Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any new info about the California Sales Tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but the one in South America was named after the one in Washington, which was in turn named after some forceful Greek women. Isn't that right?:confused:
This woman?

latest

There has been a few conversations here and there about the legislation proposed to exclude out-of-state car sales from the California Sales Tax.

Has anyone heard of recent developments with this? All I can find online is links to a couple forum threads from last year, and that the proposed legislation died.

Would love to pickup my Model 3 at the factory but only if I won't get double charged on sales tax. Maybe if we get a big enough conversation going we can write a letter to someone to try and get this going again.

Thanks.

This may have been covered by someone, but when I contacted my local Tesla store I was told that I am buying the car ONLINE and the taxes I pay are from the Zip Code that I am purchasing the car/residence. When you buy an ice chest or anything from a store outside your state, you are never charged the companies state's sales tax. You are charged the sales tax of the state you are ordering from. Don't see how or why California would charge anyone anything for wanting to pick up a purchase they made online from the company they bought it from in California.

Just my two cents worth. If anyone knows anything different....feel free.

• Disagree
Reactions: MattMatt
You are charged sales tax where title transfers. If you order in Arizona, and you receive the car in Arizona, you will pay Arizona sales tax at the appropriate rate.

If you order in Arizona, live in Arizona, and pick your car up in California, you will pay the California statewide rate, but not the local rates. You will then register your vehicle when you get home and pay any difference in "use tax" to your home state of Arizona. If the Arizona rate is less than what you paid in California, you pay nothing more to Arizona.

Internet sales are tricky these days. If your online purchase is from a company that has no nexus in your state, generally they will not assess your state's sales tax. You, however, must pay use tax to the proper agency. (I have yet to see taxpayers voluntarily pay use tax on out-of-state purchases.) If the online purchase is effected somewhere else.

California sales tax is the worst. Tesla would do everyone a favor if they moved the factory to a state like Texas or the Deep South. Would stimulate a poorer part of the nation. It would also help in their efforts resisting unionization since local and state governments are extremely hostile towards them.
Texas or the Deep South? You've got to be joking!
There's a reson most innovation & arts are developed in CA.

Texas or the Deep South? You've got to be joking!
There's a reson most innovation & arts are developed in CA.

There's also a reason why most US domestic vehicle production is done in the Deep South, with some exceptions like Indiana. In addition, some production outfits were threatening to move to places outside CA, who were offering better deals than what LA was.

There's also a reason why most US domestic vehicle production is done in the Deep South, with some exceptions like Indiana. In addition, some production outfits were threatening to move to places outside CA, who were offering better deals than what LA was.
There's no mystery behind that. Producing anything outside of CA is much cheaper since the cost of living is much cheaper. Think of a company like Apple. They do all the design in CA but everything is assembled in China.

California sales tax is the worst. Tesla would do everyone a favor if they moved the factory to a state like Texas or the Deep South. Would stimulate a poorer part of the nation. It would also help in their efforts resisting unionization since local and state governments are extremely hostile towards them.
Funny how some don't connect the "poorer" and "hostility to unions".

If lower taxes was all that was needed to attract industries (and the talent they need) - Kansas should have been thriving now - after all the tax cuts. Turns out people like me don't want to live in areas where they teach kids creationism rather than evolution (apart from widespread racism).

If the sole idea is to reduce cost - why not move further down and manufacture in Mexico ?

It is no secret that California loves tax revenue. It levies almost 15% income tax, which is just about the highest in the nation. So called sunshine tax.

It is no wonder that folks are leaving in droves.

Yup, more confirmation of the devastating loss of population here. Turns out California added 82,600 jobs in July, more than any other state...

11 US states added jobs in July

Must all be at the U-Haul locations on a hiring binge to assist everyone leaving due to the lack of jobs, eh Reeler? :D

RT

Funny how some don't connect the "poorer" and "hostility to unions".

If lower taxes was all that was needed to attract industries (and the talent they need) - Kansas should have been thriving now - after all the tax cuts. Turns out people like me don't want to live in areas where they teach kids creationism rather than evolution (apart from widespread racism).

If the sole idea is to reduce cost - why not move further down and manufacture in Mexico ?

