Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news/rumors of SoCal supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, although that location would be just dandy with me...

My last road-trip I ended up hobbling up from Paso Robles at 55mph, being passed by semis, barely making it to Gilroy, only to get the email about Atascadero being open not four days later... I have a hunch history will repeat itself... :p

LOL. The exact same thing happened to me. I went down to SD for the July 4th weekend and stopped by Santa Barbara along the way. The day I arrived in SD (July 3rd), I saw on Twitter that they had opened up the Supercharger in Atascadero and Buellton. Needless to say, I wouldn't have had to arrive at midnight in SB with 30 miles left if those SC's were online just 2 days earlier. Luckily, the Rabobank in SB had a Roadster charger I could use.

My recent road trip to Portland also ended just 1 day before the Woodburn SC went online.....

Still no building permit attached to this. I wonder what the delay is?

AC13-027ARCHITECTURAL CNTRLTesla Charging Stations at Union Bank31971 CAMINO CAPISTRANO LS08/02/2013
Looks like it was approved 8/8/13
Details - Project# AC13-027
Project Info
Site Info
Contacts (1)
Inspections
Conditions
Reviews

Project#:AC13-027
Type:ARCHITECTURAL CNTRL
Subtype:COMMERCIAL
Planner:Laura Stokes
Applied Date:8/2/2013
Approved Date:8/8/2013
Closed Date:8/8/2013
Expired Date:
Description:

Address:31971 CAMINO CAPISTRANO Map View
world_24_hot.gif
City, State, Zip:SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, CA, 92675
Assessor PIN or Tax Lot No.: 121-150-17
Subdivision:
Tract:
Block:
Lot: 37
Sect-Twp-Rng: 0-0-0
Lot Size (SF): 35000

Perhaps they decided to reconsider the location. I, for one, believe a better choice would have been the section of Del Obispo Plaza that is adjacent to the 5 freeway. Not only is it closer to the freeway but it is also significantly less congested.

Well, further south would be nice...

Yes. Originally I was thinking Oceanside, but the supercharger map makes it clear they chose San Juan. The only question now is: where in San Juan if not the Union Bank?

edit: one benefit of San Juan over Oceanside is it does allow people to stay on the 5 and make it to Tejon without stopping in Hawthorne.

Last edited:
Perhaps they decided to reconsider the location. I, for one, believe a better choice would have been the section of Del Obispo Plaza that is adjacent to the 5 freeway. Not only is it closer to the freeway but it is also significantly less congested.

I actually thought the better location would be in San Clemente - somewhere that's more readily accessible (i.e. no backtracking) for people traveling on both the 5 freeway or P.C.H.

Made a trip over to the union bank location today. No progress at all. The area is freeway close, but crowded with tourists. I would have chosen something a bit east of the 5 freeway. In terms of North - south, here or San Clemente would really be beneficial for Sd - LA trips.
With all the locals that have a ModelS, I'd suggest Tesla puts in the swapper here to still allow road trips, but discourage frugal locals.

So what's the hold up here? There's proof of a permit, so we can't blame the red tape. Are they having trouble finding a contractor to do the job?

I was hoping they had reconsidered the location, but I have seen several references recently to SJC that lead me to believe that is not the case.

On another thread someone mentioned that some utility work seemed to be occurring about a block away by the train tracks, so maybe there is some electrical utility grid tie in work that needs to be completed.

Great news. 7 seems like an odd number (yes, I know it is literally odd) of chargers. Every SC can be split 60/60 between two charging bays so it seems like they should have done 8. Oh well, I was only expecting 4 to be honest so 7 comes as a nice surprise.