Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any non premium pkg deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone has taken delivery of an X without the premium package. Specifically, my questions are related to the fog lights(do they exist in non-prem pkg?) and what is the interior like without the extra trim and ambiance lighting?

No fog lights with non premium.

We do not know that yet. There was also not supposed to be an active spoiler on non performance models, but there is. Also the premium says LED fog lights. It is possible that the non premium would get fog lights, but just without LED lights. Again, we will not know until someone gets one. It can't be very off now ...

We do not know that yet. There was also not supposed to be an active spoiler on non performance models, but there is. Also the premium says LED fog lights. It is possible that the non premium would get fog lights, but just without LED lights. Again, we will not know until someone gets one. It can't be very off now ...
I asked a rep when I took X test drive about fog light. He told me No.
What about the spoiler? Can you clarify? I would love to have a spoiler on the 90D.

Last edited:
I asked a rep when I took X test drive about fog light. He told me No.
What about the spoiler? Can you clarify? I would love to have a spoiler on the 90D.

You will find some early discussion of the active spoiler on the non performance 90D in this thread:
Model X Range

Previously the consensus from the reps were that the spoiler would be fixed. So we shall see with the fog lights. I could also imagine future 90Ds with fixed spoilers. This roll out has been anything but smooth so hard to predict what will be what. My advise is until you see or hear about a direct case on an actual Model X of what something is to refrain from stating it as fact even if Elon Musk tweets it!

I suspect it's the cloth seats.

I find it somewhat ironic that in such a technology-laden car the thing they seem unable to procure is standard to every base-model vehicle made. Can you imagine waiting additional months for the cloth seat version of your Hyundai because you didn't opt for leather?

I guess it will be interesting to see if a non-PUP but leather car makes it to the end of the production line first...

I find it somewhat ironic that in such a technology-laden car the thing they seem unable to procure is standard to every base-model vehicle made. Can you imagine waiting additional months for the cloth seat version of your Hyundai because you didn't opt for leather?

I guess it will be interesting to see if a non-PUP but leather car makes it to the end of the production line first...

It's just a business move to produce and delivery the most expensive versions first.

You will find some early discussion of the active spoiler on the non performance 90D in this thread:
Model X Range

Previously the consensus from the reps were that the spoiler would be fixed. So we shall see with the fog lights. I could also imagine future 90Ds with fixed spoilers. This roll out has been anything but smooth so hard to predict what will be what. My advise is until you see or hear about a direct case on an actual Model X of what something is to refrain from stating it as fact even if Elon Musk tweets it!
Tesla is NOT releasing enough information; and sadly, customers had to find every bit of information amount themselves.

It's just a business move to produce and delivery the most expensive versions first.
My point is that cars costing much less than others are being delivered first. Everything hinges on the PUP or not having cloth seats. I just don't like leather seats or find them to be "premium" or desirable. My P90DL config was $137,450 - $150,469 after taxes. You can configure a 90D with the PUP for $102,500 and have received it in much less time. So far there have been no reports of a non-PUP or cloth seat vehicle being delivered, regardless of any other upgrades.

I'm honestly not of the opinion that those who pay more should get their cars first over those who have waited longer, but Tesla made the rules of the game and then didn't really stand by them, or even prioritize by order or reservation date. I'm imagining that it's actually a real sh*tshow on the factory floor and they are trying to get whatever is buildable and working at the moment out the door and problem / delayed cars are piling up to the wayside.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamZ
My point is that cars costing much less than others are being delivered first. Everything hinges on the PUP or not having cloth seats. I just don't like leather seats or find them to be "premium" or desirable. My P90DL config was $137,450 - $150,469 after taxes. You can configure a 90D with the PUP for $102,500 and have received it in much less time. So far there have been no reports of a non-PUP or cloth seat vehicle being delivered, regardless of of any other upgrades.

I'm honestly not of the opinion that those who pay more should get their cars first over those who have waited longer, but Tesla made the rules of the game and then didn't really stand by them, or even prioritize by order or reservation date. I'm imagining that it's actually a real sh*tshow on the factory floor and they are trying to get whatever is buildable and working at the moment out the door and problem / delayed cars are piling up to the wayside.

Tesla has not stated what determines which order the cars are built in, so your statement of "then didn't stand by them' is nonsense.

You do have a good point about the configurations.

I believe that the order is determined by many factors from the obvious ones (config and destination) to other factors that are impossible to know (thus causing everyone fits as they can not reverse engineer the process).

Tesla has not stated what determines which order the cars are built in, so your statement of "then didn't stand by them' is nonsense.

You do have a good point about the configurations.

I believe that the order is determined by many factors from the obvious ones (config and destination) to other factors that are impossible to know (thus causing everyone fits as they can not reverse engineer the process).

IIRC, the design studio in December said that P90Ds would be early 2016 delivery, 90Ds would be mid-2016, and 70Ds as well as 5-seat interiors were later than that. How could that not be interpreted as a prioritization of build order? At present there are many 90D vehicles that are being delivered while there are many P90D vehicles that were ordered up to two months earlier that have not, some due to non-PUP and cloth seat choices (none delivered yet that I know of), some perhaps for other reasons.

