Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any negative setting HPWC Gen 2 Dip Switch #2 to J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have three Gen2 HPWCs load sharing at my house off a 100Amp circuit. Everything works great.

Also just bought a new Audi e-tron. Bought a Teslatap. E-tron charges fine but at the end of the charge it is constantly switching the HPWC off/on (you can hear the loud relay clicking on/off every few seconds...

Did a quick google search and put my HPWC's into legacy mode (Dip switch #2). Everything now works perfect with the e-tron.

I also connected both my tesla's and the HPWC's load share across all three cars without issue. I notice no difference as to when the HPWC was set to regular mode, not legacy.

Is there any negative to my Tesla's by running my HPWCs in legacy mode or am I overthinking this? Thanks

No. My understanding is that all that switch setting does is change the default signalling code for the handshake and charging control to whatever signals are used by J1772. Your Teslas can use that signalling standard just fine.

I'm not aware of any issues about this, but it might (though I doubt it) affect the Teslas ability to use some of the more advanced charging settings like scheduled start/stop times or any further advanced options Tesla eventually rolls out. But my guess is that the most it would affect such things is by adding a minor delay in response times if the car is programmed to try using the Tesla signalling first before attempting the J1772 signalling. And that would only happen if the HPWC can't "listen" for Tesla signalling with that switch setting.

Reactions: Rocky_H