Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a follow-up, they uncorked my X100D over the air, the config change+reboot took all of 5 minutes and then a firmware update that actually took 2 tries since first one failed.

Did not try it yet since I am still waiting for the ranger to come and do the other scheduled stuff.

How could the 75 battery not be overtaxed compared to the 90 ?
I don't know, but 90 kWh batteries are the most taxed it appears, they degrade the fastest and have some internal temperature imbalances it seems. also they are no longer made, but 75 batteries underwent a revision sometime this summer (I think?) and newer batteries are not as overtaxed anymore it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I don't know, but 90 kWh batteries are the most taxed it appears, they degrade the fastest and have some internal temperature imbalances it seems. also they are no longer made, but 75 batteries underwent a revision sometime this summer (I think?) and newer batteries are not as overtaxed anymore it seems.
I've said this across every forum about this, but the 85D was uncorked in April 2015 with a software update adding sport mode. It reduced the 0-60 from 5.2 to 4.2. About a month later, Tesla sent out another update removing sport mode making the 4.2s standard. The 90kwh battery is essentially the same pack as the 85 but with some cell chemistry differences. The 100D seems the same, but it has more cells per module which means more usable amps. Bottom line is 85D/90D vehicles have already been pushed to their limits

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I've said this across every forum about this, but the 85D was uncorked in April 2015 with a software update adding sport mode. It reduced the 0-60 from 5.2 to 4.2. About a month later, Tesla sent out another update removing sport mode making the 4.2s standard. The 90kwh battery is essentially the same pack as the 85 but with some cell chemistry differences. The 100D seems the same, but it has more cells per module which means more usable amps. Bottom line is 85D/90D vehicles have already been pushed to their limits
You are not exactly correct.
First, 85D could be further uncorked with current approach, but it would blow the fuse unless you already have a bigger one (in new packs the fuse is a soft-fuse so you can adjust the tripping point).

The chemistry and layout changes in 90 kWh packs made them super unstable, with terrible degradation. See here for some data: Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)
For whatever reason 100 packs are almost as stable as 85 packs from before.

First, 85D could be further uncorked with current approach, but it would blow the fuse unless you already have a bigger one (in new packs the fuse is a soft-fuse so you can adjust the tripping point).

The chemistry and layout changes in 90 kWh packs made them super unstable, with terrible degradation. See here for some data: Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

Guys I respectfully disagree with your assertions that the 90D cannot be uncorked.

@Chasedrgc1223 you stated that it's because the motors are already maxed out, but here we have verygreen with the same motor configuration in his early 2017 production ModelX getting an uncork. And there was another forum member with a February 2017 build Model S 100D who had it uncorked... So there are a few data points that show that the old motors had a little bit more left in them.

@verygreen you assert it's because the 90KWh packs are less stable. But there's the P90D which hits 100KW higher power levels using the same battery. Even the P85D could hit 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I just ordered an inventory 100D. I'm taking delivery in two weeks. I just fired off an email to my SC and asked if it could be delivered to me 'uncorked'.

I just went through this thread and, of course, there is lots of talk about the 0-60 time, but I didn't see anyone post their 1/4 mile times with the 100D 'uncorked'.

Anyone have any real world numbers? I pulled 12.7 quarter mile in my old school 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport at the drag strip earlier this year and it was a complete blast. It might be fun to take my 100D to the track some time as well.

Thanks,

John

Ok found ... perf_config =1

So uncorked!

I have a 100D MS with Vin 197xxx. Delivery was in late May.

I had asked my service advisor a month ago (via email) if my car could be uncorked and I was told no.

Today I checked the info on Teslafi and it shows [perf_config] => P1 never looked at that data before... Wish I had to see if it changed

So do you all think they did uncork my 100D?

P1 = uncorked so yes.

On 100D, Perf_Config being P1 does not automatically mean uncorked as Perf_Config is one of two indicators determining if the car can be uncorked. It is possible to have P1 on a corked 100D car.

When I say the 85D has reached its limits I say so in Tesla's eyes due to the battery instability but also (mainly) just to differentiate the lineup. The motors are the same throughout the non performance D lineup so it's not that which is limited. I think in terms of marketing and Tesla as a brand the 90D is not going to get uncorked. One thing to remember is the 90D is really an 85D. It has the same number of cells per module and even weighs the same apparently. The difference, however, lies in the general chemistry of the cells with the anode being made of something different. From what I heard, this change in chemistry was what led to the instability. Looking at the 100D battery we can see more cells per module and a different cooling configuration which I belive contributes to the significant boost in high speed acceleration among 100D models. My point is, if we consider the 90D to have already been uncorked (85D already got uncorked in 2015), then I don't think it's likely Tesla will do a second round of uncorking.

Guys I respectfully disagree with your assertions that the 90D cannot be uncorked.

@verygreen you assert it's because the 90KWh packs are less stable. But there's the P90D which hits 100KW higher power levels using the same battery. Even the P85D could hit 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I am not saying 90D could not be uncorked in theory. I am saying that it's unlikely Tesla would endorse such uncorks due to battery problems and whatever other considerations.
After all 85D could be uncorked "unofficially", but Tesla would not endorse it either.

My point is, if we consider the 90D to have already been uncorked (85D already got uncorked in 2015), then I don't think it's likely Tesla will do a second round of uncorking.
I agree that 90Ds likely could be uncorked, but I don't think Tesla would allow it.
Also for whatever reason when we tried it, it did not work too.

As a follow-up, they uncorked my X100D over the air, the config change+reboot took all of 5 minutes and then a firmware update that actually took 2 tries since first one failed.
I picked up a 100D X today and was trying to make sure it was uncorked. I thought it required a Service Center visit but have not been following all this closely because I was thinking of a new 100D in the spring. This loaner came available.

Anyway ... the service tech manager came out to tell me there is no uncorking config type option on the 100s like the 75s that do require visiting the service centers. He stated like you that it is OTA only. Appreciated your verification/confirmation.

...I didn't see anyone post their 1/4 mile times with the 100D 'uncorked'...Anyone have any real world numbers? I pulled 12.7 quarter mile in my old school 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport at the drag strip earlier this year...
We have uncorked S 100 quarter mile runlogs but not corked and not any X 100 runlogs in the performance metrics. Any chance you kept one from your roadster? I have one that I haven't posted yet.

Last edited:
service tech manager came out to tell me there is no uncorking config type option on the 100s like the 75s that do require visiting the service centers
nah, process is pretty much identical between 75D and 100D. I guess they did not expect to get a wave of customer visits overloading SCs clamoring for uncorks (hoping to deliver uncorking while doing other scheduled work as a nice gift?) so for 100Ds they decided to ease the load on the service centers.