Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news about costing by kWh instead of by time to supercharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Went for my first long trip and at one station, it charged at 63 kWh so barely Tier 2 while charged for full Tier 2 time :-<

• Funny
Reactions: lowercase
I couldn't find anything more recent when I wrote this a few days ago:

I couldn't find anything more recent when I wrote this a few days ago:
And yet, my house is charged by the kWh. Shouldn't be hard to figure out how to do it for cars too. Unless someone doesn't want you to, hmm....

And yet, my house is charged by the kWh. Shouldn't be hard to figure out how to do it for cars too. Unless someone doesn't want you to, hmm....

Down here in the mid country it varies by state. Some require EV stations to sell by time and others allow selling by kWh. It depends on their regulations for operating as an electricity utility provider. I'm quite certain there are some really good reasons to not allow any joe schmoe to operate as a utility. In particular it could allow property owners to dramatically jack up the cost of electricity for their renters, and likely be an unreliable power source (TEXAS!). But It seems like there could be provisions for short term use scenarios such as sub-hour EV charging. Or I guess for L2 it would need to be sub-24-hour sessions.

They’re called Standards Canada, and they decreed that only power utilities can bill per unit of power; everyone else must use units of time.
Ok, that makes sense
Musk isn’t the only one. There’s several other groups (mostly EV) lobbying for this to change as well. Since it’s government, it takes generations to get anything done. 😑
Hopefully enough pressure will be put for things to happen sooner than later...

Well, Measurements Canada has stated they are looking to transition to kWh billing for EVs.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Celus
Well, Measurements Canada has stated they are looking to transition to kWh billing for EVs.

They’ve SAID it. Our people still aren’t seeing too much actual movement yet. Hopefully sooner than later, but as yet there’s nothing to report.

They declined Tesla getting temporary access before the full review is finished... which will most likely allow this, just not yet. It's fair. But sadly we'll just have to wait the slow pace of government to get this approved eventually.

And I hope NO ONE thinks that this will reduce costs for charging. Because it won't. The recent price changes have nothing to do with per-minute billing, it's all about Tesla increasing their rates for energy overall... that's why they're charging more for the higher-power ratings.

They declined Tesla getting temporary access before the full review is finished... which will most likely allow this, just not yet. It's fair. But sadly we'll just have to wait the slow pace of government to get this approved eventually.

And I hope NO ONE thinks that this will reduce costs for charging. Because it won't. The recent price changes have nothing to do with per-minute billing, it's all about Tesla increasing their rates for energy overall... that's why they're charging more for the higher-power ratings.

And when Tesla opens up SC and slow charging cars such as Toyota BZ4X and Bolt are taking forever to be charged, we will all wish Tesla bring back time-based billing. There is no disincentive for these slow cars to move if billing is not time-based.

I'd like to see another jurisdiction where that's actually an issue.
You're in Calgary too... I see probably 10-20 Teslas before I see any other EV. This won't be a problem for a long time, if ever. There are more DCFC stations than Tesla SC stations, so there's no incentive for a Bolt, etc. to charge at a Tesla SC.

I guarantee you that EV charge station operators will charge more per-unit of energy the higher power rates that they provide, so it will further incentivize those slower-charging vehicles to charge elsewhere. Tesla already has the most expensive DC charging rates. Not sure if you're on TOCA's FB page, but this image was shared a few times, which shows exactly what is happening and what will likely continue to happen.
Looks like Tesla will be charging in the $0.40 - $0.50/kWh rate eventually.
280564636_10228899292532267_3216192807263822074_n.jpg

just saw people tweeting about this. Any chance the cost actually comes down though? I think right now supercharging can be like 2x-5x more than other DC fast charger?