Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any noteworthy differences between 2017 and 2018 S100Ds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Have mostly had my eye on 2018s, which appear to have a few key features I want (sub-zero, ultra hifi, premium package, HEPA) as standard equipment. But, lately, a handful of 2017s that claim to have all the same features have come to my attention. Are there any features that changed in that timeframe that would be worth noting? Anything about the seats (are the headrests different?) or the battery or the battery warranty?

Thanks,

Todd

The potential differences are seats, autopilot computer, and MCU.

2017 S 100Ds produced prior to ~July 2017 will have the “next gen” cloth or leather seats made by Recaro. After July all Model S were switched to the in-house “premium” vinyl Tesla seats with an adjustable headrest.

In ~August 2017 Tesla started shipping the Autopilot “2.5” computer along with a radar upgrade and different autopilot cameras. This is only consequential with FSD, and the computer (and cameras if necessary) will be upgraded for free if you buy the FSD package.

In ~March 2018 Tesla started shipping the second generation infotainment system, called MCU2. Earlier cars can be upgraded to the new system (necessary if you want most new features) for ~$2000.

Reactions: Spicyfurball
Cars manufactured from March 2018 and later came with MCU2 (faster center screen). You should ask the seller if the car has mcu2 and the fsd computer. Both years can be upgraded if the owner opted to do that.

Hello all,

Have mostly had my eye on 2018s, which appear to have a few key features I want (sub-zero, ultra hifi, premium package, HEPA) as standard equipment. But, lately, a handful of 2017s that claim to have all the same features have come to my attention. Are there any features that changed in that timeframe that would be worth noting? Anything about the seats (are the headrests different?) or the battery or the battery warranty?

Thanks,

Todd
MCU2 rolled out in March 2018, which makes a big performance difference and provides several features like sentry mode. You can always upgrade a 2017, but it will cost you $1500-2000 depending on if you want FM/Sirius.

Thanks all. The cars all have MCU2 and AP3 (should have said); the seats are an interesting delta. Any thoughts on the advantages of next gen vs premium?

Thanks. Anything more?

Seats are really a personal preference thing. I can’t say one is fundamentally better than the other. I’m quite tall, 6’5”, and find the premium seats a bit more comfortable to me. Though my personal car has the next-gens, and they’re fine too. A bit more aggressive bolstering.

I don’t think the adjustable headrest is a huge advantage.

Seats are really a personal preference thing. I can’t say one is fundamentally better than the other. I’m quite tall, 6’5”, and find the premium seats a bit more comfortable to me. Though my personal car has the next-gens, and they’re fine too. A bit more aggressive bolstering.

I don’t think the adjustable headrest is a huge advantage.
Funny thing is I had a Model S with the Next Gen seats, liked them fine. Problem was you couldn’t put Tesla’s coat hangers on them, so I had to go with a somewhat lacking aftermarket solution for hanging my suit jacket in the morning. Not a decisive factor, but would be a nice thing to have! Thanks!

Reactions: ucmndd
Check the onboard charger amperage. 2018’s were typically 72amp charging capability. Nit sure 2017. Also towards mid/end 2018, tesla stopped the panoramic roof and went all in glass roof only.

My 2017 100D has the high amperage charger (72 amp) and the build sheet lists the seats as “White premium smooth.” If you’re interested, here’s the build information - https://tesla-info.com/car/US-5YJSA1E23HF222308

I did have the MCU upgrade done at the time of purchase and it was much needed!

Just rolled 70k miles and have an indicated range of ~309miles at 100% charge with overall battery degradation at 9.3%.