Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on the major software rewrite?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Some months back there was word of a major rewrite of the software that would be released by the end of 2020. I seem to recall Elon saying he was already using a version of it for his daily driving, and by year's end they'd begin sending it out selectively, but it sounded broader than just the Early Access Program (is that still a thing?).

I haven't heard anything about it lately. When I got the notice for version 48 recently, I got excited that that might be it, but it's just a routine update.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything more about this software that was supposed to be a major overhaul to Autopilot and FSD features? Just curious. I'm used to slipping timelines...

Reactions: APotatoGod
Some months back there was word of a major rewrite of the software that would be released by the end of 2020. I seem to recall Elon saying he was already using a version of it for his daily driving, and by year's end they'd begin sending it out selectively, but it sounded broader than just the Early Access Program (is that still a thing?).

I haven't heard anything about it lately. When I got the notice for version 48 recently, I got excited that that might be it, but it's just a routine update.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything more about this software that was supposed to be a major overhaul to Autopilot and FSD features? Just curious. I'm used to slipping timelines...

There's dozens and dozens of youtube videos of the folks running the FSD Beta preview stuff on city streets.

That said- it's pretty far from ready for higher than L2- and it doesn't appear to be an actual "total rewrite" it's the exact same 48 firmware you have, with additional code turned on specifically for city-street driving and that's it.

Software -Firmware discussions - link

Er .. have you been watching any of the threads or YouTube videos on the FSD beta? That's the rewrite you are asking about. Search on "FSD beta" here or on YouTube.

I was under the impression the "rewrite" software was for FSD only. That's what Elon was saying he was using in his daily driver. That is in beta release only right now, and obviously only to FSD cars and select drivers.

Separately, and for the rest of us, is v11 which has been referred to as the Holiday Update. I'm not aware of anyone getting it yet.

Why post guesses at fact
Because its the single major software thing bar none that Tesla have been working on and talking about for well over a year and is currently in beta,

While its true Tesla may release something called V11 with random stuff in it and no FSD release, that would just be messing with version numbers. At the end if the day its FSD that everyone is watching and waiting for.