Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news about the CCS adapter for S and X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you "helicopter" and take lots of pictures? ;) (I'm curious as to what hardware they are replacing/adding.)

+1. Most probably they're adding/replacing the comm. module inside the charger to be able to interpret PLC signals. That wasn't the case witrh chademo as both supercharger and chademo use canbus but Europe made it more difficult (IDK why that was necessary) and are sending their data through plc. It is good that we can stil use chademo + ccs on the same car though. I wish they had cut us some slack and sold it to salvage owners or people who want to retrofit themselves.

Tesla is currently installing the adapter in my car. It was the first adapter this technician ever installed, so I cut him some slack. He said it would take about an hour.

He told me that additional software was required which he pushed to the car this morning. Then he needs to install additional hardware under the backseat next to the charger. This is probably the hardware which talks CCS.

And then there is the adapter itself. That's all.

Tesla is currently installing the adapter in my car. It was the first adapter this technician ever installed, so I cut him some slack. He said it would take about an hour.

He told me that additional software was required which he pushed to the car this morning. Then he needs to install additional hardware under the backseat next to the charger. This is probably the hardware which talks CCS.

And then there is the adapter itself. That's all.

I'd heard the hardware is largely just a comms module. They say the MX takes quite a bit longer to do than the MS, I guess its gaining access to where the hardware needs to be located is what takes the additional time. .

I am charging on a Fastned 350kW charger at the moment with the CCS adapter. I’ve reached a stable 135kW around 27% SoC. it is still maintaining this at 42% SoC.

I have a Model S100D from June 2018.

4698A8AC-DAB1-4674-B7DA-262BEFE3487B.jpeg A6F13DC3-8CD3-4DCA-A617-3A5E1C043527.jpeg 67D6D00A-D31D-4E9B-9672-FA4B813248BB.jpeg

Last edited:
This morning I charged 26kWh at a Fastned 175kW charger within 12 minutes. 26kWh * (60/12) = 130kW

I started to charge at ~22% SoC and charged up to ~50% SoC. At that moment it was still charging with 124kW, so faster than a SuperCharger.

The maximum I saw was 366A and it kept hovering around that number. As the voltage increased it resulted in a peak of 136kW.

have you managed to charge at any polar or ecotricity chargers with the CCS adapter? I've tried a couple now without success. I submitted a service comment on the Tesla website but obviously no reply (yet).

I tried to make a service appointment in the Vienna, Austria service center once in late May and again in late June. I was told both times that they don't yet do retrofitting. Very disappointing. I'll try again at the end of this month.
On the Tesla Owner's Group UK facebook group at least one MS owner has reported having the CCS adaptor retrofit this month (July) but I am not sure if there is some issue yet to be resolved for MX cars.

I tried to make a service appointment in the Vienna, Austria service center once in late May and again in late June. I was told both times that they don't yet do retrofitting. Very disappointing. I'll try again at the end of this month.

I reached out to my service center in Switzerland on July 1st. They will order the adapter, but there’s a delay on parts (presumably the module which needs to be installed).

Bit of detail on the install.
When they called I was told it would take 1.5 hours. When I got there they said it would take 2.5. A half hour goes by I was told that it would take 4 hours due to lunch break. I asked and was given a loaner. We came back after 4 hours and the car wasn’t ready. They said they had trouble pushing software.
In the end it took 8 hours. Expect the unexpected.