairly minimalist overall.

Pretty good comparison between Tesla OEM mud flaps and the lower profile versions found on Amazon.

But... they're testing the product of a channel sponsor. Immediate nullification of any results gleaned even if there is supposedly an undeniable 'visual difference'.

Not bashing on the channel or their content, they clearly disclosed it, just pointing this out that sponsored content is not objective. So personally I don't watch that and immediately feel the need to buy the abstract ocean flaps. Happy with the OEM ones + OEM PPF for now.

And there is the next question--I imagine that there is some aerodynamic drag, so has anyone observed the range effect mud flaps have on the Model Y?
This is like the driving in rain vs dry efficiency / aerodynamics question that gets discussed a lot.

The short answer is it's just insanely complicated to calculate this in any meaningful or scientific way, and if you could it would either be enormously expensive to cover a small number of common use cases, or incredibly focused on an individual scenario which isn't useful to many.

Easiest to assume that yes, as it is a flat surface it is creating drag or contributing to the way air moves around the wheels and underneath the car, but probably not by enough to be of concern or influence your decision too much.

But... they're testing the product of a channel sponsor. Immediate nullification of any results gleaned even if there is supposedly an undeniable 'visual difference'.

Not bashing on the channel or their content, they clearly disclosed it, just pointing this out that sponsored content is not objective. So personally I don't watch that and immediately feel the need to buy the abstract ocean flaps. Happy with the OEM ones + OEM PPF for now.
Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree that the fact Abstract Ocean is a sponsor definitively means the review was performed in a biased manner and any results should therefore be nullified, but your point is valid. There's definitely a need for more comparison from unaffiliated sources.

This has been keeping me up at night lately. Literally, it's 1am and I'm researching MY mud flaps. I HATE that this is even necessary...I fall into the camp that thinks mud flaps are hideous, but with the flared rear panel design of the MY it beats having a ruined paint job after 6 months. I ended up going with the A Premium flaps on Amazon. I think the lower profile molded plastic versions look 1000X better than the Tesla or even Rally Armor monstrosities (no offense, just not trying to build a rally car here), and of all of those I liked the A Premium the best for not having a hollow scoop design and a being fairly minimalist overall.

How effective has the A Premiums been for you?

Thanks for pointing it out. I skipped to the results so I missed it the disclosure.

This is like the driving in rain vs dry efficiency / aerodynamics question that gets discussed a lot.

The short answer is it's just insanely complicated to calculate this in any meaningful or scientific way, and if you could it would either be enormously expensive to cover a small number of common use cases, or incredibly focused on an individual scenario which isn't useful to many.

Easiest to assume that yes, as it is a flat surface it is creating drag or contributing to the way air moves around the wheels and underneath the car, but probably not by enough to be of concern or influence your decision too much.

Points well made. Thanks.

I bought the Rally Armor flaps but I don't have my MY yet. I'll return and report in Aug. I drive off the pavement often to hike and to ski several times a week in the winter.
Still protect the rear door panel at least.

I have full PPF and rally armor flaps, that area is pretty shredded and I don't drive off pavement. I do have 15k on my car now but it was showing from just a few thousand miles

Reactions: scissorfighter
If you live in any state that puts sand on the roads in the winter, rear door PPF is essential. I have the rally armor flaps, which arguably provide the most protection due to their large size, and XPEL PPF as well. After 1 winter, the PPF on the lower rear doors looks like it’s been hit with a power sander.