Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on the federal rebate and where it sits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Standard Range no longer exist, gone is the federal incentive hope and all provincial incentives.

Really, Tesla is screwing up with many potential customers like me. It’s a daring move. If effective, I will end up taking my business at a VW dealer.

Put the blame where it belongs. It was clear right from day one that the Feds were deliberately devising an incentive that would exclude Tesla. Tesla came out with a “new” version of the 3 just to become eligible for the federal rebate. It’s clearly an example of our government’s lack of desire to really move the needle on climate change and instead keep the traditional automakers and fossil fuel companies happy.

Go ahead and buy from a company that lied and cheated it’s way through a massive emission scandal and is currently lying about the BEVs it’s selling in Europe to weasel it’s way out of massive emissions penalties there.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Put the blame where it belongs. It was clear right from day one that the Feds were deliberately devising an incentive that would exclude Tesla. Tesla came out with a “new” version of the 3 just to become eligible for the federal rebate. It’s clearly an example of our government’s lack of desire to really move the needle on climate change and instead keep the traditional automakers and fossil fuel companies happy.

Go ahead and buy from a company that lied and cheated it’s way through a massive emission scandal and is currently lying about the BEVs it’s selling in Europe to weasel it’s way out of massive emissions penalties there.

We don’t have 80000$ to spend on a MY LR AWD. So, we will go where our budget can meet our needs. It’s that simple.

Or the government is encouraging car companies to make cheaper EVs
I have no idea why your so cynical

I think, if that is truly the case, that’s great, however, I would simply ask, what is the purpose of any rebate program?

My *guess* is (in theory) the purpose of the rebate is to get more people into no emissions vehicles. I would assume, by extension, this would also be meant to support the environment. So, if you accept all of that as true, why should the price of the car matter...IF, the goal is to get as many electric cars on the road as possible?

If however the goal is to have only lower income families encouraged to buy electric, that is fine as well, but at least say so.

The posting I replied to reads that they were blaming Tesla for "screwing up with many potential customers like me" with respect to the rebate program. Then threatening that they would take their business to VW.

Firstly, Tesla has nothing to do with how the Feds put together the rebate program. In fact the Feds picked limits that happened to be just under the selling price of the Model 3 SR but just above that of the Bolt, then made an extension for 7+ seater passenger than magically allowed the Pacifica to fit in. They tripped over themselves to include the "Big 3" but to exclude Tesla. No they didn't come out and say it explicitly, but it was as obvious as the nose on my face what they were up to. In response, Tesla announced a Canadian only crippled Model 3 for $44,999 in order to be eligible for the rebate.

Then, as far as VW goes, the TDI emissions scandal should need no introduction to anyone. Now it has come to light they're selling cars to themselves to avoid fines under the EU carbon emissions rule.

The poster I replied to has since replied they don't have "80000$ to spend on a MY LR AWD. So, we will go where our budget can meet our needs" and that I'm fine with, but the first posting came off as rather entitled and blaming Tesla. To blame Tesla (the good guys here) for the Federal governments politicking, then to take their money to the liars and cheaters at VW simply rubbed me the wrong way.

The second posting by the person I replied to sounds more reasonable so I'll let it go now, but as for being cynical, well I think the governments' and corporations' actions (and inactions) speak far louder than their words. In the case of VW's their deceit is unforgivable and when it comes to the Federal Government's EV rebate, well at the time it reeked of pork-barrel cronyism and in these days of massive subsidies to fossil fuel companies and penny-pinching "green initiatives" as we're hurtling full-speed ahead to a climate disaster -- I can no longer excuse that.

The posting I replied to reads that they were blaming Tesla for "screwing up with many potential customers like me" with respect to the rebate program. Then threatening that they would take their business to VW.

Firstly, Tesla has nothing to do with how the Feds put together the rebate program. In fact the Feds picked limits that happened to be just under the selling price of the Model 3 SR but just above that of the Bolt, then made an extension for 7+ seater passenger than magically allowed the Pacifica to fit in. They tripped over themselves to include the "Big 3" but to exclude Tesla. No they didn't come out and say it explicitly, but it was as obvious as the nose on my face what they were up to. In response, Tesla announced a Canadian only crippled Model 3 for $44,999 in order to be eligible for the rebate.

