Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite, but the model 3 isn’t the only Tesla in the UK...

Hard to imagine Tesla without the 3 these days :).

No I don't think MCU2 upgrades have started here yet.

US owners are been invited for AP2->AP3 upgrades WITHOUT MCU2 now. So hopefully it's a sign Tesla have access to enough AP3 and MCU2 processors to start world wide push soon.

That's me. My mcu just died so I was going to buy mcu2 instead of having to pay twice. I might just have to live without mcu for a few months
Ouch! My out of warranty MCU1 <touch wood> is still going but I've been researching what the consequences/options are if/when it fails.

As I have AP1 I've concluded that upgrading to MCU2 wouldn't be of much benefit: it's basically an expensive way of accessing a couple of extra games and a slightly more responsive screen, but anecdotally MCU1 + new chip is fine in terms of driving experience. Since I'm out of warranty there's a good argument that proactively getting the chip replaced by a third party is the most cost-effective and least hassle option. The only thing holding me back is the logistics (I don't know anyone local who does chip replacements) and the slim chance that Tesla decide to do a recall.

On the subject of recalls, I gather if the MCU fails completely it can prevent some key driving functions, e.g. fog lights can't be activated and you may or may not lose the indicators (at the very least there won't be any sound when they are flashing). That's on top of charging restrictions, and possibly HVAC (unless the steering wheel can activate it). For the greater good it's worth contacting Tesla and then, assuming they don't offer a free fix, the DVSA to report a safety defect if your MCU1 fails.

Vehicle recalls and faults

Ouch! My out of warranty MCU1 <touch wood> is still going but I've been researching what the consequences/options are if/when it fails.

As I have AP1 I've concluded that upgrading to MCU2 wouldn't be of much benefit: it's basically an expensive way of accessing a couple of extra games and a slightly more responsive screen, but anecdotally MCU1 + new chip is fine in terms of driving experience. Since I'm out of warranty there's a good argument that proactively getting the chip replaced by a third party is the most cost-effective and least hassle option. The only thing holding me back is the logistics (I don't know anyone local who does chip replacements) and the slim chance that Tesla decide to do a recall.

On the subject of recalls, I gather if the MCU fails completely it can prevent some key driving functions, e.g. fog lights can't be activated and you may or may not lose the indicators (at the very least there won't be any sound when they are flashing). That's on top of charging restrictions, and possibly HVAC (unless the steering wheel can activate it). For the greater good it's worth contacting Tesla and then, assuming they don't offer a free fix, the DVSA to report a safety defect if your MCU1 fails.

Thank you for the suggestions. That is really valuable.

When the MCU first failed, most things worked, including the autosteer and TACC. However, when I set it to charge, the A/C stayed on. So I pulled the 12v battery cable for 5 min. Now I am left with:

• No entertainment system obviously and the screen is black (black screen of death)
  • No indicators
  • Flashers still work
  • Headlights stay on all the time while driving
  • Charging is limited to 8A so it is slooowwww
  • No autosteer or TACC
  • A/C is always on while driving, but turns off when the car is off
  • No access to the car via the app
  • The trip meter doesn't work
  • The time on the Instrument Cluster is now 5 mins out from when I disconnected the battery
I can live with it, except for the fact that the indicators don't work so it is not safe for other road users and I hate being such an impolite driver.

I have a call pending with Tesla so let's see what happens.

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc

Good suggestion on reporting the defect of MCU1. I have a similar issue as 4EVar on my 2017 MS. Although my MCU fails intermittently and reboots every 5mins or so even whilst driving but takes quite along time to boot. My car is still under warranty, but Tesla Dartford had a look on Monday and said it was a software issue (which I doubt since it's been occuring for the last 3 software updates). Even though theyve seen issue first hand aswell it's almost as though it's an acceptable/normal behaviour

Good suggestion on reporting the defect of MCU1. I have a similar issue as 4EVar on my 2017 MS. Although my MCU fails intermittently and reboots every 5mins or so even whilst driving but takes quite along time to boot. My car is still under warranty, but Tesla Dartford had a look on Monday and said it was a software issue (which I doubt since it's been occuring for the last 3 software updates). Even though theyve seen issue first hand aswell it's almost as though it's an acceptable/normal behaviour
Please do report it to the DVSA. I did using this link Vehicle recalls and faults

They have been really good and emailed me for more detailed information. They said they are aware of the issue and are investigating it with the manufacturer. So the more people that report it to them, the more likely we are to get it resolved by Tesla as a recall, instead of costing mega-bucks.

I am rather critical of Tesla regarding the eMMC (MCU1) failures.

This is a failure mode that was absolutely predictable and Tesla were warned repeatedly about it but took no action, so it is difficult to have any sympathy for the company in this instance.

The reasonable thing for Tesla to do with MCU1 failures out of warranty is to to replace them as goodwill, but at the very least deduct the cost of the MCU1 replacement from the cost of a subsequent MCU2 upgrade.

My MCU started playing up close to the end of the four year warranty. Rather than wait for it to fail, I had the Emmc chip replaced by Gary at EV-Link 01280830530

I had the same dilemma... wait and hope it failed in the last few days of warranty... unlikely. Wait for the new MCU2 upgrade which would give me not much value over my MCU1/AP1 car anyway. Plus I can't wait on Elon time any more... Pay Tesla (a tidy sum) for the same MCU1 replacement that would give some other poor sod a nightmare in 3-4 years time... no thanks.

Gary was fantastic. He's a Tesla owner, and repairs all kinds of issues on Teslas and is well worth investigating. It took Gary 4 days to recover my data, and more importantly the access keys. He fitted a new 64Gb chip which should give the car another 4-8 years of life since the old (cheap shite) Emmc used by Tesla is only 8Gb

Cost... prices start at £500 if the data comes off cleanly... more if it takes longer to recover (involves multiple read attempts and freezing the Emmc to keep it alive!)

Expensive? Try Tesla's replacement cost at £2k+ !

Last edited:
Tesla can now replace the faulty daughterboard instead of the whole mcu. Cost - .£320 all in.
Nice!! Is there any official links to this anywhere?

My MS 2017 is in for diagnosis of faulty screen, theyve said a few times its software related and are reluctant to admit it's the EMMC.

Funnily enough the loaner MS 2016 they've given me has been upgrade to an MCU2.. talk about rubbing salt in the wounds :confused:

Nice!! Is there any official links to this anywhere?

My MS 2017 is in for diagnosis of faulty screen, theyve said a few times its software related and are reluctant to admit it's the EMMC.

Funnily enough the loaner MS 2016 they've given me has been upgrade to an MCU2.. talk about rubbing salt in the wounds :confused:
Can you post a photo of the Software -> ‘Additional vehicle information‘ screen of the loaner?

Can you post a photo of the Software -> ‘Additional vehicle information‘ screen of the loaner?
IMG_20200903_131634.jpg