Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IDoes this mean UK will get FM and DAB tuner with MCU2? It's definitely technically possible as someone did a DIY upgrade with the tuner module working .

An earlier poster who had an upgraded loan car said DAB was gone which is consistent with the US where they lost their equivalent.

I've seen an article where they suggest its technically feasible to wire up the DAB tuner, but thats connecting the boxes, until you've done it and seen whether the radio appears in the menu and works, you can't be sure. If it was just a simple wiring harness, I can;t understand why Tesla wouldn't just plug it in

An earlier poster who had an upgraded loan car said DAB was gone which is consistent with the US where they lost their equivalent.

I've seen an article where they suggest its technically feasible to wire up the DAB tuner, but thats connecting the boxes, until you've done it and seen whether the radio appears in the menu and works, you can't be sure. If it was just a simple wiring harness, I can;t understand why Tesla wouldn't just plug it in
My appointment isn't for another 4 weeks yet, but they said they'll keep me posted on price etc so I'll keep you updated. I'm just excited that the upgrade option has finally come to the UK. Especially as my mcu1 is very flaky and been in the service centre for a rebuild once already.

I’ve done the MCU2 retrofit on my car and the DAB tuner change is really difficult to do, especially on Model X - Tesla would also need to develop/manufacture a tuner conversion harness and run it through the dash as the existing harness won’t work, so a lot of labour required.

75ACB70F-FB63-4994-BF37-224EB2395024.jpeg 0018FD67-3EB9-47FD-BEAA-29569FA425E4.jpeg 4CED3FC5-1B08-4C24-8073-0960AF7354A4.jpeg 057DB079-7C12-491A-9AD5-44A593F41033.jpeg

I imagine they’ve weighed up the cost/time needed and decided its easier to simply leave the existing incompatible tuner in place and just disable the MCU2 tuner functionality in the car config. I genuinely can’t see our UK retrofits being any different to the US in that regard as you say.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sean.
I’ve done the MCU2 retrofit on my car and the DAB tuner change is really difficult to do, especially on Model X - Tesla would also need to develop/manufacture a tuner conversion harness and run it through the dash as the existing harness won’t work, so a lot of labour required.

View attachment 586389 View attachment 586384 View attachment 586385 View attachment 586387

I imagine they’ve weighed up the cost/time needed and decided its easier to simply leave the existing incompatible tuner in place and just disable the MCU2 tuner functionality in the car config. I genuinely can’t see our UK retrofits being any different to the US in that regard as you say.
Did you do the retrofit yourself?

Cannot you just Buletooth it from your phone? Much cheaper than getting a new car.

much cheaper not buying an MCU2 to be honest. All those who have just had upgraded memory suggest t works much better afterwards so if I do anything I’ll just get the memory board update when it’s available. If I want Netflix I’ll watch that on my phone when charging. Probably a different calc if you have FSD but at the current asking price that’s a joke (I think you said you bought yours when on sale)

if you have the FSD option then you will get the upgraded FSD/AP computer at some point whether it’s HW2 or HW2.5. You can’t have the FSD option in earlier cars that that.

The MCU upgrade has to be paid for but given the interaction of the MCU and FSD/AP computer and the cabling changes, if you sign up for the MCU upgrade and you are eligible for an AP upgrade then it makes sense to do both at the same time

For clarity you won’t get an MCU upgrade free if you get the AP/FSD upgrade and Tesla don’t offer a discounted MCU upgrade when doing the AP/FSD upgrade.

I listen to DAB too much to want an MCU upgrade. My option is a new car.
Did you do the retrofit yourself?
Yes, my MCU1 was failing (replacement cost at the time was over £2k), car was/is out of warranty, and I was lucky to find MCU2/IC2/Tuner2 from a salvage yard for a decent price. It was hard though.

Also gave me chance to change all the internal silver trim over to the new graphite (there’s a *lot* to replace in Model X!), so all in all it’s like a new car for a fraction of the cost. MCU2 is definitely worth the upgrade in every way.

Yes, my MCU1 was failing (replacement cost at the time was over £2k), car was/is out of warranty, and I was lucky to find MCU2/IC2/Tuner2 from a salvage yard for a decent price. It was hard though.

Also gave me chance to change all the internal silver trim over to the new graphite (there’s a *lot* to replace in Model X!), so all in all it’s like a new car for a fraction of the cost. MCU2 is definitely worth the upgrade in every way.
I’d imagine finding quite a late model salvage S or X would’ve been challenging to say the least....and then doing it all yourself. Kudos there!

Very impressive. You are a brave and talented person! Did you document it in any way? Videos? Pics?

I can't wait to get my upgrade! I've been waiting patiently ever since they announced it in the US!

AFAIK you can’t swap the MCU without copying the data out the emmc or asking Tesla to re-initialise it (this is what all the eMMC memory replacers say and the. Instructions to copy the certificates is online). If you can copy the data the way these guides say, the chances are you’d just replace the memory chips.

For those of us unfamiliar with the intricacies of MCU2 - how does the matching tuner compare to that with MCU1 and would carrying over the existing tuner (with DAB) entail new harness/wiring or is there more to it than that?

I’ve already had the HW3 upgrade carried out, but there was no parts availability (about 2 months ago now) for MCU2 at the time and I’m on the waiting list for it. Though the lack of DAB in the new setup is a downer (for me at least).

There's more threads about the European mcu2 upgrade coming with the tuner as an option...

European MCU2 Upgrade has optional radio tuner upgrade
In late July I put in a service request via the app for MCU2 and HW3 (I have FSD). It was cancelled within 24 hours - parts not available.

About 5 days ago I repeated the request, adding digital tuner, and have heard nothing since. Not sure if that means parts available, not available or status unknown.

In late July I put in a service request via the app for MCU2 and HW3 (I have FSD). It was cancelled within 24 hours - parts not available.

About 5 days ago I repeated the request, adding digital tuner, and have heard nothing since. Not sure if that means parts available, not available or status unknown.
It's not been cancelled so that's good news. Fingers crossed it will go ahead. What date is your appointment? When I spoke to the service centre on Thurs, they said thay still had no idea about pricing.

They cancelled my CCS upgrade with just 2 days to go before the appointment, despite me booking it 4 weeks in advance. :(

Cancelled due to a lack of parts, with no date for parts availability. Can't say I was shocked though, no news is not necessarily good news with Tesla.

I hope you have better luck with your upgrade

Last edited:
I booked mine in for MCU 2 retrofit asking if FM will be lost and if 5Ghz WiFi would be enabled and got this response:

The MCU upgrade costs £2,400. You will loose FM / DAB - The retrofit for this is currently not available but should be at some point in Q4. Please let us know if you wish to proceed or hold off until the radio can be updated too
Thanks
Tesla

I questioned the loss of DAB but didn’t get an answers. I asked if I got it done now would it cost more to get FM/DAB in the future and as expected they said yes so i cancelled for now and will wait until FM/DAB is available. I could live without FM but not DAB but really don’t believe we would lose DAB???