Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any new July 2016 owners seeing added Auto-Pilot hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Model X is currently in production and due around August 10th. I'm curious if there are any owners out there who have taken delivery in July 2016 and if you've been able to see if there is any visible signs of added AutoPilot hardware (such as a second radar or additional cameras)? It'd be neat to see if Tesla is quietly adding any new hardware ahead of the roll out of AutoPilot 2.0 software (which is not anticipated for a year or more). I'm new here; thanks for any feedback on what new owners are seeing...

I wish at least the second camera will be available soon. Other hardware seem to be not so much in distant future in my opinion based on the MobileEye decommitment and the comments from both MobileEye and Elon Musk about continue to do software improvements.

I'm curious if there are any owners out there who have taken delivery in July 2016 and if you've been able to see if there is any visible signs of added AutoPilot hardware (such as a second radar or additional cameras)?

I don't think you need to ask this question since once the vehicles with additional cameras/hardware start to roll off the line, this forum will be buzzing. If there's nothing here, there's likely nothing new on the vehicles.

I'm hoping to get feedback specifically from new Model X owners who received their car in the past 30 days. They will be the best suited to tell us what they are seeing on the latest cars coming off of the assembly line.

Why only new Model X owners and not new Model S owners? I doubt the X will get new hardware without the S as well. This seems to accord with Tesla’s Director of Autopilot Programs, Sterling Anderson, who said:

Our vehicles will receive the latest technologies as soon as we have it, we won’t wait for a new model to release new technology. We fundamentally choose to eschew the concept of model years... we will not hold any technology for Model 3 that we will not have released already when it is ready on our other models.

I appreciate the responses. I'm hoping to get feedback specifically from new Model X owners who received their car in the past 30 days. They will be the best suited to tell us what they are seeing on the latest cars coming off of the assembly line.

Got mine three weeks ago. I suspect you won't see hardware changes for another 4-6 months and likely on the S first. Most suspect the most likely next step would be an addition of another camera in the now empty housing.

Most suspect the most likely next step would be an addition of another camera in the now empty housing.

I thought most suspected there will be three cameras...

original.jpg

How do we know that? Just because they parted with MobileEye doesn't mean they won't be building on what they developed in partnership with MobileEye.

I *thought* I had read somewhere that they were going with Bosch's two-camera setup instead. But I can't find the reference and it was probably just speculation anyway so I guess I don't have a good answer for you :)

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck