Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades in the UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I booked mine in for MCU 2 retrofit asking if FM will be lost and if 5Ghz WiFi would be enabled and got this response:

The MCU upgrade costs £2,400. You will loose FM / DAB - The retrofit for this is currently not available but should be at some point in Q4. Please let us know if you wish to proceed or hold off until the radio can be updated too
Thanks
Tesla

I questioned the loss of DAB but didn’t get an answers. I asked if I got it done now would it cost more to get FM/DAB in the future and as expected they said yes so i cancelled for now and will wait until FM/DAB is available. I could live without FM but not DAB but really don’t believe we would lose DAB???

My understanding from posts elsewhere is that DAB will be lost because the MCU1 tuner provides analogue output to MCU1, whereas MCU2 vehicles have a tuner with digital output (twisted pair Ethernet). MCU2 is not able to take analogue tuner output, hence all radio is lost in the upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 unless the tuner is also upgraded. DAB is radio (BBC stations in UK are on frequency block 12B (225.648 MHz, according to Wikipedia).

Internet radio may still be available via Tunein but I am not clear about station availability and quality. Internet radio on mobile phone via Bluetooth should also work but changing stations on the move would be problematic.

My understanding from posts elsewhere is that DAB will be lost because the MCU1 tuner provides analogue output to MCU1, whereas MCU2 vehicles have a tuner with digital output (twisted pair Ethernet). MCU2 is not able to take analogue tuner output, hence all radio is lost in the upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 unless the tuner is also upgraded. DAB is radio (BBC stations in UK are on frequency block 12B (225.648 MHz, according to Wikipedia).

Internet radio may still be available via Tunein but I am not clear about station availability and quality. Internet radio on mobile phone via Bluetooth should also work but changing stations on the move would be problematic.

Just had a useful conversation with Heathrow SC. They are waiting for information on availability of parts. The person I spoke to was unsure about the tuner and went off to discuss with a technician, confirming that the MCU2 upgrade includes the digital tuner . I suggested cancelling the appointment, but apparently that would cancel the parts order, so we have rescheduled for late October and they will confirm a week or two before. Fingers crossed.

Just had a useful conversation with Heathrow SC. They are waiting for information on availability of parts. The person I spoke to was unsure about the tuner and went off to discuss with a technician, confirming that the MCU2 upgrade includes the digital tuner . I suggested cancelling the appointment, but apparently that would cancel the parts order, so we have rescheduled for late October and they will confirm a week or two before. Fingers crossed.
What about FM radio? That will never be,or?

I had requested the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for an appointment I had at Park Royal on 23 July when I had the HW3 upgrade done. Unsurprisingly they canned the MCU upgrade due to lack of parts but went ahead with the HW3 upgrade.

Unbeknown to me at the time was the issue with loss of DAB and FM, but also the fact that now having HW3 makes the MCU2 upgrade more complex.

I'll just wait and see I think what Q4 brings. I don't want too lose either FM or DAB and streaming from another source is just not a good enough compromise.

Yep, I'm booked in for MCU1 with HW2 (AP2.0) > MCU2 with HW3 upgrade (I have FSD) and the CCS Upgrade on the 23rd September in Manchester (Stockport SC). Confirmed today that parts are on order and they should be there on time. Otherwise appointment will be pushed back...

We have a March 2017 MS 90D.

Great news, when I tried a few weeks ago I was told they didn't have a time frame yet. Will try again now I think :).

Yep, I'm booked in for MCU1 with HW2 (AP2.0) > MCU2 with HW3 upgrade (I have FSD) and the CCS Upgrade on the 23rd September in Manchester (Stockport SC). Confirmed today that parts are on order and they should be there on time. Otherwise appointment will be pushed back...

Have they confirmed that your FM and DAB tuner is being upgraded as well (if this is indeed important to you)? My understanding wa that they wouldn't have a solution to that until October.

Have they confirmed that your FM and DAB tuner is being upgraded as well (if this is indeed important to you)? My understanding wa that they wouldn't have a solution to that until October.

I didn't ask them TBH. It's not that important to me, that said they didn't flag it wasn't being upgraded either. I guess they can add it retrospectively, albeit they might charge me for the pleasure.

I'll ask on the day. I want the CCS upgrade doing and HW3. So if I have to put off the MCU2 and/or the HW3 it won't be a major issue if they can sort in October. I just wanted the MCU2 upgrade on their system as a request as our MCU1 is starting to get a little flakey and whilst I can't help but get frustrated that there is a systematic design fault there that they should remedy out of warranty, I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

I have an MCU2/HW3 Model X and love the difference it makes to my ownership experience. So I'm keen to get the upgrade done as it will feel like a new car (certainly cheaper than trading in and getting a new Model S). Especially as FSD specific updates are now in the wild (such as 2020.36.10 and as I speak 2020.36.11 is downloading).

Reactions: gangzoom
Following this thread eagerly, HW3 retrofit is a no brainer as I have FSD, but am unsure now about MCU2, especially with Tesla now doing daughter board fix+third party options.