I can't be the only one who got the impression from the design studio that if I ordered a P90D I would get it sooner than if I ordered a 90D, and certainly sooner than if I ordered a 90D in February instead of December. Basically the configuration factors that they indicated mattered for delivery time (and also cost $20k+ extra), didn't, and ones they did not indicate as time-sensitive like the premium interior or seat material, *did* matter. Beyond that, they still never communicated these issues and we can only infer this from reverse-engineering the process, as you say. At the minimum they should have counseled the buyers and offered to waive the $500 change fees to give people the "opportunity" to pay more money to change their configurations to something they could build with the materials on-hand. For me, I found the $500 fee to be an insulting charge considering it was a lack of accurate communication on their part that got many of us in this position. Further, my DS told me that changing my configuration wouldn't necessarily decrease the time to delivery so it wasn't worth the gamble.

Reactions: WilliamZ
Colby, the one thing you wrote that I agree with is that, "I'm imagining that it's actually a real sh*tshow on the factory floor and they are trying to get whatever is buildable and working at the moment out the door and problem / delayed cars are piling up to the wayside."

Otherwise, yes P90D then 90D then 75D was the intended build order, but even that has changed drastically, as they have moved up the 90D orders (if you live in CA) to keep the line moving. They had some issues with Onyx wheels and I still think there are signature cars and early VINs that haven't been delivered yet, probably due to QC issues. It's a real crazy roll-out and I feel for Tesla employees right now. But good luck trying to predict build order - I'm sure it changes daily.

With regards to allowing customers to change their order based on availability of parts: are you crazy? They can't seem to get the roll-out together and you want to throw another variable into the mix? That would make planning even harder for Tesla - it's not going to happen.

With regards to allowing customers to change their order based on availability of parts: are you crazy? They can't seem to get the roll-out together and you want to throw another variable into the mix? That would make planning even harder for Tesla - it's not going to happen.

I think your example of the onyx wheel issue can show how not far-fetched this can be. They are having some unforeseen trouble sourcing a 22" wheel painted onyx, but not when painted silver. Suppose this is the only item holding up delivery of the person's car. Wouldn't it be worth it to offer them wheels in silver without a change fee and order more silver wheels from the supplier? Even if this meant that you might be receiving a number of onyx wheels down the road, I'm sure you could use them as more orders are placed. Customers were already allowed to make such changes anyway for a $500 charge, so they already needed be ready to deal with such contingencies by overstocking components initially. Tesla also benefits by closing sales and getting the full purchase price of the vehicle finally paid. I'm surprised they weren't having the DSs begging people to switch some of their design choices for free just to increase the number of cars they could finish quickly.

VIN 26xx, non PUP: Talked to my DS yesterday and my car has been built and is being painted. Expects delivery in next 2 weeks. Saw and touched the material for the the nonPUP and it is slightly thinner, flimsier and less suedy than the Alcantera. My first impression holding a sample was that it might not be very durable especially on sun exposed surfaces like the top of the dash however it also doesn't show all the marks that the suede shows. I hope it is stronger than it looks and feels. All of this remains to be seen and we will know shortly. Saw a sample of the dark ash and it looks to me like black plastic with very little discernable grain.

• Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
VIN 26xx, non PUP: Talked to my DS yesterday and my car has been built and is being painted. Expects delivery in next 2 weeks. Saw and touched the material for the the nonPUP and it is slightly thinner, flimsier and less suedy than the Alcantera. My first impression holding a sample was that it might not be very durable especially on sun exposed surfaces like the top of the dash however it also doesn't show all the marks that the suede shows. I hope it is stronger than it looks and feels. All of this remains to be seen and we will know shortly. Saw a sample of the dark ash and it looks to me like black plastic with very little discernable grain.

You are referring to the material on the dashboard, or the headliner?

Did you have a chance to see/touch the non-PUP seats? I take delivery in 4-5 weeks but haven't heard a peep on the forums about non-PUP leather seat quality. That's my last little niggling area of doubt about the various build decisions I've made.

I saw samples of the material in the Tesla store. I ordered the Tan leather and it is my understanding that they are the same as in the S. I sat in a new S a few weeks ago with the Tan leather seats and they are really nice and not perforated. It's my understanding that the nonPremium material I saw goes on the top of the dash and the headliner both. If anyone knows differently I would be interested. I'm actually hoping that it does not go on top of the dash.

• Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
So far all the 90D's I have seen are exactly the same as the sigs, but without P&L. Given that P&L are only part of the skateboard and that is standard between MS and MX, it is not a hard swap.

If you are Tesla trying to get as many cars out as quickly and reliably as you can in the early stages, you make all the cars that are exactly the same as possible. If you accept the above statement that the skateboard is a trivial swap, then a loaded 90'd that has everything a Sig does is the easiest to build.