Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any my Peeps good with ATTiny?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
I've got a quick project that might best be served by an ATTiny. I've got no desire to get up to speed on Atmel tools so I thought I would troll for one of my fellow forum peeps that is already up to speed. Please let me know your thoughts.

Application
Ditching the engine driven hydraulic pump on the Garrett TFE731-3 when installing it in an L39 Albatros. I would like to do an electric pump pack but really do not like the available aircraft options.

Soooooo, I am going to do a RC Brushless out runner motor in the 3.5 KW range and drive the ESC with a micro. The micro needs to look at hydraulic accumulator pressure (0-5 v) and direct the ESC to all on or all off (with some hysteresis). The ATTiny draws about .2 ma using the on board 128 KHz osc so I can use the ESC's BEC even when the input voltage is 28 Vdc. The tiny also has a watchdog and brown out along with PWM out and A/D in (or comparator) so everything is there. Decisions are made on a very slow basis so 128 KHz on the clock is not a problem.

Any takers? C would be best for supportability going forward.

Tks,
Bill

I've got a quick project that might best be served by an ATTiny. I've got no desire to get up to speed on Atmel tools so I thought I would troll for one of my fellow forum peeps that is already up to speed. Please let me know your thoughts.

Application
Ditching the engine driven hydraulic pump on the Garrett TFE731-3 when installing it in an L39 Albatros. I would like to do an electric pump pack but really do not like the available aircraft options.

Soooooo, I am going to do a RC Brushless out runner motor in the 3.5 KW range and drive the ESC with a micro. The micro needs to look at hydraulic accumulator pressure (0-5 v) and direct the ESC to all on or all off (with some hysteresis). The ATTiny draws about .2 ma using the on board 128 KHz osc so I can use the ESC's BEC even when the input voltage is 28 Vdc. The tiny also has a watchdog and brown out along with PWM out and A/D in (or comparator) so everything is there. Decisions are made on a very slow basis so 128 KHz on the clock is not a problem.

Any takers? C would be best for supportability going forward.

Tks,
Bill

I figure you've already working through the annual inspection side of things. Out of curiosity, is the Albatros flying under an experimental exhibition special airworthiness certificate? I was looking into getting a pilot's license and doing a self build Van's, but too many other projects ;-).

Are you spinning the ATTiny PCB yourself?

mongo
All the L39s are flying under Experimental Exhibition.

The pump pack is done and works a charm.
Motor is the "80cc" sized Turnigy brushless
Turnigy RotoMax 80cc Size Brushless Outrunner Motor (195kv)
Speed Controller is a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 200
and the very best part
The controller that takes the pressure transducer output and does all the ESC control is Pololu programmable controller. I scoffed at a script language being a big fan of C but boy I was wrong. These boards are super easy to work with.
Pololu - Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller (Assembled)

mongo
All the L39s are flying under Experimental Exhibition.

The pump pack is done and works a charm.
Motor is the "80cc" sized Turnigy brushless
Turnigy RotoMax 80cc Size Brushless Outrunner Motor (195kv)
Speed Controller is a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 200
and the very best part
The controller that takes the pressure transducer output and does all the ESC control is Pololu programmable controller. I scoffed at a script language being a big fan of C but boy I was wrong. These boards are super easy to work with.
Pololu - Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller (Assembled)

Oh, that is a nice module! It sounds like with its feature set you are good to go then? If you need any further electrical or software help, feel free to ping me.