We were doing 15k+ miles per year in the X at which point I would say MCU2 upgrade was a nobrainer, but since the start of this year (pre lockdown), I've made a conscious effort to use our cars less, so far this year our X had done less than 6k miles!!!

Am now walking my daughter to school and commuting by bike, I don't think I'll be doing even 500 miles in the X this month.

Spending £2.5k on a MCU2 retrofit now seems like a waste of money versus a £500 chip replacement given how little we now use the car. The extra £2k will pay 50% of a nice pedal bike upgrade...........yes am seriously thinking of dropping £4k on a pedal bike o_O.

Reactions: squarepeg77
gangzoom - you do flip flop between it's a "must buy" and "cheaper than getting a new car" to "not bothering" :)

I think the smart decision is wait for the official memory board to come out in the UK, see what the general reaction is to the MCU1 with it, and then contemplate the extra cash and whether it's worth it. I've read more complaints about the radio issue as traffic bulletins etc get lost as the tuner disappears if you upgrade, but like all things that mat or may not matter to you.

Reactions: gangzoom
gangzoom - you do flip flop between it's a "must buy" and "cheaper than getting a new car" to "not bothering" :)

It is cheaper than a new car and if I was spending 1hr+ commuting in it a day I would 100% go for it :).

But am lucky enough to be able to leave the car tucked up in the garage most days now, just got home after taking scenic route. The X may have a massive front windscreen to enjoy the view, but there isn't anything quite like the real thing. I cannot think of a better way to unwind after a long week at work!!

50355965976_c3822fc658_b.jpg

50355966711_da8d1a02fe_b.jpg

Reactions: Tomilett
Hey guys, I have my car booked in for this Thursday, parts all confirmed. I'll get MCU2 + HW3 with the upgrade. But honestly I'm getting cold feet as I haven't paid for FSD.. and my MCU1 problems are still covered under warranty.. is it worth doing it?!?

Additionally it's worth noting, I asked if I could keep my screen and have the MCU2 hardware replaced only (but seems as this isn't an option like they have in the US). Also they won't let me keep any old parts they replace, because they are "restricted".

Hey guys, I have my car booked in for this Thursday, parts all confirmed. I'll get MCU2 + HW3 with the upgrade. But honestly I'm getting cold feet as I haven't paid for FSD.. and my MCU1 problems are still covered under warranty.. is it worth doing it?!?

Additionally it's worth noting, I asked if I could keep my screen and have the MCU2 hardware replaced only (but seems as this isn't an option like they have in the US). Also they won't let me keep any old parts they replace, because they are "restricted".
Which service centre? I'll have your appointment if you don't want it .Lol

• Funny
Reactions: nikhon

Upgrade done. it went in for the CCS Upgrade/MCU1 > MCU2 and > AP2.0 to AP3. 8:15am arrival, complete at about 3:30pm.

Like a different car, in fact just like my Model X that has MCU2 and AP3, with the exception of no Radio. SC said fix being worked on, no firm date when it will be. Could be next month, could be in a year, who knows. Equally no idea as to the price for it.

Given we mainly use Spotify for pretty much all of our listening or TuneIn for Podcasts, I really wasn't bothered to wait given our MCU1 was playing up.

CCS worked out of the box. Not tried Supercharger V3 (should have done I forgot there was one at the SC). But I was doing some tests later in the day on Zap-Pay using CCS as Engenie have just opened up all of their charge points in the NW to Zap-Pay and it worked great at 42kW (I was already at 85% charged) on a 50kW CCS.

You do loose all of your settings in terms of profiles and config for the car (i.e. have to select to opt in to all of the Beta's again, doesn't know car name) however the favourites from an audio perspective were all there... go figure.

It had to re-calibrate on the cameras, but that took about 10mins on the M60 on the way home.

Upgrade done. it went in for the CCS Upgrade/MCU1 > MCU2 and > AP2.0 to AP3. 8:15am arrival, complete at about 3:30pm.

Like a different car, in fact just like my Model X that has MCU2 and AP3, with the exception of no Radio. SC said fix being worked on, no firm date when it will be. Could be next month, could be in a year, who knows. Equally no idea as to the price for it.

Given we mainly use Spotify for pretty much all of our listening or TuneIn for Podcasts, I really wasn't bothered to wait given our MCU1 was playing up.

CCS worked out of the box. Not tried Supercharger V3 (should have done I forgot there was one at the SC). But I was doing some tests later in the day on Zap-Pay using CCS as Engenie have just opened up all of their charge points in the NW to Zap-Pay and it worked great at 42kW (I was already at 85% charged) on a 50kW CCS.

You do loose all of your settings in terms of profiles and config for the car (i.e. have to select to opt in to all of the Beta's again, doesn't know car name) however the favourites from an audio perspective were all there... go figure.

It had to re-calibrate on the cameras, but that took about 10mins on the M60 on the way home.
Good news. Are you now able to receive any of Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Classic FM and BBC World Service, e.g. via Tunein?

Mine is booked for upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 + HW3 + digital tuner in late Oct and I am trying to judge whether to postpone if the tuner upgrade is not available then.

That's brilliant. Congrats. You must be the first in the UK?

I can't wait for mine to be done.