Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any MY Performance owner experience switching to 19 inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
Tesla offering no tire options for MY Performance puts those of us who want performance acceleration but not large low profile wheels/tires in a bind. Has anyone with MY P switched to 19 inch wheels? If so can you share your decision and experience with doing so? Thanks.

If your daily drives is more than 60%+ on highway then I don’t think going 19 or 20” will help much with range.
The opposite is true. On the highway, the smaller wheels will result in more range.

I made this graph based on the three term dynamometer set coefficients provided by Tesla in the Model Y EPA application. Road load is the force needed to maintain the vehicle at a constant speed. A high road load will result in lower range. The differences between the lines are attributable to the wheel and tire combination. The 21's are always higher, and get worse with increasing speed. The 20's are worse than 19's above 45 mph.

This data isn’t applicable when speeds are changing frequently, such as in town. In those conditions, the lower inertia smaller wheels will use less energy and result in more range than would be inferred by this graph.

D8ABwWZ.png

Last edited:
Finally some data!

Assuming the vertical axis is lbs, not lbf...

The 21 takes 18 lbs more force to maintain 70 MPH.

70 MPH = 102 f/s. 102 f/s * 18 lbs = 1836 lb-ft/s = 3.3 HP = 2458 watts = ~35 Wh/m.

Finally some data!

Assuming the vertical axis is lbs, not lbf...

The 21 takes 18 lbs more force to maintain 70 MPH.

70 MPH = 102 f/s. 102 f/s * 18 lbs = 1836 lb-ft/s = 3.3 HP = 2458 watts = ~35 Wh/m.
I also plotted the data as a percentage, but started another thread to not distract this one.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Basically, each wheel upgrade reduces highway range by 7%.