Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non-employee get to configure their Model 3 yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 6 weeks thing was mostly a joke, people with super late reservations got moved waaaaaaaaaay up because they were/are owners.

In general though I wouldn't assume you'd see a 2018 delivery.

I would not be surprised if a current X and S owner was moved to the top of the list even if they reserve today. Current owners funded the Model 3 and need to be properly rewarded. After all current X and S owners receive their cars, then Tesla will start to deliver non-current owners their vehicles.

I would not be surprised if a current X and S owner was moved to the top of the list even if they reserve today. Current owners funded the Model 3 and need to be properly rewarded. After all current X and S owners receive their cars, then Tesla will start to deliver non-current owners their vehicles.
While I agree with you, there is some argument that buyers picking up at the FDC are much more profitable sales than those picking up their M3 in, say, Maine. That flat $1000 destination charge is ~100% margin at the FDC. That said, I can absolutely see Elon unabashedly moving S/X owners to the front of the M3 line ~forever, since those vehicles come with ~25% gross margin to Tesla, far more GM%/$ than M3 will be offering to the MotherShip anytime soon.

Reactions: hayabusa4u
If anyone is curious, if you select “Hold my place in line” you get another questionnaire asking if you are waiting for the base model, the dual motor, or some other date with an option to choose a month.

They then say you will get another email after your options are available. I filled this out so that they can pass me over for first production since I want AWD. Just doing my small part to keep things moving. :)

AF95D5C0-4B3E-43EF-A669-2774F584C7E3.jpeg
F4644AA2-88E1-4FCA-864A-513A27249BE0.jpeg

I'm trying to figure out why non-Tesla employees have an opportunity to configure this soon.

There are over 40K employees and they are supposed to get the first opportunity to configure before anyone else according to Tesla. Tesla has only made 2000 cars at the most and now the employees are finished with their orders? That's odd. There must be thousands upon thousands of employees waiting for one of the two remaining options.

I'm trying to figure out why non-Tesla employees have an opportunity to configure this soon.

There are over 40K employees and they are supposed to get the first opportunity to configure before anyone else according to Tesla. Tesla has only made 2000 cars at the most and now the employees are finished with their orders? That's odd. There must be thousands upon thousands of employees waiting for one of the two remaining options.

Maybe only 5% needed a car at that moment. I think the question would be. How often does a Tesla/SpaceX employee turn over their car? Have at it. Would love to see the sample size of the poll.