Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Gen 3 (Tesla Wall connector) for the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - posts merged from "Order Tesla Gen 3 Charger in UK"

Hi all,

I need a new charger at home and for various reasons want to buy a Tesla one. We’ve had our Pod Point Charger since I had my p85 MS nearly 6 years ago.

However, Tesla have launched the gen 3 charger in the US and I see no reason why I couldn’t order that and get it shipped over here given they’ve not been released here yet.

Can anyone else advise why I could/couldn’t/should/shouldn’t do this?

Cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plug on the chargepoint/the inlet on the car are different between European and USA versions of all Tesla cars. So it's a complete non-starter.

There are also issues of regulatory approval regimes being different in the two places (90% of that is paperwork rather than actual differences, but it's hard to say if there's anything relevant. If the V3 supports WiFi, the available channels and permitted powers are different).

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Moderator comment - posts merged from "GEN 3 Tesla Wall Connector suitable for install grant?"

Hi all,

expat in US here, though trying to give best guidance to family still in UK with Model 3 on order. Apologies for dumb questions in advance ;)

From searches here, rumour from Tesla-approved installer that gen 3 wall connector is due July. Anyone confirm or have more recent knowledge?
If so, then anyone know if this gen3 hpwc is on track to meet criteria for grant-subsidised install? (Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme approved chargepoint model list - GOV.UK)

In US, non-Tesla home AC charging standard plug is j1772, which requires adapter every single time. In UK are there 3rd party chargers that plug straight into 3 that are recommended?

Any recommended electricians / installers In Norwich area? Appears to be a dearth listed by Tesla (or just unable to get the list)

thanks for any answers in advance,

cheers, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the requirement of OLEV grant since mid 2019 was the device must be a smart 'charger'. Prior to that, there was no requirement for Smart charging as it was too 'new'.

As a result, Gen 2 Tesla wall would not meet current requirements, but even before that requirement, the Tesla Wall Connector was never OLEV grand approved. Whether that was because of some physical issue with the wall connector, or just Tesla not going through the process is anyone's guess.

I have not heard whether this will change with Gen 3. Whilst it has Wifi, I have not heard whether it will have OLEV compliant smart charging capability, and even if it did, just like Gen 2, that is no guarantee that it will end up on the OLEV approved list.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
Part of the requirement of OLEV grant since mid 2019 was the device must be a smart 'charger'. Prior to that, there was no requirement for Smart charging as it was too 'new'.

As a result, Gen 2 Tesla wall would not meet current requirements, but even before that requirement, the Tesla Wall Connector was never OLEV grand approved. Whether that was because of some physical issue with the wall connector, or just Tesla not going through the process is anyone's guess.

I have not heard whether this will change with Gen 3. Whilst it has Wifi, I have not heard whether it will have OLEV compliant smart charging capability, and even if it did, just like Gen 2, that is no guarantee that it will end up on the OLEV approved list.

I thought it could not be a single company only charger to qualify for the grant and therefore Tesla will never qualify?

I've not heard that (but had an electricians opinion hint why, but not that - very vague and not worth repeating, probably sour grapes from a manufacturers installer) but even if there was a restriction, the Tesla wall connector is not a single company only charger. In its default setting, the Tesla wall connector is standard type 2 that should charge any type 2 car. There is an internal dip switch that can be set to make charging more restrictive which is sometimes set on Tesla only destination chargers. But setting that switch is against the installation instructions to leave the switch in the default (up) position.

• Informative
I'm also hoping to hear any updates on this. We've just heard our M3 LR is due 6th November (company car lease) and need to get our home charger ordered and installed. I'll be gutted if I order the Tesla unit this week and the Gen 3 arrives in UK straight after.

I'm not so bothered about the grant, and I understand you can use the app to still set the car to charge during off-peak rates, but a smart (Gen 3) charger would surely make the experience easier for us

I'm also hoping to hear any updates on this. We've just heard our M3 LR is due 6th November (company car lease) and need to get our home charger ordered and installed. I'll be gutted if I order the Tesla unit this week and the Gen 3 arrives in UK straight after.

I'm not so bothered about the grant, and I understand you can use the app to still set the car to charge during off-peak rates, but a smart (Gen 3) charger would surely make the experience easier for us
No news to report, I don't think it has hardly any smart abilities yet, so really isn't much different to to current gen2 right now.

@GarethWhyte you can get your electrician to install a blue CEE-type socket either 16 or 32A, then just use the UMC or buy effectively a portable wall charger. I went for the Juice Booster 2, it’s expensive but a really nice product.

We are way out in the boonies here so have 2 electricity supplies and 2 chargers as I just can’t risk relying on local DC charging points, the closest is 25 mins away.

so I have a 16A from house supply and up to 32A from outbuilding supply and can use either charger on either location. Tends to be UMC on the 16A as it lives in the frunk and UMC cable length perfect if I park in forwards to house.

If I get chance I’ll grab some pics of both in action so you get the context as we aren’t in a residential area - for example to put rubbish out for collection it’s almost a mile round trip ......

Reactions: GarethWhyte
@GarethWhyte you can get your electrician to install a blue CEE-type socket either 16 or 32A, then just use the UMC or buy effectively a portable wall charger. I went for the Juice Booster 2, it’s expensive but a really nice product.

We are way out in the boonies here so have 2 electricity supplies and 2 chargers as I just can’t risk relying on local DC charging points, the closest is 25 mins away.

so I have a 16A from house supply and up to 32A from outbuilding supply and can use either charger on either location. Tends to be UMC on the 16A as it lives in the frunk and UMC cable length perfect if I park in forwards to house.

If I get chance I’ll grab some pics of both in action so you get the context as we aren’t in a residential area - for example to put rubbish out for collection it’s almost a mile round trip ......
Thanks that would be really kind of you! Obviously when ever you can.

Gareth