Because moving down to Mexico would get Tesla lambasted by right-wing media for several news cycles and put Tesla and Musk right in the crosshairs of the POTUS's Twitter fingers with hollow threats of tariffs. Not to mention increased motivation to dump FUD and attack ads on the company.

Yup, more confirmation of the devastating loss of population here. Turns out California added 82,600 jobs in July, more than any other state...

11 US states added jobs in July

Must all be at the U-Haul locations on a hiring binge to assist everyone leaving due to the lack of jobs, eh Reeler? :D

RT

Remember the population of CA when you consider that growth number you quote. As a percent of population, those numbers don't look so good compared with those tiny states with big growth numbers.

I get it, your high school is better than my high school.

The topic is CA charging their high sales tax to those registering out of state in the first instance. Any Californian want to defend the lack of a bill to conform CA to the practice in other car manufacturing jurisdictions?

The topic is CA charging their high sales tax to those registering out of state in the first instance. Any Californian want to defend the lack of a bill to conform CA to the practice in other car manufacturing jurisdictions?
You mean the "other car manufacturing jurisdictions" that do not have progressive health care, environmental, job growth, gun control, and social program policies? Yeah, I'll defend California. You always have the option of taking delivery of your car in your State.

Not quite. In fact, California sales tax law comports with other state sales laws. You are taxed (generally) where you receive delivery or where the manufacturer has nexus.

The topic is picking up your car in California, and not paying California sales tax just bcos you plan to drive it out of state. That would be no different than you shopping in a clothing store in San Francisco and then saying that you are not subject to sales tax bcos you plan to drive the jeans to Nevada before you use them.

When you buy an ice chest or anything from a store outside your state, you are never charged the companies state's sales tax. You are charged the sales tax of the state you are ordering from. Don't see how or why California would charge anyone anything for wanting to pick up a purchase they made online from the company they bought it from in California.
If you purchase an ice chest online from a company in California and it is shipped to Arizona, you will pay Arizona State tax. If you purchase an ice chest online from a company in California and you pick it up in California you will pay California State tax. It is no difference for cars.

If you purchase an ice chest online from a company in California and it is shipped to Arizona, you will pay Arizona State tax. If you purchase an ice chest online from a company in California and you pick it up in California you will pay California State tax. It is no difference for cars.
Wrong. It is different for cars, at least in most states. Most states do not charge sales tax just for taking delivery in their state, but only if you are registering the car in their state. California and Massachusetts are the only states that I know of that charge sales tax for the privilege of taking delivery in their state, regardless of the ultimate state of registration. That's the issue being discussed here.

If an AZ resident buys a car in NM and registers it in AZ, no tax is paid to NM. Tax is paid to AZ at registration (assuming the seller doesn't have a license to collect AZ tax at purchase). If an AZ resident buys a car in CA, they always pay CA tax. Upon registration in AZ, they should get a credit for the tax already paid to CA, but the buyer still winds up paying more tax overall due to CA's higher tax rate.

Reactions: Reeler
Wrong. It is different for cars, at least in most states. Most states do not charge sales tax just for taking delivery in their state, but only if you are registering the car in their state. California and Massachusetts are the only states that I know of that charge sales tax for the privilege of taking delivery in their state, regardless of the ultimate state of registration. That's the issue being discussed here.
Uhhh, we are talking about California here, not Massachusetts, not New Mexico. In California, it is no different for cars. If you buy anything online from a vendor in California and pick it up in California you will pay California Use Tax regardless what the product is. I am okay with that and I can defend that.

If an AZ resident buys a car in NM and registers it in AZ, no tax is paid to NM. Tax is paid to AZ at registration (assuming the seller doesn't have a license to collect AZ tax at purchase). If an AZ resident buys a car in CA, they always pay CA tax. Upon registration in AZ, they should get a credit for the tax already paid to CA, but the buyer still winds up paying more tax overall due to CA's higher tax rate.
If you pick a car up in California and drive it in California, it must be registered in California from minute one. That seems like a perfectly reasonable and logical expectation. I am okay with that and I can defend that.

Again, if you don't want to pay California Use Tax, simply take delivery in your home State.