Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news about costing by kWh instead of by time to supercharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Costs will not likely go down.
This will possibly have the negative side effect of letting people stick around and charge to 100% more, since they're no longer paying per minute - it will be more beneficial for slower charging unfortunately.
While costs may not change, there will be LESS incentive to charge slowly, since if you charge by the kw, it’s in a chargers best interests to go as quickly as possible to get more customers charging. Only when you charge by the minute does it make sense to charge at slower rates, since you want customers charging for longer periods of time.

Reactions: richyrich
...but no worse than in the USA where billing it already per kWh, I would assume.
I've travled to the US in my M3 and i love the per kWh pricing model, the chargers were never overbooked or over used once and i didnt feel like i was overpaying when charging beyond 80% as your paying for the power and not time.

Oveall though - after i factored in exchange rate on my charges, my supercharging for Canadian road trips was cheaper even with time based :)

Cost per kWh in the USA after exchange averaged $0.52/kWh (Minnesota)
Cost per kWh in Canada averaged: $0.47/kWh (Ontario)

Now if exchange rate wasn't so bad it would be better in the USA but honestly i would rather pay the per kWh model as it doesn't mentally feel like i'm overpaying when i want to charge high. The reason for this is that i can calculate out my cost easily and can predict my cost vs not know what speed im charging at a minute by minute calculation

I'm charging overnight for 2 nights using mobile connector @ home, then driving for a week~ at a time. Better on battery and costs 0.10/KWh.
Supercharged first 2 weeks and decided wasn't worth it. Ordered my M3LR'22 1st week of April so didn't have to pay for the connector either.

Also thought about cost for a dryer plug or NEMA 14-50 outlet and at $1200, not worth it for me either since I'm renting and that cost means I'm paying closer to gas prices again for the first year.

Edit:

Also - I've noticed battery drain is higher at faster speeds. So highway driving + supercharging go hand in hand for long distances going 100-120km/h.
If you're just driving in the city, hard to drain your battery honestly. Mobile Connector FTW!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I'm charging overnight for 2 nights using mobile connector @ home, then driving for a week~ at a time. Better on battery and costs 0.10/KWh.
Supercharged first 2 weeks and decided wasn't worth it. Ordered my M3LR'22 1st week of April so didn't have to pay for the connector either.
Supercharging is made for trips, I wouldn't buy a EV if i had to rely on a supercharger to get my power weekly. The savings is much more appealing when home charging. Like you said i pay $0.096/kWh at home vs ~ $0.47/kWh on superchargers. -- Still cheaper than gas.

This is what I paid last time: :mad:
1ACFB05C-587C-4918-8198-D897DA704BC3.jpeg

This is good for slower charging cars. Not good for fast charging cars. We get over 200KWH average at EC on the EV6 for .57 per minute (under 20 minutes for over 60KWH of electricity). This will be a big increase at KWH pricing. Might be close at Tesla superchargers as the tier rates are very high now.

This is what I paid last time: :mad:
View attachment 910633
Wow, that's quite high at over $1 per kWh! How long was the session?

Did a back and forth Ottawa-Toronto last weekend.

Friday (avg -10C)
$13.85 31.41 kWh 22 min
$12.19 26.49 kWh 28 min

Sunday (avg 0C)
$16.16 33.48 kWh 28 min
$12.25 27.83 kWh 27 min
$9.76 22.66 kWh 16 min

Added 141.87 kWh using Superchargers. My cost was $64.21. That's $0.45 per kWh. By time, it averaged at $0.53 per minute. Let see how much it will cost me when per kWh is implemented on Superchargers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Seen some reports on twitter that this may be going live tonight. Sounds like it could be coupled with a price increase though. Apparently if you select a supercharger location in car belowThe current rates it says price change at midnight tonight so I guess we’ll see later on.