Then, as far as VW goes, the TDI emissions scandal should need no introduction to anyone. Now it has come to light they're selling cars to themselves to avoid fines under the EU carbon emissions rule.

The poster I replied to has since replied they don't have "80000$ to spend on a MY LR AWD. So, we will go where our budget can meet our needs" and that I'm fine with, but the first posting came off as rather entitled and blaming Tesla. To blame Tesla (the good guys here) for the Federal governments politicking, then to take their money to the liars and cheaters at VW simply rubbed me the wrong way.

The second posting by the person I replied to sounds more reasonable so I'll let it go now, but as for being cynical, well I think the governments' and corporations' actions (and inactions) speak far louder than their words. In the case of VW's their deceit is unforgivable and when it comes to the Federal Government's EV rebate, well at the time it reeked of pork-barrel cronyism and in these days of massive subsidies to fossil fuel companies and penny-pinching "green initiatives" as we're hurtling full-speed ahead to a climate disaster -- I can no longer excuse that.

Wow, I can’t believe how much you are quoting me on this single likeable post.

In fact, I will indeed add my name on a reservation list at VW dealer today. Sad, we were ready to order the MY SR, we were just waiting for the new console confirmation and headlights.

For the record, Tesla is being criticized all over the place for its bizarre discontinuation of the MY SR and its lack of communication on the matter leaving potential buyer clueless. No blame, just fair open critics.

I don’t blame anybody here and should you.

Regards.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3

No the idea is to encourage low cost EV's. Cars above 45K-50K don't need incentives. I would like to see 10K rebate on cars under 45K with a minimum of 300km range. That would be wise use of tax dollars. With the coming budget disaster there will not be money to give to wealthy people to buy EV's.

Wow, I can’t believe how much you are quoting me on this single likeable post.

In fact, I will indeed add my name on a reservation list at VW dealer today. Sad, we were ready to order the MY SR, we were just waiting for the new console confirmation and headlights.

For the record, Tesla is being criticized all over the place for its bizarre discontinuation of the MY SR and its lack of communication on the matter leaving potential buyer clueless. No blame, just fair open critics.

I don’t blame anybody here and should you.

Regards.

People always waiting for feature upgrades never really buy anyways. The early bird gets the worm. You just waited too long in this case. Once Texas starts producing and other EV makers actually have stock, Tesla will have many options to continue to dominate the market.

People always waiting for feature upgrades never really buy anyways. The early bird gets the worm. You just waited too long in this case. Once Texas starts producing and other EV makers actually have stock, Tesla will have many options to continue to dominate the market.[
People always waiting for feature upgrades never really buy anyways. The early bird gets the worm. You just waited too long in this case. Once Texas starts producing and other EV makers actually have stock, Tesla will have many options to continue to dominate the market.

Waiting wasn’t an option. Everything was closed until the 8th of February because of the pandemic. Finally, we got to try the thing on February 13th and were waiting for few answers by our Tesla SA. I’m still waiting for Tesla SA answers. Well, we were all sadly cut by this surprising news.

For the story, VW happily took my refundable reservation today. Ok, we have to wait until this fall but they are confident to sell the AWD Long Range right below 60k$ CAN. They will confirm pricing and options before April. If true, it’s great news for us leaving in Québec.

The SR was available for 6 weeks! You can't blame somebody for not making a major purchase in that tiny window.

Waiting wasn’t an option. Everything was closed until the 8th of February because of the pandemic. Finally, we got to try the thing on February 13th and were waiting for few answers by our Tesla SA. I’m still waiting for Tesla SA answers. Well, we were all sadly cut by this surprising news.

For the story, VW happily took my refundable reservation today. Ok, we have to wait until this fall but they are confident to sell the AWD Long Range right below 60k$ CAN. They will confirm pricing and options before April. If true, it’s great news for us leaving in Québec.

The Model Y SR is still available off the menu.
You have to call in to order
Tesla Model Y Standard Range is still available 'off menu,' but Elon Musk doesn't like the range - Electrek