Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received an email from the local SC that my car is eligible for the upgrade. vin 1889XX mfgd in Mar 2017. I stopped in to the SC and asked them to investigate and got the response about 3 hours later.

Now I need to schedule a time. I understand it is about a 2 hour job and it has to be at the SC. (My SC is Palo Alto)

Wow this is really promising news for us 90D owners.

If they can uncork a 100D built 2/17 and they can uncork a 90D built 9/17, then it would seem that a 90D built 2/17 can also be uncorked....

@vthomas Could you share your 90D Powertools logs with @Krash so he can add them to his collection here: Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

I really want this to be true for my 2/2017 S90D I’m gonna ask my Service Center too.

Just so I know up front what is the best way to know if I have DU00 and the perf setting before I even ask the SC?

Received an email from the local SC that my car is eligible for the upgrade. vin 1889XX mfgd in Mar 2017. I stopped in to the SC and asked them to investigate and got the response about 3 hours later.

Now I need to schedule a time. I understand it is about a 2 hour job and it has to be at the SC. (My SC is Palo Alto)

Anyone know what they are actually doing during hose 2 hours? Is this a software update or does his require a HW change?

I contacted Tesla regarding my April 2017 90D and this is the response I got.
"Thank you for contacting Tesla.Unfortunately, your Tesla is not eligible for uncorking. Uncorking is available for certain Tesla 75D and 100D models. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

Wow this is really promising news for us 90D owners.

If they can uncork a 100D built 2/17 and they can uncork a 90D built 9/17, then it would seem that a 90D built 2/17 can also be uncorked....

@vthomas Could you share your 90D Powertools logs with @Krash so he can add them to his collection here: Upgraded performance Metrics Summary
Just to clarify, the escalation reply I received states “The performance upgrade is only available for 75D and 100D vehicles, but currently I see that your vehicle is uncorked for the maximum performance available.” So FWIW, I’m uncorked for maximum performance...

I contacted Tesla regarding my April 2017 90D and this is the response I got.
"Thank you for contacting Tesla.Unfortunately, your Tesla is not eligible for uncorking. Uncorking is available for certain Tesla 75D and 100D models. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

That’s what they said back in June about the 75D’s, now look what happened. I’m sure at some point 90’s will be thrown in the mix.

Glad people are so worked up about uncorking cars. Using escalation procedures, stopping by service centers, making up issues to schedule appointments.

At the same time, people are complaining about not being able to get appointments to get real issues fixed.

I'm sorry, but adding 50-100HP to a vehicle's performance by removing a previously-placed software limit is a big deal. In the ICE world it's $3-5k for a tune that adds 5-10% performance.

It's not our problem that Tesla did not make uncorking an OTA procedure, I fail to see how this is any less legitimate of a reason to visit the service center than any other.

Plus, so much of this complexity is directly due to service centers and Escalation providing conflicting different answers requiring multiple visits and attempts to get the correct answer.

I'm sorry, but adding 50-100HP to a vehicle's performance by removing a previously-placed software limit is a big deal. In the ICE world it's $3-5k for a tune that adds 5-10% performance.

It's not our problem that Tesla did not make uncorking an OTA procedure, I fail to see how this is any less legitimate of a reason to visit the service center than any other.

Thank you for adding a reply in addition to the disagree.

I do agree that adding the power is a big deal, and people in ICE world would pay big money.

I don't agree that it is "artificial", or at least any more so that the limitations in programming on an ICE car or sizing the carb. My diesel can be "chipped" to gain huge performance. But it also has reliability issues. There is always going to be a bottleneck. In an EV, it just happens to be programmed in. What happens if cars start destroying half shafts now? They now have time on their side and real data on reliability.

A long time ago, I redid the motor in an old ford. Huge increase in performance, until I broke the output shaft and shattered the transmission case.

Anyway, back to my thought... Yes, it is a big deal. Yes, ICE folks would pay big money. Tesla made the decision not to charge. I personally feel that if people are pains in the (you know what) about it, they will never ever do anything like it again.

Reactions: chillaban
Anyone in the Northeast US have any luck uncorking their 100D? I have a June 2017 build, and when I called the local Dedham and Watertown, MA service centers, they had no idea about 100D uncorking, and said it was only for 75D.

The are lots of limits on the vehicles, including voltage limits, thermal limits, heat dissipation limits, current saturation limits, etc. especially including performance limits on various components used throughout the power chain. The power chain was designed with a given performance goal, and components were individually selected that support that goal, with the assurance that each component either meets or exceeds the requirements upon it. The supply chain may have mixed equivalent components from different manufacturers, some of which met its requirements and others exceeding them. Later, when one wishes to change the performance goal with the existing components, one must carefully determine whether each component can support the higher goal. This requires careful testing and proving before unleashing the change.

I am kind of distressed at the way that many people on these forums tend to fall into an anti-corporate conspiracy mentality that Tesla is not acting in good faith and deliberately withholding performance arbitrarily from certain classes of owners. The are very good engineering reasons to go carefully and deliberately, and reasons that some cars can support a change of performance and some cannot.

The are lots of limits on the vehicles...
Agreed. I am interested in primarily the limits set on identical hardware to differentiate the models. Although the other limits are interesting to know which components have headroom. I suspect it will be a few years before we know if there is more headroom in the new drive unit inverter combination.

Agreed. I am interested in primarily the limits set on identical hardware to differentiate the models. Although the other limits are interesting to know which components have headroom. I suspect it will be a few years before we know if there is more headroom in the new drive unit inverter combination.
I'm sure if we get a Tesla hacker like WK507 or Ingineer to tinker with a new 100D we'd know. I was doing some research today and the original P85D with a 0-60 of 3.1s output a maximum of 412kW at 85% SOC. I have recorded my 100D in excess of 428kW at 99%soc, theoretically making it more powerful than an original P85D. The ramp up for acceleration is very different, though, Tesla is holding back initial acceleration values until up to ~35mph, whereas this maximum power was achieved in the P85D early on, something like within the first second. Maximum power at speed is still more than the P85D, and passing speeds are superior. Ludicrous upgrade is a different story, though